Rosenfels to be backup? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rosenfels to be backup?

I agree with that and I like his upside and always thought of him as a better option than Griese.This organization is making strides and it will be noticed come Sept. you watch.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rosenfels to be backup?

Originally posted by Trekbiz

This I don't agree with at all however.
Unless you are an established starter with a track record like Favre, Manning, Vick, McNair, etc. your job is never set in stone.
If starting jobs were just given out before being competed for then there would be no need for training camps correct?
If jobs were given out without competition then no one would ever move up the depth chart. If jobs weren't competed for you'd never know if a player was better than another!
Dosen't make to much sense when you actually think about what you're saying on this issue.
Especially in this case. QB controversy? There already is one.
Neither Sage nor Feeley have proven anything nor have a track record to afford them a "proceed to a starting job for free pass".
One needs to step up and SHOW he is ready for the job.
To tell Feeley he is our first choice BUT that he has to prove his worth is common sense. You still make him compete! That is competition for a starting job. A controversy is when a coach, players, or media question who the starter is after one is picked NOT before the competitors fight it out for the job!

I see what you're saying, and there's definitely validity to it. I'm not saying that we stick with Feeley for 16 games, no matter what happens. He certainly hasn't earned that right like Favre, Vick, Manning, etc. But given the investment we've made in him, I think we have to give him the job coming out of training camp unless he really, really, really sucks.

If he plays very badly in the first couple games, then yeah, it's time for open competition. But I don't think you can make a heavy investment like that and not at least give him the benefit of the doubt coming out of training camp.

Certainly, QB is a position that needs to be monitored on an ongoing basis. Confidence and team support are very important coming into the season, and the coaching staff, after four years of mostly non-stop QB controversy, needs to get behind their guy and tell the team "THIS is our guy until and unless he proves otherwise."

Rosenfels, or whoever is brought in as backup, should have plenty of motivation to play well, even if Wanny doesn't proclaim it an open competition. They know they're just an injury or some bad plays away from going into the game. I don't think anyone is arguing that Feeley has the kind of ironclad grip on the job that Steve McNair does in Tennessee.

Originally posted by MiamiFan1354
This could be an indication that we may try to draft a QB. Maybe not someone in the first, but def opens the door for a QB. You have to figure that any rookie qb would be a third string guy for a year or two, so all in all, this could be a good thing.. Could be nice.

Exactly!

Originally posted by inFINSible
They didn't have to......if anyone wanted game film on him, there were 5 games from 2002 that were available.:tongue:

As if 5 games is gonna show you alot. Well, it is better than nothing at all I guess. Even so, do you think there is enough film on him to literally elevate him to a #2 or better pick?? I surely don't cuz if it were, then there would have been alot more inquiries about him since 2002 other than the jets and the only reason they did was becuase Pennington went down and they need someone to backup "testeman" or whoever. But just how the deal came to be that the Eagles wanted a #2 for him then, I'm not sure, but the jets didn't bite and a yr later, WE do.
I still think it is quite odd for this FO to pin the hopes of our "win now" plan on the shoulders of a 3rd string backup. Just plain odd, particularly since we just went thru that phase 4 yrs ago and we're no where closer then than before, either.

Originally posted by finregime
Something to think about with Wanny is that his loyalty is to Fiedler but if Fiedler isnt here I see it as open competition.Sage has been good in preseason but if given the chance against some first team Def. lets see what happens.

R U now "complaining about a guy that hasn't even had a frikkin' chance to prove us right or wrong" yet?? ;) :lol:

Back
Top Bottom