Royals Agrees to Terms | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Royals Agrees to Terms

Mark Royals...............

is a fairly consistent punter. I'm not sure if he's better than Matt, but we'll have to wait and see that come to fruition. If Matt wanted that much money, than that's crazy to pay a punter over 1 million a season!:fire:

:monkey: Matt Turk and his agent

Royals S-U-C-K-S. Hence why I mentioned the possibility of drafting a punter to compete with Royals. The cap hit would be less if one of those drafted punters could come in and beat him because the salary is lower.

Royals was 14th in the NFC and 27th overall in the league.

I'm not so high on Royals either but Turk wanted a salary that just wasn't feasible for the 'Fins. It would've been nice to have Turk back though since the guy is about as big a stud as there is at the punter position in the NFL. The guy is built like a safety and can boom the ball into position virtually every time. I just really hope he doesn't wind up with the Jests, I would hate to see him over there slamming punts inside our 20 all the time. Then again, with the outlook for the Jests this year, he may get a lot of on the field practice with their pathetic team. :evil:

I'm probably more mad then anything because I think this Travis Dorsch kid might have been worth going after.

Kid can kick or punt. Missed only one field goal inside the 50 and averaged 48.47 yards a punt. Dorsch could be good enough to do something that should come back into vogue one of these days and that is the dual kicker (2 for the price of one). Let the kid punt for a while and if Mare ever gets hurt or starts losing his touch you have a guy right there.

Or for a straight up punter Dave Zastudil doesn't sound half bad either. Here is a report on him over at CBS Sportsline:

Positives: Well-proportioned with a solid frame, thick thighs and long legs…Has superb hands, making proper adjustments to the off-target snap…Holds for placements and field goals…Has outstanding leg strength…Adjusts to pressure well and can improvise when his protection breaks down…Two-step kicker with an average of 1.21 in his touch-to-toe mechanics…Gets excellent rise and turnover behind his kicks…Has solid control with good hang time (4.2 second average)… Shows accuracy placing his attempts inside the 20-yard line…Has the large. Soft hands needed to field the ball in poor weather conditions… Mentally tough and not aftraid to run with the ball… Shows functional aggression getting downfield to lend support for the coverage unit…Has great lower body flexibility and bend, showing proper extension and hip flexibility in his ball release.

Negatives: Has all the intangibles, but will on occasion kick across his body, which causes his ball position to be off a little bit…Otherwise, there are no flaws in his game

Not to mention this guy is 6'1" and 222lbs.

I'm just really really not liking this Royal deal.

royals price was much better than turks so maybe placing him with a better special team he will do much better too i think it was a great move by the phins front office

Exactly 39. It means we can cut him before the regular season with only a 25000 cap hit. Since this is a one year deal I'm still hoping we draft one of those punters. I have a feeling we will if one of those 2 makes it to our 7th (Travis won't but Dave might.)

By the way some of you are talking, you make it sound like we just replaced Ray Guy with the Uwe von Schamann of punters.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Well we definately went from "decent" to scrapping the bottom of the punter pile.

Yeah, we did that in a trade with the Redskins in 2000, too. Gee, Turk turned out "decent" afterall, huh?

Originally posted by Blitz

Yeah, we did that in a trade with the Redskins in 2000, too. Gee, Turk turned out "decent" afterall, huh?

Actually Turk sucked the first year here and had a much better year last year. However Royals is 37 years old and I don't see much of a chance of him being able to put together more then one good year (and I'm betting he does that around age 40 ;p)

Come on now, we're talking about the punter position. The difference between 30th in every statistical category and 1st in punting is not that bad. It's not like the difference between a QB who throws over 5000 yards and one who only threw for over 2000.

He's a friggin' punter, for crying out loud. He'll be fine. It's not like many punts of his have been blocked.

As for the guy you want, the kicker/punter from Purdue, he's projected as a kicker moreso than a punter due to the fact he holds the ball too long while punting. He won the Ray Guy award, but can you name the 2000 Ray Guy award winner and what team he plays for? Didn't think so.

Originally posted by Blitz
Come on now, we're talking about the punter position. The difference between 30th in every statistical category and 1st in punting is not that bad. It's not like the difference between a QB who throws over 5000 yards and one who only threw for over 2000.

He's a friggin' punter, for crying out loud. He'll be fine. It's not like many punts of his have been blocked.

As for the guy you want, the kicker/punter from Purdue, he's projected as a kicker moreso than a punter due to the fact he holds the ball too long while punting. He won the Ray Guy award, but can you name the 2000 Ray Guy award winner and what team he plays for? Didn't think so.

Lets talk when Royals is shanking punts. To a team that lives and dies by field position giving up 6 yards (the difference between Turk/Royals) per punt can be the difference between a TD and a field goal or a team being in field goal range or not. Sorry but unlike you I don't accept crap just because it's a "friggin' punter".

As for the 2000 Ray Guy Award winner his name was Kevin Stemke who went undrafted and signed with Green Bay. Stemke has nothing on Travis or Dave, both of which are expected to be drafted. So that points moot.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Lets talk when Royals is shanking punts. To a team that lives and dies by field position giving up 6 yards (the difference between Turk/Royals) per punt can be the difference between a TD and a field goal or a team being in field goal range or not. Sorry but unlike you I don't accept crap just because it's a "friggin' punter".

As for the 2000 Ray Guy Award winner his name was Kevin Stemke who went undrafted and signed with Green Bay. Stemke has nothing on Travis or Dave, both of which are expected to be drafted. So that points moot.

Turk's punting average last year was 41.0 and Royals' was 40.7. Wow, 0.3 yards difference.

The difference between a great punter and an average one is not that much. Certainly the difference between Turk and Royals is not as big as you make it seem out to be, for whatever reason(s). And who knows how well Royals will play this year in a new environment.

And my point with the Ray Guy award winner is that just because a guy was good at punting in college does not mean he's going to make it in the pros.

Back
Top Bottom