*rumor* No Source - Texans Looking To Move Clowney???

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GCD960, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:43 PM.

1. Goin' Deep

Goin' Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

And just how many draft picks would you throw in?

Daytona Fin likes this.
  2. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

Might have to send a pic of Jason Taylor, too.

3. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Lol..you assume a QB pick early?

srp1979 likes this.
  4. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Shifty Gold Administrator Finheaven VIP

While I'm not the type to get super excited about draft picks, this is the best bet. If the team was a just a handful of pieces away from making multiple playoff runs, then I would agree with trading for him. But since this team is clearly in a rebuilding phase and signing big players to the team clearly hadn't worked, it's time we build through the draft.

That being said, if he can be had for super cheap, then go for it. Since that most likely isn't the case then they need to pass and focus on building a young team.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 7:28 AM
  5. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

How are we placed re salary cap to afford what would be an extremely expensive commitment for Clowney for at least the next 3 years? All my business instincts tell me to save the big money now to be able to spend next year.

Mach2 likes this.
  6. meatpardle

meatpardle Well-Known Member

We have and will have plenty of cap space. Currently looking at $20mil+. Not saying that we should, but it could easily be done.

spiketex likes this.
  7. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I’m in if the price is right.

8. traptses

traptses Starter

If I remember correctly from about a month or two ago, it was looking like he wasn’t interested in signing long term with Houston. It may not cost as much as you’d think to get him

9. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

Can't see why the Texans would trade him unless the contract talks have turned toxic.

they have a young cheap QB, a stud #1 receiver and a good defensive core.

AFCS isn't a cake walk but still a winnable division

10. meatpardle

meatpardle Well-Known Member

Hard to believe from a team with no GM and the flexible and accommodating Bill O'Brien calling the shots.

One thing unlikely to contribute to a harmonious negotiation is the Texans declaring him as an LB rather than DE when franchise tagging, and therefore being obligated to pay him less.

https://deadspin.com/the-texans-are-stiffing-jadeveon-clowney-1836374234

11. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

The Texans had JJ Watt and Clowney and haven't been close to win a championship. We are no where near one player away from completing a championship defense. Trading for a guy like Clowney is a "win now" Move. Plus Clowney is overrated. Has has been since college. I've never seen a prospect who draft hype was from one single play in college. And that was early on his college career. He looks the part but no where near anything special just a solid DE. Very very over hyped player.

rickd13 and Travis34 like this.
  12. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

We loaded up on draft picks to make sure we can get a young QB of the future if Rosen doesn't pan out. Not a 27 year old oft injured Dlinemen.

I hope.

13. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Doesn't make sense for Miami. Slimm mentioned it before the draft, but Pass Rushers help put you over the top - when you're already good. They don't make bad teams good. What does make bad teams good? Playcallers, QB's, OL, and receiving options.

The Bears had a stacked D and an elite DC, but they needed a Pass Rusher. But, even with a historically good D, Chicago came up short because of their QB (and Kicker), and the D is bound to regress in 2020 (would have even if Fangio stayed). In life and football, invest in things with staying power. Offensive production is sticky, because so much of its success is tied to Playcaller, QB, and OL - all tend to be good or bad year over year. Miami isn't close to where Chicago was, but even if they were, that type of investment in a Pass Rusher is more questionable than most understand.

14. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

Depends on the compensation pick-wise. For Pete’s sake, this team is taking well over $20 million in salary cap damage for Tannehill and Suh this year. I’m not all that concerned about taking on some salary; that’ll be off the books next year.

Etuoo33 likes this.
  15. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

And he'll have no JJ Watt in Miami so he'll be the DC's prime focus. Sorry, I'm in the camp top FAs are for teams 1-2 pieces away. Miami isn't there.