Run Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Run Defense

Look Bronc...RW has maybe not lived up to the hype from college to this point in his career, but unless you've actually seen RW run this year you wouldn't undrestand. You can't always go strictly off stats to tell a players true worth.

Alot of times RW has made yards where average backs would have had a loss. Those kinds of things are what keep drives alive and are the difference between scoring and giving the ball back to the other team with a tired D. Everyone knows we are gonna run RW and he still makes plays and gets nice yardage. He has also demonstrated a big play ability that was sorely missing from his game the last few years. I have watched every game and see a completely different RW than the one who was with NO last year.

The BRoncs have an exciting young team and do alot of things well, I think they will challenge Miami and may even win a close game, but to come on here and spout stats that you can twist whatever way you want, does not a football expert make.

Instead when you point out stats of these teams and wonder why they are ranked lower look at the RB's they've faced and think to yourself could it be a coincidence the lower ranked teams usually have faced the top backs? Have you considered for a moment the reason most of the teams Mia have faced against the run could be there because they've played Miami and haven't been to pad their rush totals like other teams?

Stats can be misleading and can also be manipulated to say what you want them to, something to think about the next time you are neanderthaling around the net looking for your next conclusive "stat" to tell the world how much smarter you are than them.

I'm done now.

"You wanna talk football thats fine. I cant teach you how to discuss the issues in a way that is both respectful and objective. There is plenty of room to disagree on these boards. Buy you my friend lack both the tone and the tact to do so in an adult manner. "

I lack tone and tact? I am the one being called names, not the other way around....I'm still waiting on my challenges listed above. Or did someone jump to conclusions and confuse my posts with someone elses?

Either way, here we go: I have watched a few of the Dolphins games so far this season. I saw most of the game this past weekend against the Pats and it was a very impressive display by the Dolphins. They pretty much handed it to the Pats in every phase of the game, much like they did last year in Miami.

Ricky Williams does run very tough. He's a solid runner and I definitely put him among the top 10 runners in the league, but I just can't quite put him in the top 5 with what he's shown me so far in his career. Maybe he's being utilized better in Miami, but that remains to be seen. He's put up some good numbers against some of the weaker run defenses in the league, but in the next few weeks will face some stronger units. Now we will find out what he's really made of.

To reply to Phinstd "Have you considered for a moment the reason most of the teams Mia have faced against the run could be there because they've played Miami and haven't been to pad their rush totals like other teams?"

Yes I have considered it and my reply is this: one game, even this early in the season, doesn't skew the numbers that much. Look at the Broncos run defense for example. They shut down the #2 and #5 running teams in the league (SD and SF), yet those teams are still ranked high despite being shut down once. Why? Because they stepped it up against the other teams. These teams that Miami have faced can't stop anyone. That's why they are ranked so poorly. Does anyone disagree?

Beantown this was the best post youve made since you arrived to these forums. I agree with everything you said. Notice its also very different in "tone" than most of your previous posts.

Also, noone is calling you names...not me anyway. I took offense to your posting style, nothing more. No offense intended.

I would not disagree the teams we've faced are not juggernauts against the run. (although the Pats had a rep of so.)

Det actually was supposed to have the strength of their D being their D-line. We shredded them. The Pats put 8 and 9 and we still ran even late against them.

Trailed against KC so couldn't run enough to get RW going and wear the other team down. Indy tried everything to stop the run and couldn't. The Jits just suck and were ran all over.

RW is a top-5 back THIS year. Last year and before he was top-10 He has stepped up like many players have after a change of scenery or just seeming to get it. You are so into stats about everything, then when you have stats to counter your pts. like RW being great against the teams he's played. You point to Oak doing what they need to against the teams they nplay, yet you hold it aginst RW. I say RW has proven how good he is, agianst the teams he's played. He will prove again how good he is, watch the game and please don't come back here spewing stats about things because you and I both know Denver is put all kinds of guys up to stop the run and force us to throw that, as much as anything, proves how good RW is. The D tries to take away the best player of the other team, and teams have tried to take away RW.

"He will prove again how good he is, watch the game and please don't come back here spewing stats about things because you and I both know Denver is put all kinds of guys up to stop the run and force us to throw that, as much as anything, proves how good RW is. The D tries to take away the best player of the other team, and teams have tried to take away RW."

I agree. I never said I didn't think he was the best player on the Dolphins. IMO he is....I just don't think he's the invincible God-send a lot of the national media is making him out to be, that's all.

And you make a good point bringing up my argument about the Faiders being #1 playing weak teams vs. Ricky putting up numbers against weak teams...My only response would be that no other team is undefeated right now, yet there are several other running backs in the league that have put up similar numbers to Ricky, yet may have fumbled less or not at all so far this season. That's why he hasn't cracked my top 5 yet.

Originally posted by Beantown Bronco
[BAnd you make a good point bringing up my argument about the Faiders being #1 playing weak teams vs. Ricky putting up numbers against weak teams...My only response would be that no other team is undefeated right now, yet there are several other running backs in the league that have put up similar numbers to Ricky, yet may have fumbled less or not at all so far this season. That's why he hasn't cracked my top 5 yet. [/B]

Didn't I point this out to you in another thread already? Raiders combined opponents are 5-13. The phins combined opponents are 11-12 with 3 of the 5 teams having winning records.

He may not crack your top 5 but right now the stats say he's #2. Every RB meets his share of weak defenses.

"Raiders combined opponents are 5-13. The phins combined opponents are 11-12 with 3 of the 5 teams having winning records"

True, but this isn't college. The difference between the top teams and the bottom feeders in the NFL isn't nearly as extreme as in college. That's why in college, an undefeated team can be ranked lower than one with a loss. The Faiders have to be #1 until they lose, even some of your fellow Dolphin fans agree.

As far as RW goes. I don't put him in the top 5 based on several things, with quality of opponent playing a small role. Here are some: he may be #2 in total yards, but you also have to take into account that some rbs have only played in 4 games. Also, there are at least 5 running backs with better yds/carry, more TDs and less fumbles than Ricky right now.

Is Clinton Portis in your top 5. I think you missed the fact the he is #1 in the league in total yardage from scrimage. In regards to your comment that we deemed him our savior is completely false. We have an army of offensive weapons. Ricki just sets everything up. I'm wondering how your CB's are going to keep up with Cris Chambers. Have you guys played a CB tandem like S.Madison And P.Surtain? Or a beast on the D-Line like J.Taylor and A.Ogunleye?. And how about a QB that's knows absolutely nothing but winning? Not just a drugy living under his dad's name. Let's put it this way. There is no way in hell we lose two straight games on the road. It just will not happen. I think your obsession in proving Ricki Williams is overatted is clouding alot of your vision. Trust me no matter how good your D is, you will not be able to contain our O.

Facts...facts...ok fair enough. Yahoo Bronco fan comes to Dolphins board aiming to give us the facts. Such altruism. Thats well and good. So let me get this straight. This thread was started under the supposition that we've got a good run defense. Yahoo Bronco fan says we've done it against poor rushing teams. I suppose thats not a terribly bad supposition. But he tried to get all statisticky on us. If you want to use stats, yahoo bronco fan, then use them right.

Below is the average yardage per game that each team we've played gets on the ground....against teams OTHER than Miami. Yes thats right, if we're trying to isolate Miami's run defense its a LITTLE BIT irresponsible of us to use stats that are DILLUTED by Miami's run defense, don't ya think?

Team...yards per game...ranking
Detroit...85 ypg...22nd
Indianapolis...93 ypg...20th
NY Jets...80.5 ypg...26th
Kansas City...192.5 ypg...1st
New England...102.5 ypg...19th
Avg Opponent...110.7 yards per game against teams other than Miami.

Below is how these teams individually fared against Miami...
Detroit...51 yards
Indy...143 yards
NY Jets...58 yards
KC...122 yards
New England...37 yards.
Total...411 yards....82.2 yards avg against Miami.

So what does all this mean? It means that our average opponent came into the game with us averaging 110.7 yards on the ground. And they left us, on average, with only 82.2 rushing yards for the day. Thats 28.5 yards of pure disappointment for all of our opponents.

Wanna see how good your rush D is Bronco fan? Do the math, see how ya stack up.

BeanTown the point is not Stats, E. James, P. Holmes, C. Martin are all quality backs...with Holmes the class right now..He was held to 52 yards..27 on 23 carries and 1 25 yard run..Curtis got a 103 yards last week on the chiefs..Ricky had 66 yards on them on 14 carries..If he ran his usual 24 I know he would have been over a 100 on them too..Every team in the NFL is support to be the elite of the players in America...so if a back can do what he's done..that's outstanding by any stat would you agree.. So far you haven't played any team with a running game except the Chargers..everybody has an off day...but the Chargers turnover did help you..with the stats that is. Over rated or not..Ricky leads all backs in total yardage..and that's with every team tweated to stop him..I'd say what he done is pretty great..think about it..

Ricky gets better as the game continues, so if Ricky got 25 carries against KC he would have had around 135 yards.

Originally posted by Beantown Bronco
True, but this isn't college. The difference between the top teams and the bottom feeders in the NFL isn't nearly as extreme as in college. That's why in college, an undefeated team can be ranked lower than one with a loss. The Faiders have to be #1 until they lose, even some of your fellow Dolphin fans agree.

Your opinions change like the weather. Do you actually ever stand by your comments or do you only stand by whatever suits you at the moment?

Back
Top Bottom