Ryan Tannehill trade could be a smart move by the Dolphins | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill trade could be a smart move by the Dolphins

The fact that I understand the game, has no bearing on whether Tannehill blames anyone. I can assure you that he doesn't. Luckily that is the job of the coaching staff and they agree with me. Maybe you'd prefer that they take the simplistic view and just blame the QB.

Gase thinks Tannehill checks it down to much and needs to run it more and be more aggressive in general. Yep thats where I stand too.

Gase thinks Tannehill checks it down to much and needs to run it more and be more aggressive in general. Yep thats where I stand too.
Is that not the same thing every head coach and qb coach has said about Tannehill? He is not aggressive enough with the ball or that he holds on to it too long.

Is that not the same thing every head coach and qb coach has said about Tannehill? He is not aggressive enough with the ball or that he holds on to it too long.

That simply is not true and hasn't been true since his first two years in the league. When you are ranked in the top few QBs in the league in quickest to throw (as he was in 2014), you are not hanging on to the ball too long.

Some of Gases comments on what he was looking for Tannehill to improve on was in the spirit of taking a good QB and making them very good. He did not come here to fix a broken QB. He came here to properly coach a QB capable of winning games.

That simply is not true and hasn't been true since his first two years in the league. When you are ranked in the top few QBs in the league in quickest to throw (as he was in 2014), you are not hanging on to the ball too long.

Some of Gases comments on what he was looking for Tannehill to improve on was in the spirit of taking a good QB and making them very good. He did not come here to fix a broken QB. He came here to properly coach a QB capable of winning games.
Take it up with Gase who watched the tape of Tannehill's first four years and then said this
“I’m pretty sure that anybody who has watched his tape the last four years (has seen that) he’ll stand back there and try to hold onto that thing and get the ball out.” said Gase. “We’d love it to where we get through a game and limit the hits and sacks and pressures. That’s what every team is trying to do.”
According to NextGenStats, Tannehill was 19th in the league in time to throw at 2.6 seconds.
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2016/all#average-time-to-throw

Take it up with Gase who watched the tape of Tannehill's first four years and then said this

According to NextGenStats, Tannehill was 19th in the league in time to throw at 2.6 seconds.
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2016/all#average-time-to-throw

A. 2016 was a different offense than 2014.
B. 19th is middle of the pack and not indicative of the false claim that he holds onto the ball to a fault.
C. IMO, Gase was referring to his willingness to hang tough and take hits, not his inability to throw quickly.

A. 2016 was a different offense than 2014.
B. 19th is middle of the pack and not indicative of the false claim that he holds onto the ball to a fault.
C. IMO, Gase was referring to his willingness to hang tough and take hits, not his inability to throw quickly.
You can take it anyway you want but all three head coaches have said the same thing about Ryan Tannehill. He needs to be more aggressive with the ball. Granted Tannehill started doing that the second half of 2016 so we'll see how he and the offense look when he returns.

Aren't those two completely different things?

Aren't those two completely different things?
I think it's a situational thing. There has been times when Tannehill was criticized for taking the safer throw ala Checkdown Chad or not throwing the ball away or even taken off running when the opportunity was there. Not all three usually happens on one play but at different times during many of his games. I think he was better the second half of 2016 so I'm optimistic of what he can/will do this year.

I think it's a situational thing. There has been times when Tannehill was criticized for taking the safer throw ala Checkdown Chad or not throwing the ball away or even taken off running when the opportunity was there. Not all three usually happens on one play but at different times during many of his games. I think he was better the second half of 2016 so I'm optimistic of what he can/will do this year.
Me too, I just think holding the ball for a long time doesn't necessarily mean he isn't aggressive. It could be because he's waiting for something to develop downfield

Back
Top Bottom