Saban interview on 790! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban interview on 790!

i agree that young has a lot of potential. i just think that taking a "franchise" qb in this year's draft would be a waste. i also agree that drafting a qb in the first round and sitting him his first year is a good idea (carson palmer). but not in our situation. it 's a good idea when he can sit for a year, maybe two, and then come in as the starter. unless we are going to get rid of culpepper after a year or two, this wouldn't work for us. it would be stupid to bring in young and let him sit for the rest of culpepper's career. i hope that culpepper has a minimum of 5 or 6 years left in him (hopefully more). if that's the case, young wouldn't get a chance to start until he's 27 or 28. not to mention the contract he will demand (see san diego chargers). i wouldn't want to be in that situation of having to either keep culpepper and trade away the young prospect or get rid of culpepper and put our money on the unproven young.

Heard it too. Twas a repeat of the Owners meeting press conference/round table thingee.

RE- Vince Young, Saban said even if you are on a diet, you can look at the menu.

mia4ever said:
Saban don't seem to like the CC comments about being in the SB
but he ok with WH only b/c he's the owner .

but to come to CC defense, CC 28 and he's reaching the height of his career.
ZT and Jt has about 3-4 left of solid playing days

NS aren't bring in rookies player, but veteran player who goal are to win it all
the one of the attraction of the Fins to a free agent is there could be something special going on in Davie.

SO I understand the we could win it all next year attitude.
but I'll just be happy with making the Playoff after 5 year of not making the playoff

Can someone please translate this into English

RDubL84 said:
Can someone please translate this into English
Saban was peeved at Chris Chambers comment that the Dolphins would be playing in the superbowl at home. Said they try to get the players to focus on the process. I was like, its the freggin banquet, much like a high school football pep rally. Still, Nick is hard nose.

RE-Wayne expecting playoffs and hoping superbowl. Nick said, if he owned an NFL team, he'd expect to be in the playoffs every year too.

Basically, he was tempering expectations. Not so much to reduce FAN expectations, but to ensure his players were focused on their tasks at hand - THE PROCESS.

Nick, like Chuck Norris, only experiences joy in the defeat of others. Schadenfrued if you will.

greatwade said:
Heard it too. Twas a repeat of the Owners meeting press conference/round table thingee.

RE- Vince Young, Saban said even if you are on a diet, you can look at the menu.
That's a great quote. :sidelol:

Dolphan_B said:
So long as Young does not become a Jet or a Bill. I do not want to face that guy twice a year...

I do

greatwade said:

And then all of a sudden, you realize you can dine on the best, so you order it. The diet part is in reference to our ability to have him. If he becomes available, or someone tells you you can have it, then you order it! I say Bon Appeitite! Vince Young would be ours for Mularky to run all kinds of crazy crap.

Simmer Finner said:
him being interested in young is the biggest smoke screen ever... It doesnt make sense for him to be trying to find a franchise qb after just signing culpepper.. if young was available at 16, i dont even think he would touch him

100% agree. If Saban is interested about someone, he wouldn't say.

NYinBostonFin said:
100% agree. If Saban is interested about someone, he wouldn't say.

Not really, You see ronnie Brown wasnt talked about much either, but word was he was our guy all along.

I cant see smokescreen here because Saban is open minded. He looks at everything and translates it to the football field. If anything, he is hoping someone like the Jets or Bills drafts jay Cutler.

PAFINFAN090 said:
i agree that young has a lot of potential. i just think that taking a "franchise" qb in this year's draft would be a waste. i also agree that drafting a qb in the first round and sitting him his first year is a good idea (carson palmer). but not in our situation. it 's a good idea when he can sit for a year, maybe two, and then come in as the starter. unless we are going to get rid of culpepper after a year or two, this wouldn't work for us. it would be stupid to bring in young and let him sit for the rest of culpepper's career. i hope that culpepper has a minimum of 5 or 6 years left in him (hopefully more). if that's the case, young wouldn't get a chance to start until he's 27 or 28. not to mention the contract he will demand (see san diego chargers). i wouldn't want to be in that situation of having to either keep culpepper and trade away the young prospect or get rid of culpepper and put our money on the unproven young.

You should listen to yourself. You dont want a franchise QB?

What is Saban supposed to say? Yeah, we flew him to Miami because we think he sucks.... Give me a break.... Coaches hardly ever say anything negative about any players, especially rookies. Saban may or may not be interested in VY. I happen to think he's not going to pick VY even if he were available at 16, but I'm not paid for my opinion on this matter either!

You should listen to yourself. You dont want a franchise QB?

i don't want ANOTHER franchise quarterback YET. culpepper is our franchise qb. when he is getting up there in years, then yes, i want a franchise qb to apprentice under him.

again i refer you to the san diego chargers situation.

It's interesting that he's saying this. I think we're best served bringing in a QB with experience in case DC isn't ready out of the gates...which is possible. Young has mad talent but imo probably needs the most work out of the top 3 prospects as far as becoming a starting NFL QB goes. Because of that, I don't think we'd go into the season with DC, Young, and Lemon due to the lack of experience.

Back
Top Bottom