Saban is better than the the other NCAA elite | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban is better than the the other NCAA elite

godfater21 said:
butch davis: and six seasons at Dallas (where he coached the defensive line and served as defensive coordinator for the Cowboys Super Bowl teams).

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=8&c=1&nid=497688

Butch WAS a coordinator. Spurrier was a USFL head coach not NFL assistant. i was thinking of Lou Holtz with the jets so your right on that one.

I didn't remember Butch being a DC. He must have taken over when Wanny left. I think the main reason Butch failed was b/c he tied himself to Couch. That was a horrible pick. Saban has to do a better job of finding his QB. Spurrier failed b/c he wouldn't adapt his systems. I'm not worried about Saban falling into that trap. Do you know why Carroll failed?

Iryman said:
That is what the man is saying. I know what he means. Everyone is acting like every move he makes is better than sliced bread. With wanny all picks was just plain horrible now the opposite with Saban. All picks and pickups are gold. lol.

Yes that is what i'm saying 100%.

nyjunc said:
Saban doesn't have the #1 D either so what's your point?

i wasn't talking about the dolphins d. i was talking about his stint as a defensive coordinator in nfl w/ the cleveland browns. they went from mediocre to the #1 ranked defense in the nfl.

ricky williams said:
i wasn't talking about the dolphins d. i was talking about his stint as a defensive coordinator in nfl w/ the cleveland browns. they went from mediocre to the #1 ranked defense in the nfl.

Somewhat off-topic here, but this has bugged me from day 1. Saban is getting credit for turning Browns D from worst to first while Belichick was the head coach. Belichick is considered a defensive genius and his Patsy teams have certainly proven that point many times over. My question then is, who was REALLY responsible for the turnaround of the Browns defense?

Is it at all possible that Saban pulled a Wanny and took credit for good defensive schemes when it was really the head coach setting it all up? (Wanny was JJ's DC in the Dallas glory years).

For the record, with the exception of a few character cases brought into the team, I think Saban has done an outstanding job thus far.

Bill C said:
Somewhat off-topic here, but this has bugged me from day 1. Saban is getting credit for turning Browns D from worst to first while Belichick was the head coach. Belichick is considered a defensive genius and his Patsy teams have certainly proven that point many times over. My question then is, who was REALLY responsible for the turnaround of the Browns defense?

Is it at all possible that Saban pulled a Wanny and took credit for good defensive schemes when it was really the head coach setting it all up? (Wanny was JJ's DC in the Dallas glory years).

For the record, with the exception of a few character cases brought into the team, I think Saban has done an outstanding job thus far.

The difference was Wannstedt was a figurehead in Dallas. He was a buffer between the player, other coaches and Jimmy. Jimmy did'nt consult with Wanny about strategy...Wanny was a friend more then a coach or coordinator. With the talent Jimmy put together on defense in the Cowboy glory years they did'nt need to coordinate...they just let their players play and beat your players.

Saban and B.B. consult about coaching. They spend time together in the offseason talking football.

Saban will not fail....I think he is too smart and works too hard to fail.

The comparison's to Spurrier are rediculous. Spurrier was more interested in his golf handicap then he was coaching football. He is a 9-5 guy. Spurrier was inflexable....just ask Pat Ramsey about Spurrier's idea of pass protection.

Butch Davis was doomed by horrid personel decisions...just look at the Browns draft record for the last 5 years for the reason he failed as an NFL head coach.

Pete Carrol was too much of a players coach. I also think Carrol was'nt ready when he did take a head coaching job. Carrol's personality is All-college. I think he found his niche.

From what Saban has done thusfar (the best draft this team has had in years, putting together a world class coaching staff, revamping the entire organization, smart free agent signings, quality salary cap management) I have no doubts he was the best thing to happen to this team in a long, long time.

unifiedtheory said:
The difference was Wannstedt was a figurehead in Dallas. He was a buffer between the player, other coaches and Jimmy. Jimmy did'nt consult with Wanny about strategy...Wanny was a friend more then a coach or coordinator. With the talent Jimmy put together on defense in the Cowboy glory years they did'nt need to coordinate...they just let their players play and beat your players.

Saban and B.B. consult about coaching. They spend time together in the offseason talking football.

The comparison's to Spurrier are rediculous. Spurrier was more interested in his golf handicap then he was coaching football. He is a 9-5 guy. Spurrier was inflexable....just ask Pat Ramsey about Spurrier's idea of pass protection.

Butch Davis was doomed by horrid personel decisions...just look at the Browns draft record for the last 5 years for the reason he failed as an NFL head coach.

Pete Carrol was too much of a players coach. I also think Carrol was'nt ready when he did take a head coaching job. Carrol's personality is All-college. I think he found his niche.

From what Saban has done thusfar (the best draft this team has had in years, putting together a world class coaching staff, revamping the entire organization, smart free agent signings, quality salary cap management) I have no doubts he was the best thing to happen to this team in a long, long time.
I agree with everything above..almost. Getting rid of WANNY was the best thing.. Ill give Saban a close 2nd.

*EDIT* and getting rid of Fiedler third :goof:

Bill C said:

For the record after Saban left the Defense dropped to 10th...and Belli was still there.

unifiedtheory said:

Ridiculous statement. He can fail just like any other hard working smart head coach.

unifiedtheory said:

You have no idea that what Saban has done were good moves.

Also, Belichek failed at his first Job. He was consulting with Saban as he failed.

I like what the Dolphins have done, but man, the Saban love fest his hilarious. I mean the guy lost 3-4 games a year @ LSU besides his 1 loss national championship year.

BillsChamps2oo5 said:
Ridiculous statement. He can fail just like any other hard working smart head coach.

You have no idea that what Saban has done were good moves.

Also, Belichek failed at his first Job. He was consulting with Saban as he failed.

I like what the Dolphins have done, but man, the Saban love fest his hilarious. I mean the guy lost 3-4 games a year @ LSU besides his 1 loss national championship year.
Whlie I agree there might be to much Saban love... Saban has assembled a very nice coaching staff that is pretty hard to argue.While its true the cleveland franchise failed under Bellichick... while Saban was there the defense went from 28th to 1st in four years (dropped to 10 when he left) SOME of that had to be Saban. How much I dont know...

godfater21 said:
Butch Davis was with the cowboys in the 90's and he flopped
Steve spurriur was an assistant in the NFL and he flopped
pete carrol was an assistant and he flopped.

That's why I was against saban's hiring. Having said that, I have very much liked what I've seen out of saban except for letting Surtain go and I still understand that move.

--Ross

zeke0123 said:
Whlie I agree there might be to much Saban love... Saban has assembled a very nice coaching staff that is pretty hard to argue.While its true the cleveland franchise failed under Bellichick... while Saban was there the defense went from 28th to 1st in four years (dropped to 10 when he left) SOME of that had to be Saban. How much I dont know...

i think thats the major difference with saban......butch davis brought in several coaches from the college ranks w/o NFL experience......most of our key additions are highly touted amongst the NFL

zeke0123 said:

Im not trying to diss the guy, I wanted him in Buffalo 2 years ago. Hes a good coach.

I just keep reading that this guy cant fail.

nyjunc said:
Don't let last year fool you, teams were not afraid of your O so they played more conservatively not to turn it over and lose that way. We were the exact same way in '95, our D kept us in games and we thought we had a great, young D and didn't address it in '96 and we were even worse. You have players and should have a good D but you aren't near the top anymore.

That's an excellent point. Miami's offense was so laughable early last year no one was pressured to score in bunches. I attended the Tennessee opener with my brother-in-law and both of us were emphasizing your theory; the Titans were so unconcerned about the Dolphin O they were very content to play field position and score when available. I wagered on the under several games in a row after seeing our preseason games.

It was very evident late in the year when Miami's offense loosened up, that the defense wasn't as sound as it appeared early in the season. Hell, even Bates said we needed more help on defense than offense.

Back
Top Bottom