Saban is better than the the other NCAA elite | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban is better than the the other NCAA elite

granted we had truckloads of injuries, but teams pounded us with the run game most of the year. see mnf ny jets 2 100 yard rushers i believe...bates ought to know...

FinFan90 said:
I have a good feeling bout Saban....

Me too. His approach seems more about building for the future and not about predictions on becoming an instant contender (à la JJ). He's not trying to be flashy, just disciplined. There is never a possible guarantee for a superbowl as the season is so long that many things can go wrong, and things need to go right. But one guarantee is he will build a good team and put us in position to win it all.

There are alot of coaches I like in college football, but I don't know how good they would be in the pro's. I like the Saban hire, I had Weis ahead of Saban, and actually I think Weis probably should've been hired by the Bills instead of Donahoe's boy Mularkey but that is a different subject. I'm not positive on this but didn't Mooch coach at Cal before he became the head coach of the 9ers, I know he had past experience with the Holmgren staff, but he coached in college. The failures of college coaches are brought up more than the successful guys. I don't know whether Saban will be a good head coach, but I think the best move he made all offseason was hiring Scott Linehan. I don't think a head coach can be judged until his 3rd year with a franchise, so while fans want to see the Phins go 12-4/11-5, if the team goes 5-11/6-10 they're gonna have to realize it's a rebuilding process. I like the moves that were made but what is considered the 2 most important positions on offense look like holes right now in the LT and QB position. I am very confident in Saban, but I do realize it'll take time, I think the team will struggle, but by the time the team has most of the players Saban brought in or picked, they'll be a success.

Surtain

Ross said:
That's why I was against saban's hiring. Having said that, I have very much liked what I've seen out of saban except for letting Surtain go and I still understand that move.

--Ross

Still feel we should have never let him go. He is one of the best CB's in the NFL. I do not care that he was expensive, he was worth every cent.:evil:

unifiedtheory said:
The difference was Wannstedt was a figurehead in Dallas. He was a buffer between the player, other coaches and Jimmy. Jimmy did'nt consult with Wanny about strategy...Wanny was a friend more then a coach or coordinator. With the talent Jimmy put together on defense in the Cowboy glory years they did'nt need to coordinate...they just let their players play and beat your players.

Saban and B.B. consult about coaching. They spend time together in the offseason talking football.

Saban will not fail....I think he is too smart and works too hard to fail.

The comparison's to Spurrier are rediculous. Spurrier was more interested in his golf handicap then he was coaching football. He is a 9-5 guy. Spurrier was inflexable....just ask Pat Ramsey about Spurrier's idea of pass protection.

Butch Davis was doomed by horrid personel decisions...just look at the Browns draft record for the last 5 years for the reason he failed as an NFL head coach.

Pete Carrol was too much of a players coach. I also think Carrol was'nt ready when he did take a head coaching job. Carrol's personality is All-college. I think he found his niche.

From what Saban has done thusfar (the best draft this team has had in years, putting together a world class coaching staff, revamping the entire organization, smart free agent signings, quality salary cap management) I have no doubts he was the best thing to happen to this team in a long, long time.

Thanks for the reply, it's just something that's been gnawing at me. I didn't mention Spurrier, Davis, or Carroll so not sure if you were just speaking in general.

However, I do think B.B. was more responsible for the Browns D than you guys are giving him credit for. Believe me it pains me to say that, but D is the man's trademark in the NFL and I don't think he suddenly learned it after Saban left Cleveland. I do think Saban had a lot to do with it, but I am not going to go so far as to give him sole credit.

I'm also not sold on how much BB has taken the advice of Saban over the past few years. It may be predominantly the other way around. (3 Lombardi's make for convincing credibility)

Now organizationally, I do like what Saban is doing. He has infused structure and a new attitude. He has brought in solid coaches and had what appears to be a solid draft (playing time in the regular season will determine how successful). Right now, I'm enjoying seeing what Saban is doing with the club and am excited to see what the results on the field are.

nyjunc said:
Don't let last year fool you, teams were not afraid of your O so they played more conservatively not to turn it over and lose that way. We were the exact same way in '95, our D kept us in games and we thought we had a great, young D and didn't address it in '96 and we were even worse. You have players and should have a good D but you aren't near the top anymore.

Hey check your facts jacka$$, we were the 8th ranked defense in the entire NFL last season in spite of having a crappy run defense. As a defense the unit allowed just 284 points (the offense added 8 and the special teams allowed 1), so YES we still are a pretty solid defense.

Some good points were definatly brought up in this thread. The one thing that convinces me that Saban is differant is the words the best coach in the NFL, Bill Billenchek has said that Nick Saban taught him most of what he knows about defense. Another key is that Saban ran a pro style offense at LSU. I forget whos survey it was and who the survey was of but it said that Nick Saban is in the top five coaches in football, period. If a college coach is going to come to the NFL and be effective it is going to be Saban

ricky williams said:
i wasn't talking about the dolphins d. i was talking about his stint as a defensive coordinator in nfl w/ the cleveland browns. they went from mediocre to the #1 ranked defense in the nfl.

Wannstedt had a #1 ranked D as a DC too, did that ensure success?

MarksBrothers85 said:
Hey check your facts jacka$$, we were the 8th ranked defense in the entire NFL last season in spite of having a crappy run defense. As a defense the unit allowed just 284 points (the offense added 8 and the special teams allowed 1), so YES we still are a pretty solid defense.

Obviously you didn't read my post.

PassRush said:
Some good points were definatly brought up in this thread. The one thing that convinces me that Saban is differant is the words the best coach in the NFL, Bill Billenchek has said that Nick Saban taught him most of what he knows about defense. Another key is that Saban ran a pro style offense at LSU. I forget whos survey it was and who the survey was of but it said that Nick Saban is in the top five coaches in football, period. If a college coach is going to come to the NFL and be effective it is going to be Saban

Dude you are out of your mind. Show us where in the hell Belichick says he learned what he knows from Saban? Belichick has been in football twice as long as that guy. Saban knows nothing about being a head coach in the NFL yet he taught Belichick all he knows? Your out of your freakin mind. Saban BARELY won at LSU now he's suppose to dominate the NFL? Get a clue.........the odds say he will fail like most coaches who come from the college game.

Oh and on top of that you continue to talk about this incredible coaching staff Saban has hired. Most of the coaches that Saban hired were 3rd and 4th choice guys. All the others turned him down including one Eric Mangini of the Patriots and many others. Saban had to dig deep into his want list to land the coaches he has now. He didn't get one of the assistants he initially set out to get.

Actually, BB is the guy who made Parcells look so good for so long.

How has Bill done without BB? He hasn't won any super bowls that's for sure.

It's way to early to tell how Saban's going to do, but I do admire his drive and IQ. Wanny wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer...:fire:

Did anyone read that SI article that was an interview with Bill (Yoda) Billichik?

It was pretty funny, they mentioned Saban going over to the dark side...

Actually, BB is the guy who made Parcells look so good for so long.

How has Bill done without BB? He hasn't won any super bowls that's for sure.

That is so silly and misinformed.

Of course having BB on his staff helped him win but all great coaches are surrounded w/ great assistants and Parcells put together a great staff. How did BB do when he didn't have most of BP's asst's like he has had the last few years? he was awful in Cle when he didn't have BP's assistants and w/o BB Parcells still was successful. He took over a brutal Pats team in 1993, they were a disgrace to the league and in yr 2 he had them 10-6 and in the playoffs. he took over a mediocre Dallas squad and in yr 1 had them 10-6 and in the playoffs. To say BP has never had success w/o BB is wrong.

tcdrover said:
............... It's way to early to tell how Saban's going to do, but I do admire his drive and IQ. Wanny wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer...:fire:

Wanny was a butter knife amongst Ginsu's.

Back
Top Bottom