Sad, but true. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sad, but true.

"we all somehow failed to notice that Miami was pretty healthy last season and it still didnt matter."

Huh? Didn't we lose both our starting wide-outs, one for the season and the other still trying to regain his confidence, and our starting QB last season after week 6? Didn't we lose Dixon for a few games only to be replaced by the human turnstile Marcus Spriggs? Didn't we sign a HOF receiver who then suffered kidney failure? How much of an effect did the loss of Nails have on an OL that couldn't stop a 3-man rush against the Pats?

Injuries had as much to do with the late season collapse as anything else. What would the Bucs have done if Brad Johnson, Keyshawn Johnson, and Keenan McCardell all went down with injuries? What if their 2 best OL missed a few games, would they have still won the SB? I doubt they would have made the playoffs.

i think wannstedt is doing as good a job as most coaches in the NFL. There are no grudens out there except maybe in college and that is a crapshoot. i dont listen to anything the media says, cus they just repeat facts of the past and they want to be right when they know they dont know who is really going all the way, so they go with what they know, which is nothing that we dont already. that is why i say this is a different year. every hole we had we took care of in the draft and free agency. Now we just have to make it happen.

Well, he says many of the things I have said on this forum for the last nine months. And heavily criticised.

I don't agree with all of his article though. We did make some additions that should help our defense when they get thier back against the walls as they seemed to do.

The biggest need for this team was on offense. And although I am encouraged by the young WRs in preseason, I know that that doesn't always translate to regular season success.

The big concerns are:

Offensive line
Jay Fiedler
WRs
Coaching.

Can this team and Coachin gstafff truly pull it all together?

God we all hope so. But I will give them my 100% support.

Originally posted by Dolfan02

SO I guess you'll tell me John Gruden had nothing to do with the Bucs going to their first SuperBowl and winning it in his FIRST YEAR as coach? I mean, all he did was take the previous coach's (Tony Dungy) bucs team to their first SB, what Dungy couldn't do for 6 years, 4 of the years with the same defensive players as now. Dude, a real good coach with a firey attitude and gameplan goes a very very long way.

Something to think about

Well he [robably had something to do with Tampa's success yet he too was riding the defense installed by Dungy. He even admitted it. If Gruden is a superbowl coach why didn't he win one with Oakland.

"Chucky" definitly brings excitement to a team and his offensive playcalling was probably better than Dungy's (or his OC's). But Gruden sat in an already made bed. All he had to do is pull the blanky back to lay in it.

My point though is: we have had 6 losing and 4 .500 seasons since the Dolphins were founded. Yet in some 35 years we producd 2 superbowls. Think about it: 10 (!!!!) sub 500 or .500 seasons since 1966. Now if you consider that 4 of those losing seasons came in year 1, 2, 3, and 4 that gives us 2 losing seasons since 1970.

Our failure goes deeper than just the coach unless you staple Shula and JJ into the same category of loser coaches.

Like everyone says..

We've been good for too many years. It's time to be great.

Good the is the enemy of Greatness...

Bill Parcels

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by WharfRat

...and a different QB...and a couple of WRs .. and a new RB... and....

Sorry, but Brad Johnson started all 16 games in Dungy's final year with the Bucs, Keyshawn Johnson had played 2 years with the Bucs before Gruden, Alstott played since 1996, The only 2 guys that Gruden did bring were McCardell and Pittman, but there you go, Gruden was able to see the Bucs' void and brought those great players in himself on his vision. He gave already great players a master gameplan to win it all. He also installed his "cover 2" defense to Tampa. He had the tough attitude, innovative gameplan, awesome player communication and understanding, and he doesn't look confused like DW. Unfortunately, thats the type of head coach it takes nowadays to go all the way.

Someone said why didn't he win it Oakland? You're right. IMO he was a great coach but he didn't have the defense like in Tampa. So what does that mean? Its almost a 50/50 effort from coaches and players. A great coach (Gameplan, tactics, Attitude, vision, understanding) with great players can win it all. The Fins have great players with a semi-good coach, they lack a GREAT Head Coach.

We need greatness, not good. (Only if you really want to win the SB)

Back
Top Bottom