Salary Cap and Opt Outs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary Cap and Opt Outs

Greer17

Club Member
Reaction score
I think the last time I checked we were still about $15M under the cap this year and were in pretty good shape next year, even if the cap drops. I got to thinking about some of the money being freed up, through opt outs, if it would be better for us to begin to restructure some contracts this year, with players getting more of next years salary as a bonus this year, or just allowing more money to roll over to next year to offset the potentially lower salary cap. I know this year has a ton of questions and variables, but with no camp reports I am looking for anything to pass the time, haha!

It will get complicated though because many of the same guys who would normally be potential cap casualty guys will be opting out, so they will not be cut this year. Albert Wilson is an example. Young QB and likely going to be building a new WR corps around him, so some of the veterans are on borrowed time. Wilson's salary and bad record of actually being available for games (injuries and now opting out) make him a prime target for the next salary cap purge. Given we'll be bringing in another huge haul of rookies in 2021, I suspect Wilson sees the writing on the wall much the way Reshad Jones did the last year or two.

It will get complicated though because many of the same guys who would normally be potential cap casualty guys will be opting out, so they will not be cut this year.

Wilson already renegotiated his deal and is on the last year of his contract. Obviously there always is the potential of getting cut, but I don't think that had anything to do with his decision. Same with Hurns. These guys had the luxury of being able to make this choice because they've already made a significant amount of money and assuming they didn't blow it all should be set for life.

The Dolphins are in a good place cap wise to weather whatever storm is coming. I don't expect either the owners or union want to see a significant drop in the cap but once they start bickering you never know what the outcome may be. If it really does drop to 175 or somewhere in that range the Phins will be well positioned to pick up some of the pieces.

Wilson already renegotiated his deal and is on the last year of his contract. Obviously there always is the potential of getting cut, but I don't think that had anything to do with his decision. Same with Hurns. These guys had the luxury of being able to make this choice because they've already made a significant amount of money and assuming they didn't blow it all should be set for life.

The Dolphins are in a good place cap wise to weather whatever storm is coming. I don't expect either the owners or union want to see a significant drop in the cap but once they start bickering you never know what the outcome may be. If it really does drop to 175 or somewhere in that range the Phins will be well positioned to pick up some of the pieces.
I don't see how Wilson's renegotiating his deal downward really changes the calculus from the Dophins standpoint. I'll still be suprised if Wilson is on the team in 2021, because he's still a veteran with a big contract ... even if it is a lesser big contract. We will draft a WR or two in 2021.

I don't see how Wilson's renegotiating his deal downward really changes the calculus from the Dophins standpoint. I'll still be suprised if Wilson is on the team in 2021, because he's still a veteran with a big contract ... even if it is a lesser big contract. We will draft a WR or two in 2021.

Yeah, Wilson opting out is gonna necessitate this team finding other answers, whereas they might have ridden through with reliable veterans otherwise.

I do think there was a much higher probability of Wilson making the roster this year, which again is why I would not point to his contract situation as a reason for him opting out. Both he and Hurns had an inside track this season with the rookies getting so little time to showcase their potential.

It will get complicated though because many of the same guys who would normally be potential cap casualty guys will be opting out, so they will not be cut this year. Albert Wilson is an example. Young QB and likely going to be building a new WR corps around him, so some of the veterans are on borrowed time. Wilson's salary and bad record of actually being available for games (injuries and now opting out) make him a prime target for the next salary cap purge. Given we'll be bringing in another huge haul of rookies in 2021, I suspect Wilson sees the writing on the wall much the way Reshad Jones did the last year or two.

Let’s face it, our GM can say all the right political things but Wilson will be gone. In the back of his mind he will hold this decision against Wilson. I know it’s not the right thing but he will

I do think there was a much higher probability of Wilson making the roster this year, which again is why I would not point to his contract situation as a reason for him opting out. Both he and Hurns had an inside track this season with the rookies getting so little time to showcase their potential.
Well Wilson has already opted out of this year because of Covid-19, so I was really only looking at 2021 for him, because that's the next real decision date for the Dolphins. If he hadn't opted out I would have agreed to you, he was coming off an injury-marred season and I'm sure Chan Gailey would want to see what he could do with Breida, Wilson and Grant as triple rockets scaring a defense to pieces. That would give him coverage for injury/illness at the speed/gadget guy position as well. But with Wilson out, Gailey will likely be a bit more traditional I'd think.

Let’s face it, our GM can say all the right political things but Wilson will be gone. In the back of his mind he will hold this decision against Wilson. I know it’s not the right thing but he will
At the end of the day the GM gets fired if we lose and when his players are not on the field it reflects badly on his choices, so I agree with you. GM's don't want guys who make them look bad for whatever reason, so if you're older on a rebuilding team, have a big salary but are not available for most games, and aren't a dominant difference maker ... you're always going to be in the crosshairs.

Apparently Miami sits at $31m in cap space for 2021 at the $175m cap projection. If both Hurns and Wilson are on the team Miami's cap decreases to $24m as their salaries will be reinstated. The obvious move is to cut both in the offseason. Unless Miami feels they can use them. The Colts have $90m and Patriots have $70m but are in the same position as Miami, with opting out players, who return, their cap numbers are reinstated. Hopefully the NFL is successful enough to generate some kind of cap increase.

Ah, I see what's going on. Spotrac has already figured the opt-outs into salary cap figures. That's interesting.

I doubt Hurns or Wilson play for us in 2021. The pats have a ton of guys who needed a break from Belicjik it seems. “I’m out too!!!”

Back
Top Bottom