Salary cap only $2 mil ?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary cap only $2 mil ??

LarryFinFan

Left So Fla, never the Fins...
Reaction score
Here is a quote from one of the papers today...

"The Dolphins have slightly less than $2 million in salary-cap space available. They also are hoping to add a receiver and a defensive tackle  such as Keith Traylor, Law's former teammate in New England  so cornerback isn't a priority."

I assume this figure is after the rookie salary cap is factored in ? Otherwise, I thought we were like 6 millions under the cap after the PS trade ??? Anyone know ?? Thanks

We have cuts to make yet, it will all work out.

After signing all of our rookies, we have $2 million left for veterans. However, we can double that if we cut David Bowens.

After signing all the rookies and making the approriate June 1st Cuts we should be 5-6 mil under the cap

LarryFinFan said:

"The Dolphins have slightly less than $2 million in salary-cap space available. They also are hoping to add a receiver and a defensive tackle  such as Keith Traylor, Law's former teammate in New England  so cornerback isn't a priority."

I assume this figure is after the rookie salary cap is factored in ? Otherwise, I thought we were like 6 millions under the cap after the PS trade ??? Anyone know ?? Thanks
We may have more cap too though if we sign Traylor we likely dump Bowens. If we sign Law we might drop a DB, perhaps Howard (Although I hope we keep him).

DolfanDaveInATX said:
After signing all of our rookies, we have $2 million left for veterans. However, we can double that if we cut David Bowens.

Do you mean T.Bowens?? I don't think Saban will be cutting any D-Linemen with experience. D.Bowens had a solid season last year, he had a better season last year then Ogun, and I think he will add to a nice deep rotation for us. If you were talking about T.Bowens he already restructured this off season, he now earns Vet minimum, but can earn more then two Mill in incentives. So if T.Bowens were to be released it would only save 750,000. Still 3/4 of a mill will help. I don't see Saban doing anything to the D-Line but making additions unless someone is just worthless.I think we will still be adding to the D-Line. I think Saban will make the biggest impact to this team first year to the Dline. With all the focus on the Dline watch and see if we don't have a probowler or two in the secondary!!

feelthepain said:
Do you mean T.Bowens?? I don't think Saban will be cutting any D-Linemen with experience. D.Bowens had a solid season last year, he had a better season last year then Ogun, and I think he will add to a nice deep rotation for us. If you were talking about T.Bowens he already restructured this off season, he now earns Vet minimum, but can earn more then two Mill in incentives. So if T.Bowens were to be released it would only save 750,000. Still 3/4 of a mill will help. I don't see Saban doing anything to the D-Line but making additions unless someone is just worthless.I think we will still be adding to the D-Line. I think Saban will make the biggest impact to this team first year to the Dline. With all the focus on the Dline watch and see if we don't have a probowler or two in the secondary!!
No, he means David Bowens. We would save 2 million on the cap by axing him. He was asked to take a paycut and refused. Say we sign Traylor and Roth has a good preseason, would you pay a backup DE 2.8 million to ride the bench when there are other holes on the team at DT and CB?

TimBo would actually carry MORE dead cap than David Bowens. TimBo might retire, which would save us some money. He has had trouble with rehab and things are not looking good for him at all.

I'd be fine with Ronald Flemons as the third pass rushing DE backup. He's shown some potential before. David Bowens is getting paid too much to do what Matt Roth can do.

DOLFANMIKE said:
We may have more cap too though if we sign Traylor we likely dump Bowens. If we sign Law we might drop a DB, perhaps Howard (Although I hope we keep him).
We are not dropping Howard..... :lol:

Why would we do that when Poole is out and we dont have depth at that position. Howard is the only proven ZONE coverage CB on this team. Madison is a man to man CB, Howard is more of a zone CB. We wouldnt cut Howard. Plus Howard would count 3.75 mil in dead cap. Thats not a good move.

LarryFinFan said:

And yes, that 2 million does not include the 6 million we got for the rookie "cap" We are really 8 million under the cap, but 6 million goes to the rookie allocation, its a cap within the cap, and then we have 2 million elsewhere.

Philter25 said:
No, he means David Bowens. We would save 2 million on the cap by axing him. He was asked to take a paycut and refused. Say we sign Traylor and Roth has a good preseason, would you pay a backup DE 2.8 million to ride the bench when there are other holes on the team at DT and CB?

TimBo would actually carry MORE dead cap than David Bowens. TimBo might retire, which would save us some money. He has had trouble with rehab and things are not looking good for him at all.

This is true and also, DBowens is too small for the protypical end that Saban likes and I don't think he has much of a chance at OLB, although he did play some in college...

Restructure....Restructure......Restructure.... we than have $6mill

Who really knows what Saban likes? Did he give some #'s that he looks for or something. I believe he will look at the heart that a player plays with. If size were a prerequisite ZT would be gone already, heck he would have never made it into the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom