Salary issue may stall Ricky's return. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary issue may stall Ricky's return.

canesfins13 said:
You are right in that it depends on the language of the contract, but if the contract was voided then Ricky would be a free agent. He is not a free agent, and there is debate on whether he is entitled to the full compensation, so my guess would be it is not void.

What I presume to be the case is that a retirement is a breach of the contract, damages being return of the bonus. The contract is not voided, Ricky remaining property of the Dolphins. The question is whether Ricky's return (contrary to what a retirement implies) thus remedies any breach on retirement. In other words it was a leave of absense, which is not a retirement, and likely not covered under the contract. This is probably why there is question whether the contract is in full force (thus no breach) or his retirement for a year is still a breach, and I would assume a provision in the contract would then apply imposing the veteran minimum if he returns. This is how I read the controversey, but I am pretty sure that the contract is not voided.

Not necessarily. As far as my knowledge of the NFL goes, when a player abruptly retires, teams still retain player rights for "X" amount of years. My guess is that's done so that players can't abruptly retire just to become free agents whenever they so amply feel like it. Thereby making a void stemming from a breach contract distinctly possible without losing the rights to that specific player.

But the retirement constituting a breach is a provision unique to Ricky's contract. Under normal scenarios, a retirement does not void the contract, the contract remains such that if the player returns the contract is in full force and effect once again. That is the distinction here.

canesfins13 said:
But the retirement constituting a breach is a provision unique to Ricky's contract. Under normal scenarios, a retirement does not void the contract, the contract remains such that if the player returns the contract is in full force and effect once again. That is the distinction here.

I'm just assessing the situation the way the NFL has always played it out when it comes to players retiring. They cannot do so in order to force their own hands and become free agents whenever they feel like it. I can guarentee you the Dolphins never put language in the contract that would forfeit Ricky's player rights in the name of collecting money back had he decided to pull a stunt - no matter how big a stunt it could've been. Lord knows teams are aware of alterior motives.

Ricky's unique provision, is slowly becoming commonplace in player contracts. As you've stated, under normal scenarios, the player would've unretired and entered back into the contract where it was left off. This is not the "normal scenario" because it contained special provisions not included in your normal contracts. That is my distinction.

canesfins13 said:
You are right in that it depends on the language of the contract, but if the contract was voided then Ricky would be a free agent. He is not a free agent, and there is debate on whether he is entitled to the full compensation, so my guess would be it is not void.

What I presume to be the case is that a retirement is a breach of the contract, damages being return of the bonus. The contract is not voided, Ricky remaining property of the Dolphins. The question is whether Ricky's return (contrary to what a retirement implies) thus remedies any breach on retirement. In other words it was a leave of absense, which is not a retirement, and likely not covered under the contract. This is probably why there is question whether the contract is in full force (thus no breach) or his retirement for a year is still a breach, and I would assume a provision in the contract would then apply imposing the veteran minimum if he returns. This is how I read the controversey, but I am pretty sure that the contract is not voided.

No, it wasnt a leave of absence. Ricky filled out and signed retirement papers. He did indeed retire.
As for the possibility of a league minimum salary....that was a provision in Ricky's orginal N.O. contract which we inherited. It was part of the same section that required Ricky to pay back a prorated portion of his signing bonus and his incentive bonuses should he fail to report.

Oboy said:
He doesn't want to play for less money
:confused:
Guess that he should of thought about that last July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shakeno:

Marino1983

dean_siu said:
I just don't understand the hatred towards Ricky on this board. Hate Dave Wannstedt or Rick Spielman for driving him into retirement.....but don't take out your frustration on the best thing to happen to this organization in a long time. Most running backs in the league would have walked away from the game in his postion. By doing so, he was smart and lost a year of playing but probably saved 3-4 on the end of his career. This team would have been 7-9 at best last year with Ricky in the lineup and mired in mediocrity for years to come. We'll still suck this year, but at least there's hope for things 2-3 years down the road. Ricky did good for all Dolphin fans....there is absolutely nothing to hate him for....instead we should be thanking him and be appreciative of his actions.
:hmmm:
My my, and where was the gun that both Spielman and Wannstedt held to Williams head forcing him to retire?
There was enough blame to go around for the debacle that was the Dolphins 04 season... If you think that Ricky is an innocent little angel in the 04 Phins soap opera then I honestly and truly feel sorry for you!!!!
:mg:

Marino1983

Now I was one of the first to defend Ricky. I have a chemical imbalance and am bipolar. Having said that, there comes a time when even a mentally sick person has to see the light if that person wants to. I can see my faults, and actively strive to fix them. If it is just the agent behind this, that is expected. But if it is Ricky himself wanting this dispute, then I feel he has burnt his last bridge. I guess we will find out one day.

i hope this does not turn into the T.O incident. Ricky doesnt deserve anything right now. He has to play in order for him to even think about a new contract.

dean_siu said:
I just don't understand the hatred towards Ricky on this board. Hate Dave Wannstedt or Rick Spielman for driving him into retirement.....but don't take out your frustration on the best thing to happen to this organization in a long time. Most running backs in the league would have walked away from the game in his postion. By doing so, he was smart and lost a year of playing but probably saved 3-4 on the end of his career. This team would have been 7-9 at best last year with Ricky in the lineup and mired in mediocrity for years to come. We'll still suck this year, but at least there's hope for things 2-3 years down the road. Ricky did good for all Dolphin fans....there is absolutely nothing to hate him for....instead we should be thanking him and be appreciative of his actions.

While Wanny and Spielman will never be favorite of mine or many others in Dolphins history. Neither of them were responsible for Ricky leaving. Ricky has had mental and drug problems. And he could not pass drug tests. He was about to fail another when he retired.

This thing about Dave running him to death is stupid. For one it was Rickys job to run with the ball. Whether it was one or 400 carries that was what he got paid to do. most good players want the ball in their hands.

The only fault Dave had in this was he didn't have any quality players aside from Ricky on offense. So who else would you go to. Put your trust in Fiedler? Well we all know how that went when we did.

dean_siu said:
This post is one of the most hilarous I've read in quite some time. How do we know someone isn't willing to trade for him? I bet many teams have inquired, but the Dolphins have quickly turned them down as Saban knows the talent this kid possesses.

Furthermore, if he were to get released....there would be a bidding war for his services and he would easily make more than $3.6 million this year.

Quit being ridiculous and recognize the fact that you have to pay top dollar for top talent!

We know no one is willing to trade for him because no one is willing to trade for him. You would have to be an idiot to trade away a valuable player or draft pick for a knucklehead who could quit at any minute or fail another drug test. RW is about as unsure a thing as there is. Talented? Yes. Reliable? H3ll no.

If we released RW there would be a long line of teams who were willing to give him a low base salary contract w/incentives - just like we probably will. The difference is with us he can try to negotiate his way out of the $8.6 million he owes.

If that simple business concept is lost on you my friend I have some land in Iraq you may be interested in purchasing....

yankeehillbilly said:
You have to take his history into account. Regardless of Ricky's talent, the fact is that he is unreliable. A GM would have to be an idiot to give a valuable draft pick or player for Ricky, then give Ricky a large salary/signing bonus. What if he tests positive again? What if he wants to explore the Australian Outback again?
Ricky is damaged goods. His salary and trade value will reflect that.

Thanks for having some good sense!!

yankeehillbilly said:
We are fortunate Ricky isnt asking for 6 million.

Half the team would die from laughing so hard.

This reminds me of the time I got into a car wreck with a stripper driving on a suspended license. When her claim for lost wages came into my insurance company, they laughed her right out of the building.

marinotoclayton said:
While Wanny and Spielman will never be favorite of mine or many others in Dolphins history. Neither of them were responsible for Ricky leaving. Ricky has had mental and drug problems. And he could not pass drug tests. He was about to fail another when he retired.

This thing about Dave running him to death is stupid. For one it was Rickys job to run with the ball. Whether it was one or 400 carries that was what he got paid to do. most good players want the ball in their hands.

The only fault Dave had in this was he didn't have any quality players aside from Ricky on offense. So who else would you go to. Put your trust in Fiedler? Well we all know how that went when we did.

Oh I totally agree. You didn't see any of our DT's quit and just imagine just how much more difficult the job is that they do. They're told to go out there and absorb all the blows just so guys like Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor can get all the glory. Nobody else quit. Just Ricky.

Back
Top Bottom