Salary issue may stall Ricky's return. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary issue may stall Ricky's return.

phunwin said:
I'd like to think so, but if you read the story on the front page, it says they consulted five attorneys for their opinions, and 2 said "minimum", 2 said, "$3.7 million" and one said, "who the hell knows?"

If we're set on bringing him back (and I'll assume that's the case), the smart move would just be to cut D.Bowens and agree on a restructured contract that might pay Williams $1.5 or $2 million.

Pay Ricky 2 million per??????? Are you insane!!!!!!!!!!!????????!

MelbournePhin said:
im pro ricky, but if he wasnt to make the team, i wont slit my wrists. so many of us have put oodles of faith in Saban, why stop now?

Ya guys.......let's just BLINDLY trust any man who runs this team. Sounds like a good idea. Never form your own opinions. Never question anything the man does because there's no way he could ever make a bad decision. Righhhhhhhhhhhhht.

canesfins13 said:
Guys, you have to understand something. This is not a negotiation or a demand. It is an enforcement of a contract by both parties. The contract will be enforced as written, and if that means we owe $3.4M then that is what we owe. If it means we owe the veteran minimum then that is what we owe. But this has nothing to do with negotiations, new contracts or anything, it is the enforcement of the existing contract. And, as none of you have read Rickys contract, I would venture to say the opinions on how much he should be paid are moot.

Yet NFL contract rules state if you breach the contract, it reverts to veteran minimum if chosen by the franchise. Ricky's in over his head if he thinks he's getting 3.7 mil

dean_siu said:
We'll still suck this year, but at least there's hope for things 2-3 years down the road.

What hope? 3 years from now RW won't be playing (according to RW).

enigmatics said:
Yet NFL contract rules state if you breach the contract, it reverts to veteran minimum if chosen by the franchise. Ricky's in over his head if he thinks he's getting 3.7 mil

Where did you get that from??? I'd be very interested. Please state the article and subsection. :lol:

Actually the NFLPA last stated they wanted to ban the Ricky Williams clause. For good reason, who wants to get sued for wages earned. Could you imagine the uproar if an average Joe quit his job and the employer he worked for then sued and won repayment of all salary earned that the employer paid him??? :p4e:

Merman said:
Where did you get that from??? I'd be very interested. Please state the article and subsection. :lol:

Actually the NFLPA last stated they wanted to ban the Ricky Williams clause. For good reason, who wants to get sued for wages earned. Could you imagine the uproar if an average Joe quit his job and the employer he worked for then sued and won repayment of all salary earned that the employer paid him??? :p4e:

I have to find the link. It was in another thread here on Finheaven.

enigmatics said:
I have to find the link. It was in another thread here on Finheaven.

Don't waste your time there is no NFL rule that say that. ;)

What you will find is that Ricky's contract contains that language. The Saints really did a number on a naive young man that wanted to prove that he would earn his money.

enigmatics said:

Correct, but the argument is by coming back to the team he rectified his breach and is no longer in breach of the contract and therefore the existing contract provisions govern. It is a legal analysis and contract interpretation and obviously his contract is written in a way that one can interpret that bu "un retiring" he is no longer in breach. I would think that he would come back and both Ricky and the Fins would got to binding arbitration on this issue as it appears to be subject to multiple reasonable interpretations.

I can't believe Steinberg's comments....I think the guy should be happy to be accepted back period...if Saban stands his ground on the salary issue, I'm all for it...I don't have too much of a problem with him returning, but balking about the salary issue, when he himself caused the issues is beyond me...He's lucky to be allowed back...makes me want to puke....

Why would he want to come back for the vet min especially if he owes more than 8million and really doesn't want to play??

It's like someone making 50k a year and having more than a million in debt......what's the difference between 1 million or 100million since you'll never be able to be able to pay off the debt to begin with.

He might as well sit on his *** and do nothing if that's all the Fins are offering........the Fins aren't soing him any favors.....

MelbournePhin said:
pay the man and move on.
Ricky?...Ricky?...is this Slick Rick Williams registered in finheaven to spread influence...so you can get a huge chunk of that money you loss back?...If this is you Ricky ( I have a strange feeling it is) you dont deserve to be paid that much money just yet...what have you proved...nothing yet... the only thing you proved is that you can leave the team on a whim...so what you need to do is sign for minimum that includes performance based incentives...because what happens if your "sober" *** test positive again...we cant take that risk...you have to earn your trust back buddy...dont think you can just re-sign and just sit your skinny *** there and do nothing...nope we're gonna use you to the fullest at short yardage situations and goalline punches through the middle of the trench...so get ready to absorb some hits cuz thats what you're good at...MINIMUM it is.

DolphinDevil28 said:
I didn't know we were obligated to.

Do I have to remind you of what he did last July???

I actually completely agree with you. As far as I'm concerned he was about 75% of the reason why the Fins self destructed last year (injuries as well).

There have been numerous comments on this thread alone that he should be happy getting the vet min and play regardless whether he owes 8mill or not. If he really doesn't sincerely want to play and has no chance of getting out of debt then it really doesn't make sense for him to come back to the NFL.

All I'm saying is if he has no incentive to play, why should he??

so-long-Ricky said:
I actually completely agree with you. As far as I'm concerned he was about 75% of the reason why the Fins self destructed last year (injuries as well).

There have been numerous comments on this thread alone that he should be happy getting the vet min and play regardless whether he owes 8mill or not. If he really doesn't sincerely want to play and has no chance of getting out of debt then it really doesn't make sense for him to come back to the NFL.

All I'm saying is if he has no incentive to play, why should he??

Gotcha. ;)

Back
Top Bottom