Salary issue may stall Ricky's return. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary issue may stall Ricky's return.

PHINPHOURLIFE said:
sounds like ricky gets what he wants or he files bankruptcy........whatever they choose I hope they do it fast, cause im getting real sick of this sh1t :fire:

Bankruptcy is not a get out of jail free card. It might get him out of paying us - but it sure would make his financial life really nasty for the next 5 years or so. If he does it it'll hurt him more than us in the long run.

I say we take him back and let him be the janitor. He sure would look good mopping the bathrooms and cleaning the urinals wouldn't he? HAhahaha...

Actually we can afford to pay ricky. If we do the proposed cuts of Tim Bowens, and david bowens. along with last weeks cut of jerman we get 2,200,000(D-bo)+745,000(T-bo)+455,000(jerman). we get 3.4 million Exactly!!. Now i am not saying that we should sign him, but we still have room to sign all of our rookies, and that contract that traiylor got.

But ricky doesnt deserve 3.4 million. but it makes you think.....

hdjetta6316 said:
But ricky doesnt deserve 3.4 million. but it makes you think.....

Thats true....he actually deserves about 6 million....we should just be fortunate he's not asking for it.

This shouldn't be a problem.

1. Because it's all really about what is good for Ricky. He does have a terrible disease. I don't remember anyone saying that we should help him as long as he takes a big pay cut. It was all how terrible this disease is and how no one should hold him accountable for those decisions he made. Pay him the money so he can get better.
2. We should give everyone a second chance because we are not perfect. That doesn't mean a second chance at a lower salary. That means a second chance.
3. He did us a favor by quitting because it got us rid of Wanny, Saban as head coach, and Ronnie. He's a hero. Why would we want our hero to take a pay cut? Heck, maybe we should give him a raise for all the good work he did for our beloved franchise.
4. He's gonna be ripping off those 40 yard touchdowns. Any back that is going to be ripping off all those long touchdowns and gaining all those yards and scoring that much should be paid like it. Besides, he's coming back with a chip in his shoulder and to try to prove people wrong. Give him the money. He's gonna deserve it.
5. He's coming back, so get over it. We have to pay him, so get over it. Stop crying and moaning.
6. Nick really doesn't care what you think.

See, it's not about the money.

Bigbucks24 said:
This shouldn't be a problem.

1. Because it's all really about what is good for Ricky. He does have a terrible disease. I don't remember anyone saying that we should help him as long as he takes a big pay cut. It was all how terrible this disease is and how no one should hold him accountable for those decisions he made. Pay him the money so he can get better.
2. We should give everyone a second chance because we are not perfect. That doesn't mean a second chance at a lower salary. That means a second chance.
3. He did us a favor by quitting because it got us rid of Wanny, Saban as head coach, and Ronnie. He's a hero. Why would we want our hero to take a pay cut? Heck, maybe we should give him a raise for all the good work he did for our beloved franchise.
4. He's gonna be ripping off those 40 yard touchdowns. Any back that is going to be ripping off all those long touchdowns and gaining all those yards and scoring that much should be paid like it. Besides, he's coming back with a chip in his shoulder and to try to prove people wrong. Give him the money. He's gonna deserve it.
5. He's coming back, so get over it. We have to pay him, so get over it. Stop crying and moaning.
6. Nick really doesn't care what you think.

See, it's not about the money.

I am all about Ricky's potential comeback value, but there are some wicked overstatements here, Bigbucks.

Terrible disease or not, he backed out on his contract and he has to work himself back into shape. That dictates an adjustment on his salary.

Ricky has been and very well could be a great player, but he is NOT a hero. No way. No how.

What we have to pay him is still VERY much in doubt. Let's see how his recovery and negotiations progress.

DrAstroZoom said:
I am all about Ricky's potential comeback value, but there are some wicked overstatements here, Bigbucks.

Terrible disease or not, he backed out on his contract and he has to work himself back into shape. That dictates an adjustment on his salary.

Ricky has been and very well could be a great player, but he is NOT a hero. No way. No how.

What we have to pay him is still VERY much in doubt. Let's see how his recovery and negotiations progress.

Sorry, the whole post was sarcastic. I was just frustrated to seem so many people support him to the death when they thought he was coming back at the min and now saying "screw yourself" when there is a possability that he might make millions and have to be released. My point was that you can't have it both ways. You either want to give Ricky a second chance and give him a pass on his poor decisions or you don't. You can't be a good samaritan as long as he comes back cheap. Either you are or you aren't.

Bigbucks24 said:
Sorry, the whole post was sarcastic. I was just frustrated to seem so many people support him to the death when they thought he was coming back at the min and now saying "screw yourself" when there is a possability that he might make millions and have to be released. My point was that you can't have it both ways. You either want to give Ricky a second chance and give him a pass on his poor decisions or you don't. You can't be a good samaritan as long as he comes back cheap. Either you are or you aren't.

Ummm ... whoops. :lol:

That was subtle.

In any case, now that I'm on the same page with you, I agree completely. :D

phunwin said:
Sure, I see how it is. Let's ask Agua, because HE'S a lawyer, and not your friendly neighborhood Phunwin, who's not only your friendly neighborhood columnist, but also a practicing member of the New York State Bar. That's cold, awing, very cold.

But, I'll offer my unwelcome, unwanted and (sniff) unappreciated opinion anyway. Simply put, I'd need to see the contract, and since that's not public information, there's little I can tell you. Since he was already found to be in breach as to the signing bonus, that would tend to favor the Phins, but that's a different issue. My recommendation would be to try to find some middle ground here that's mutually acceptable, because this strikes me as something that could go either way. I'm almost certain there's no precedent for a contract that slashes the player's salary to the minimum for a breach.

Aww man I'm sorry come here you big lug :hug:

Guys, you have to understand something. This is not a negotiation or a demand. It is an enforcement of a contract by both parties. The contract will be enforced as written, and if that means we owe $3.4M then that is what we owe. If it means we owe the veteran minimum then that is what we owe. But this has nothing to do with negotiations, new contracts or anything, it is the enforcement of the existing contract. And, as none of you have read Rickys contract, I would venture to say the opinions on how much he should be paid are moot.

I wouldn't read too much into this. I'm sure Saban has thought this through and already knows how he will deal with Ricky's salary. I think this is more of a case of the Miami media reaching for any kind of news since Saban isn't giving out much.

twanderer said:
Oh my brothers and sisters, this does not bode well!!!! It's those dam Agents I tell ya!!!

The agents do what the clients tell them. If Ricky told his agent that he wanted to do the right thing and prove himself again before asking for big money then his agent would have to live with it. He might try to talk Ricky out of that plan, but in the end its Ricky that signs on the bottom line, not his agent.

This all goes back to the fact that Ricky feels he did nothing wrong and has nothing to apologize for. If he did nothing wrong, then why shouldnt he be making 3.7mil / year. In Ricky's mind, its the Dolphins that should be making concessions, not him.

canesfins13 said:
Guys, you have to understand something. This is not a negotiation or a demand. It is an enforcement of a contract by both parties. The contract will be enforced as written, and if that means we owe $3.4M then that is what we owe. If it means we owe the veteran minimum then that is what we owe. But this has nothing to do with negotiations, new contracts or anything, it is the enforcement of the existing contract. And, as none of you have read Rickys contract, I would venture to say the opinions on how much he should be paid are moot.

Good point. At this juncture, it's an either/or. However, it is entirely likely that to avoid arbitration, Steinberg and the fins may renegotiate the contract, as it would not be in either party's best interest for that to happen.

MDFINFAN said:
But his return unbreached the contract, that's the debate part, but he still owes
8 mil...so let the negoiations begin.

unbreached?

Thats like saying....I broke my pencil, but then I unbroke it.
I punched my boss in the face, but when he threatened to fire me I unpunched him.
I robbed a bank, but its OK because the next day I unrobbed it.

Once you breach a contract, or a clause in a contract, its breached. You might be able to work around it, or if both parties agree you can choose to not enforce the penalties for the breach. But, you cant "unbreach" it.

Actually, be returning to the team he is no longer retired which was the action that breached the contract. It is treated as a leave and the year he was not with the team is not counted against his contract. If RIcky retuurns, he is no longe in breach of the contract (one theory that might be the prevailing one) and thus he no longer owes the $8.5 M and is entitled to his salary under the contract. That is exactly one of the arguments and interpretations being put forth.

Back
Top Bottom