Sam Madison???? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sam Madison????

Should we trade Sam Madison???

• Yes, lets get plenty of room in the cap

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • No, lets have a whiney baby that costs us games

Votes: 26 56.5%

• Total voters
The problem with Madison's contract is that we would only save about one-third of his $8 million cap figure by cutting him; the rest would be dead money from accelerating his signing bonus. If he's willing to accept a restructure that doesn't include new money and would cut his cap figure by at least $3 million, we've got to keep him.

Originally posted by goochesdolphins
Sam Madison says that he doesnt want to take a pay cut, well hes been crap the past couple of years, i say get rid of him.
Theres plenty of teams who need cornerbacks that have good lineman.
Trade his ***, and get a good lineman, and get some room on our cap.

Who agrees:D

Well if this is a fact, then considering his play the past 2 seasons then I would agree,, trade Madison .....

But I also think that it is WAY too early to put a lot of stock into some of the reports concerning contract restructuring ....

:D

Marino1983

the most crucial player to our defense is without a doubt zach thomas, i mean did you see when he didnt play in the tennesse game how bad our defense was.
Id take zach thomas over anybody on our defense

Originally posted by Phishstix

t.buck:lol: there isn't a cheaper corner out there as good as sam. nobody in the league is better at anticipation than he is. his big handicap is his speed i.e. if he ran a 4.3, he'd be a future hof. he is handicapping the f.o.'s flexibility with his contract, and from the looks of it, it will get restructured and his salary would be garunteed, saving 4 million in cap room.

Well, being one of the highest paid, if not the highest, CBs in the league, it's a pretty far reach to say that there isn't a cheaper one out there as good as Sam. besides, Surtain is cheaper and twice as good. A real "shame" we already have him.
Anticipation?? Really! Whay do you say that? His INTs are less than half of what they were before he signed this big deal. he has 29 total INTs for his career with a measly 8 of them in the last 3 yrs. Usually his "anticipation" results are when he jumps the route for the pick, misses, and we see him torched for a bif gainer or even a TD. Part of his problem just may be his speed and he surely is handicapping us with his big contract. It would be a huge difference if he was living up to his as Surtain is living up to his. iMO, they way Madison has performed of late, i don't know if it's smart to push alot more $$$ into the future. You try to limit restructuring as much as possible and when doing so, you do it with players that warrant it. madison is not one of those kind of players, IMO. His play shows that he is in it strictly for the $$$.

Originally posted by dolfan34
the most crucial player to our defense is without a doubt zach thomas, i mean did you see when he didnt play in the tennesse game how bad our defense was.

I deem Thomas expendable. He's not that great. 90% of his tackles are 5-10 yards downfield & he's not very good in pass coverage. Hendricks recorded 18 tackles in Zach's absence vs the Titans, he wasn't the reason we lost. Without Madison, Surtain, & Taylor our defense is crap & we'd have to change our system.

If that is a true statement, than the defense will not miss a beat if we get rid of the other talent in the defense, right?

I agree with you to that fact that this defense's soul, that puts fear on other offenses, starts with and ends with Zack, not JT, Wale, Bowens, Pat or anyone else on D. He is the center of attention on the opponents offensive schemes. Once he is not there, the opponents can attack our D at free will.

Originally posted by SMadison29

Without Madison, Surtain, & Taylor our defense is crap & we'd have to change our system.

Madison? He is good but no where near what he used to be. Our defense would not be "crap" without him. I want to keep Madison if he restructures. He is still a solid player but is no longer the top 5 CB he used to be.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Well, being one of the highest paid, if not the highest, CBs in the league, it's a pretty far reach to say that there isn't a cheaper one out there as good as Sam. besides, Surtain is cheaper and twice as good. A real "shame" we already have him.
Anticipation?? Really! Whay do you say that? His INTs are less than half of what they were before he signed this big deal. he has 29 total INTs for his career with a measly 8 of them in the last 3 yrs. Usually his "anticipation" results are when he jumps the route for the pick, misses, and we see him torched for a bif gainer or even a TD. Part of his problem just may be his speed and he surely is handicapping us with his big contract. It would be a huge difference if he was living up to his as Surtain is living up to his. iMO, they way Madison has performed of late, i don't know if it's smart to push alot more $$$ into the future. You try to limit restructuring as much as possible and when doing so, you do it with players that warrant it. madison is not one of those kind of players, IMO. His play shows that he is in it strictly for the $$$.

like i asked somebody before, put on your gm hat, cut/trade sam, and find me a fa corner of equal quality that will be cheaper than sam.

Originally posted by goochesdolphins
Sam Madison says that he doesnt want to take a pay cut, well hes been crap the past couple of years, i say get rid of him.
Theres plenty of teams who need cornerbacks that have good lineman.
Trade his ***, and get a good lineman, and get some room on our cap.

Who agrees:D

Your an idiot, you think Sam Madison is a whiny player, just because he wants some money that he deserves doesn't mean that he is whiny. And when has he ever cost us a game?

Trading Sam would be a cap nightmare for years to come. I may be wrong about the dead money. But it is not worth getting rid of a SOLID player for a Pick that might pan out.

But even if the Phins were to get a 1st rounder for him. They would HAVE TO REPLACE HIM. The Phins corners are one play away from getting burned for a TD on most plays. The play a style of D that even some of the best CB's would fail far worse than Sam. Playing Man To Man is bad enough for most CB's. Now try to do it on all most every down. The Phins need Sam more than Sam needs the Phins. The D would take a huge blow if they lost Sam & OGUN. Even if they got good picks for them. People complain now about the D. It would be a nightmare for those people if the Phins lose both players.

As far as Sam not taking pay cut. The Phins KNOW that when they give Sam, Pat, Jason, Zach, Ricky, C.C. (Will be getting) & Tim the big contracts. They might not be willing to give up millions of dollars. So that the TEAM can sign ANOTHER guy. At some point in your Career you have to secure your life PAST FOOTBALL. Sam earned his contract. The Phins gave him the Big $$$$. Why should he give it back? If your boss comes to you today and says look the company is in a jam. We made some bad choices and we need you to take a pay cut of about 10 - 25%. Do the same job for less than you are used to. Do you think that might mess up your life style?

Point is DO NOT GIVE a contract that the TEAM is not ready to BACKUP. I think contracts should be in the form of large signing bonus. Then if the player has a bad or good season his contract will reflect it the next season. In the NFL you are only as good as your last play. There is no loyal players or owners in this league. Show Me The Money should be the New Name To This League.

Teams sign these guys with HUGE 7 - 10 year contracts. They might have enough cap space for maybe 3 years. Then they ask these guys to take pay cuts for the Team. It would SUCK to sign a HUGE deal and KNOW that you will never see the $$$$ in full. If you are lucky you can get a 10+million signing bonus.

If I gave you a million dollars today. Chances are within 5 years you would be broke. People that do not have money spend it like CRAZY when their boat comes in. To live the NFL life you are gonna Party & Spend millions. The problem is that when you live for 10+ years of having money. Then retire and not get the TV gig. Your still have the debt. But now you can not just break your Piggy Bank to pay them. Let Sam keep the MONEY......The Phins need to make better choices when they GIVE THEM!!!!

hey gooch, i agree we should cut sam madison if he dosent take a paycut, but if he does take a paycut then i say keep him cuz i see no available cornerbacks on the market that are as good as same exept for champ bailey and shawn springs but i dont expect us to go after them.
or we could always just trade him for an olinemen or a quality reciever

Trouble is with a trade, all the remaining portion of his pro-rated bonus, about 6.3 mil, will hit all this year. However, it would depend on who the trade was for tho if it would be worth it or not for the long haul.

If we cut madison, then we have someone new come in, or someone new start, who is going to get burnt 10x more then madison did, with less ints then madison gets for us.

I think we need to keep Madison. I think Marion was more of a problem than Madison, Madison can still keep up with some of the best WR's in the NFL and you can't let a CB that good go. I think it was the Texan game where he got hurt and they just kept going after Fletcher. Madison will help our team get under the cap but he doesn't want to just give up 4-5 million dollars, i dont think ne one would want to give up that much $. If we guarantee his money for this year than we will save bout 4 million i think and that would put us round 12 million over i think. After gettin rid of Fielder and Griese we should be even. And we can still restructure Bowens, Marion, Thompson(if we dont cut him), McKnight(same thing), Ruddy, and Zach. We aren't in Salary cap hell yet and there is no need to cut a key part to our team.

Back
Top Bottom