San Antonio Spurs 08-09' X's 5 Redemption Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

San Antonio Spurs 08-09' X's 5 Redemption Thread

Tonights Game....

Spurs 6-6

23sopf-1.jpg

vs

Grizzlies 4-9

2hxm13o-1.jpg

http://www.nba.com/games/20081124/SASMEM/preview.html

Even with their experienced starting backcourt sidelined, the San Antonio Spurs are finding ways to win. The Memphis Grizzlies, meanwhile, keep losing despite the strong play of their young guards.

The Spurs go for their fifth win in six games Monday night as they travel to Memphis, which will be trying to avoid a third straight defeat.

San Antonio (6-6) is coming off a 119-94 rout of Utah on Friday, as it hit a season-high 51.9 percent from the field. Roger Mason started his seventh straight game at point guard in place of Tony Parker, who suffered a sprained left ankle Nov. 7, and scored a season-high 29 points on 10-of-17 shooting.

"I wasn't going to go too crazy, but it was one of those nights," said Mason, who went 7-of-10 from 3-point range. "Definitely felt good. If I had an open look, I was mad if I missed one.''

The Spurs started 8-of-9 from beyond the arc and finished at a season-best 60 percent (15-of-25). They're shooting 40.9 percent from 3-point range and are 5-2 since Parker was injured.

Parker's return 'getting close

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parkers_return_getting_close.html

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — One star guard back from injury and one to go for the Spurs.

Manu Ginobili made his season debut Monday night in Memphis, completing 11-plus weeks of rehab from offseason ankle surgery. Next on the docket: getting Tony Parker back in the lineup as well.

Parker has been out since spraining his left ankle in a game against Miami on Nov. 7. Though no exact game has been targeted for Parker to return, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Monday the team should get its starting point guard back sooner, rather than later.

“He's getting close,” Popovich said. “It's not going to be three weeks. It's not going to be two weeks. It will probably be sooner than that.”

Parker is leading the Spurs in scoring this season, averaging 27.4 points in five games before getting hurt.

Originally, team doctors had put a four-week timetable on Parker's rehab. He seems on pace to beat that prognosis.

“He gets to work pretty quickly,” Popovich said. “He's like Manu. He wants to get back on the court.”

H-O-R-S-E hosed: It was seven hours before Ginobili was to play in his first game of the season Monday, and already things were not going to plan.

Give a healthy Tony and Manu time to gel with the new players along with Tim,and I see some spectacular things in the future for the Spurs.

Tomorrow Nights Game...

Bulls 7-8

b5it7l-1.jpg

Vs.

Spurs 7-6

2mysnyu-1.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2008112624

In his return to the court, Manu Ginobili helped the San Antonio Spurs to a win, and Tony Parker plans on pitching in soon.

When Vinny Del Negro returns to San Antonio, he’s hoping to produce the opposite result for the Spurs.

Del Negro will make his first appearance as a head coach in the city where he spent the prime of his playing career when his Chicago Bulls continue their seven-game road trip on Wednesday night.

Ginobili made his first appearance following offseason ankle surgery on Monday night, and after missing 12 games, he scored 12 points in less than 12 minutes in the Spurs’ 94-81 win at Memphis.

“I felt pretty good about it,” Ginobili said. “I didn’t rush it a lot. I took my time, found the open seam, made a couple of shots. I wasn’t thinking about a great game on my first one, so I’m happy with what I did.”

Fridays Game...

Grizzlies 4-10

29wubfn-1.jpg

vs.

Spurs 8-6

1447f9-1.jpg

http://http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2008112824&prov=ap

Manu Ginobili’s return may have been a spark for the San Antonio Spurs, but it’s a much lesser known bench player who seems to be providing a bigger one.

Rookie George Hill looks to continue his surge on Friday, as do the Spurs when they host the stumbling Memphis Grizzlies.

Hill was selected 26th overall by San Antonio in this year’s draft, but was virtually unknown to most NBA fans because he played collegiately at IUPUI of the Summit League. His playing time was limited until Tony Parker’s injury, along with the absence of Ginobili, prompted coach Gregg Popovich to insert Hill into the starting lineup earlier this month.

In his sixth and most recent game as a starter, Hill scored 20 points against Denver on Nov. 19, and he hasn’t slowed down since returning to the bench for the last three games. He’s averaged 20.7 points in that span—the Spurs (8-6) have won each game—and the 6-foot-2 Hill had his first double-double Wednesday with 19 points and 11 rebounds in a 98-88 victory over Chicago.

With TP being out, it's giving Hill a chance to learn the offense on the fly and work with the regulars. It's a win-win situation so long as TP comes back healthy

Tony played well last night.As far as his health,I'll trust the medical staff.They are pretty cautious.

Now that hes back, the team can figure out its best rotations.Be interesting to see what this team would be like if Mahinmi came down.

Tonights Affair....

Spurs 9-6

6czb-1.jpg

vs.

Rockets 10-6

iqfwbk-1.jpg

http://www.nba.com/games/20081129/SASHOU/preview.html

In their first meeting of the season, the banged-up San Antonio Spurs won a sloppy, low-scoring affair over the healthy Houston Rockets. Now that the tables have turned on the injury front, the Spurs have to be confident about their chances of winning the rematch.

After playing with their top three players for the first time this season, the Spurs look to continue their resurgence Saturday night when they visit the Rockets, who could again be without Tracy McGrady.

San Antonio opened the season without last season's leading scorer, Manu Ginobili, because of offseason ankle surgery. Things got worse for the Spurs when point guard Tony Parker went down with a severe left ankle sprain in a Nov. 7 game against Miami.

Though they still had Tim Duncan in the middle, the Spurs struggled without their top perimeter players, opening the season 2-5 for their worst start since 1996-97. San Antonio, however, has rebounded to win seven of its last eight games, even though it wasn't until this week when Ginobili and Parker returned.

McGrady is always questionable against the Spurs and then he always goes and drops 25 and the game winner.

Spurs win here and they're in 1st. Hard to imagine when they were 2-5 to start the year

Back
Top Bottom