Sanders…..at it again | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sanders…..at it again

The call was even sillier. No reason to take that risk at that stage in the game.

That’s a bad coaching decision.
I can’t believe how many people have been saying this.

You have a scoring opportunity with your 3rd string QB with a chance to take the lead… Zero NFL people punt the ball in that situation.

The number of people who have said we should have punted or go for it is really shocking. It’s a 54yd field goal, not 64yd… and sanders was supposed to be all-pro just 2 years ago.

The dude is washed up. We needed that FG, the tide was turning and we lost the game on that. It all fell apart after.

Field goal % for 54 yards is 60%... Almost a coinflip.
Ur not getting it, he is not paid like the NFL average, he’s getting paid like one of the best, if you Look average of the top 5 kickers it paints a different picture, dude it is not top 5, 10 or 20 at this point, he has sadly become Matt haack of kickers….

Ur not getting it, he is not paid like the NFL average, he’s getting paid like one of the best, if you Look average of the top 5 kickers it paints a different picture, dude it is not top 5, 10 or 20 at this point, he has sadly become Matt haack of kickers….
His contract has nothing to do with him making or missing.

His contract has nothing to do with him making or missing.
I’m sad for you, you don’t get it and only arguing to argue, we could more with the money we are spending on a premier kicker who’s providing average results, if you don’t see that then there is nothing further to discuss…..

Sanders is a choke artist. Have zero faith in him to ever make a meaningful field goal. Would like to see him replaced this off-season, but the list of guys needing to get replaced is starting to get long.

Sanders underestimated the wind. That's all that happened. Everything else was fine.

None of you guys have ever wagered on field goal attempts. That's blatantly obvious, based on nobody mentioning the severe cross wind at that end of the stadium. All you had to do was watch the Jets kicker during the second quarter. He hit the ball fine yet it knuckleballed severely from left to right. As soon as I saw that I knew that a kick of any distance in that direction was going to require considerable compensation by the kicker.

The other side of the stadium plays totally differently. I have often noted that in prior years. If we had been kicking in that direction Sanders would have been able to use his typical leg swing with slight draw and little to no compensation for the wind.

Instead, Sanders knew darn well the ball was going to be carried to the right. His alignment was perfect. But instead of a standard smooth swing he aggressively punched at the ball, attempting to fight the wind. My estimate is that he aimed at the left upright. That's what it looked like and IMO it was the logical borrow.

But you never know in situations like that. The ball at that end of the stadium reacts in mid flight, in contrast to some stadiums in which the wind impact is very late and sideways. Sanders' kick never reached the intended trajectory he had for it, which was mid height toward the left upright and then wind assisted back toward the middle. Instead it was already too straight and peeling away.

The streamers hanging from the uprights don't always tell the full story. That's why it's vital to watch the prior kicks and how they react. I'm not a Jay Feely fan for other reasons but when he was out there as sideline analyst he did a great job of describing the situational influence. That was totally absent today. Feely would have been all over that left to right influence.

Again, this is all very similar to golf. That's why it's so simple to identify. With a sturdy left to right cross breeze and a driver in hand, you aim toward the left edge of the fairway and take a more aggressive pass at the ball. It feels awesome when you've gauged and executed correctly, the slightly lower piercing ball flight carving back to the center. It's actually every bit as rewarding when you hit it so well that the ball "goes through the wind" and remains left. But every golfer in that situation has experienced what happened to Sanders today. No matter the precise visualization, the ball never cooperates and is long gone wide right quickly off the clubface.

It would be moronic to get rid of him.

This guy, any little bit of a pressure kick and he can’t make it, unbelievable.
that kick had an incredible amount of English on it almost like a knuckleball

Sanders is a choke artist. Have zero faith in him to ever make a meaningful field goal. Would like to see him replaced this off-season, but the list of guys needing to get replaced is starting to get long.
wow, he's a great kicker you're reacting like a baby

Field goal % for 54 yards is 60%... Almost a coinflip.

Not an argumentative question, but what is the timeframe for the 60% conversion rate percentage?

I don't believe it's a chipshot kick, but I do think that miss deflated the team to the point where the Jets got all the momentum.

And, I don't blame McDaniel for wanting to take the kick in that situation/game was going at the time.

wow, he's a great kicker you're reacting like a baby
What are you talking about? The NFL’s average field goal percentage has been above 84% for 9 of the past 10 seasons. Jason Sanders’s career field goal percentage is 82.8%, and he’s below 75% for 2021 and 2022. He has not made a field goal longer than 51 yards since 2020.

Even being generous, he is a below average kicker. There is no possible argument he’s a “great” kicker. Factor in his salary and the fact that he tends to disproportionately miss important field goals, and he’s much closer to terrible than good.

To win a game, esp with a thrid string QB and a bunch of players injured, you have to make sure that all three phases of the team execute well. The FG team simply did not do that. I don't blame McD for determining that to win this game, we have to take chance at points .

Back
Top Bottom