Schefter: Ross will want big name quarterback | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schefter: Ross will want big name quarterback

Look up his stats for the last two years and tell me with a straight face he wouldn't be a big catch.

A big catch? No, but he'd be an upgrade. Stats tell part of the story, don't fall in love w/ his fantasy #s playing for a bad team that threw the ball a million times.

Say no to VY.

Name not mentioned - Matt Flynn. The kid has it, just needs a chance.

I wanted to draft a QB but it looks like that is out the window. I think Orton gives you a better chance to win than Henne. Young is a real gamble but I don't know. He did get them rolling in TN. I think the Titans coaching staff is so f'n overrated it would be funny if Young was sucessful somewhere else.

Unfortunately, Ross is going to need a little more than sifting through other team's system quarterbacks, game managers, cast-offs, and washed up veterans if excitement is what he's after. He's going to also need an entirely new philosophy that starts at the top and trickles it's way down onto the field. He's going to need a new regime that isn't afraid of their own shadow. In fact, I think Ross already knew this, which is what prompted the entire fiasco with Jim Harbaugh to begin with... along with a legitimate, long term solution at the quarterback position that has the potential to develope into a franchise caliber signal caller.

A few of these options are capable of coming in here and managing a game well enough to keep extending Tony Sparano's lifeline while the team continues to tread water and wallow in it's self imposed mediocrity.... but you're not going to win anything with 'em.

At best, a few of these options are capable of taking a mediocre team and sustaining it's mediocrity at a more consistent pace, but they're not going to take a mediocre football team and make it a championship contender. It's just not going to happen.

All they're going to achieve is perhaps a more consistent level of maintaining momentum in the exact same ruts they're in now, which is the BEST case scenario. Similar to the trade for a washed up, concussed Trent Green, or a cerebral game manager in form of Pennington. Or a Joey Harrington trade... or a Daunte Culpepper trade... etc, etc.

The worst case scenario is the one that's continiously being played out in Miami over and over again, that the Dolphins appear hellbound and determined to repeat...which is the "exciting" new scrub, journeyman, or cast-off can't stay healthy... gets hurt again, and you're forced to be exposed again as the bottom feeding franchise that refuses to address the quarterback position correctly.

I'll say this in regards to Stephen Ross.... he definitely has his work cut out for him with this bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
how could Ross say such a thing? He is aware that the next Dan Marino is already on the roster, right? He said so himself.

and what do they use for bird hunting in your town KEV?

When I go hunting I don't use a shotgun - as far as I am concerned it only takes one bullet, and Schefter certainly doesn't believe in that approach either - is that a prob for you too?

I don't eat bird full of shot do you? If we want to blow things up we shoot gophers and prairie dogs

How many of those were winning seasons?

Orton is trash. He will be another mediocre QB, who can get MIA a WC only to see him fold against elite' defenses, ala Penny 08. All the while doing nothing for this team long term. Dude is being replaced by Teblow, going to his 3rd team in 4yrs.

Tell me with a straight face that Orton is franchise QB. Penny part deux.

Franchise QB? Outside of Rodgers/Brees/Brady/Manning/Rivers. Who are these franchise QB'S that grow on trees?

Big Ben/Ryan and Flacco? You mean guys that are asked to not lose games.

Overall Orton was a top 12 QB in this league the last 2 seasons. That is good enough for me.

Also looking at his stats he posted 12 TD'S to 8 INT'S with a rating over 80 in the losses. That to me doesn't dictate a QB being the problem. He had more positives then negatives.

A big catch? No, but he'd be an upgrade. Stats tell part of the story, don't fall in love w/ his fantasy #s playing for a bad team that threw the ball a million times.

They threw 73 more times then the Pats who were at #20 for attempts. That equates to 5 more pass attempts then the 20 ranked team. You might wanna rethink that last sentence, unless you believe throwing 5 more times equates to an ungodly million more times then other teams.

Denver was tied with 3 other teams at #7

15th rated quarterback out of 31, I guess thats an upgrade when you have the 26th rated QB, but middle of the pack doesn't make my knees shake.

Depends on what stats you look at. Overall he is top 12. If you want an elite QB then fine. But good luck finding one. He is more then average and has proven it

Big Ben is a franchise QB and if you don't think so you should stop pretending to understand what the QB position is besides "Guy who throws the football"

Back
Top Bottom