Schweigert flies to Miami to talk with Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schweigert flies to Miami to talk with Dolphins

I like Stu hes a great safety...ball hawk...good tackler...does he remind you of anyone...archuleta maybe...i hope we pick him up...he'll give arturo a run for his money.

I like Stu a lot, but he probably isn't #20 overall worthy. He's an option if we somehow pick up a 2nd-round pick.

If we're looking for a safety in the 1st, it should be Sean Jones.

Yea Sean too hes awesome and Bob Sander aint bad neither i read his analysis but didnt get anything on Jones...I really hope we get a quality safety out of the draft we could use the depth i guess but i think im just not comfortable with arturo back there.

Stu's workout #'s from Draft Exchange:

COMBINE UPDATE:
HEIGHT: 6.02.3
WEIGHT: 222
225# REPS: 19
40 AVERAGE: 4.44
VERTICAL: 38.5

Pro Day Update :
HEIGHT: 6.01.9
WEIGHT: 215
VERTICLE: 32.0
LONG JUMP: 9'6"

haha how did stu go from 6'2 at combine and 6'1 at pro day thas crazy...but it looks good to me...4.44 forty aint bad...what was his 40 at pro day cuz it looks like he lost some weight.

Well we could try to trade our first for two seconds the Saints(48th, and 60th) and the Titans(42nd, 57th) both have 2 2nd rounders. The Titans need to replace Robaire Smith and Kearse. The Saints Have some holes on Defense as well. Or work something else out with either of these teams. Just an idea.

what round would we want to get him in? the Third?

No way any team will give up two 2nd rounders for a late 1st.
Keep an eye on Matt Ware from UCLA....

Originally posted by GreenFin
No way any team will give up two 2nd rounders for a late 1st.
Keep an eye on Matt Ware from UCLA....

It all depends on who's on the board. Someone else talked about Denver having 2 2nd rounders and no established running back. It's not at all inconceivable that they would trade up to our spot for Steven Jackson, or maybe even Kevin Jones. The Titans might want to trade up for Randy Starks. The Saints...well, they've got too many holes to fill to trade up, but you get the idea.

Originally posted by ChambersNBoston
haha how did stu go from 6'2 at combine and 6'1 at pro day thas crazy...but it looks good to me...4.44 forty aint bad...what was his 40 at pro day cuz it looks like he lost some weight.

hes 6'2. and looks like a stud. runsa a 4.44. oh yeah.

Wasn't someone saying yesterday that we shouldn't be surprised if we picked a safety at 20? hehe

That would be me...but I didn't have Schweigert in mind. I was thinking more along the lines of Sean Jones or Matt Ware. Jones at least has been popping up on mock draft radar screens in the first round lately. My thinking behind us taking a safety is mainly that its the thing we're not expecting so far. If we picked an OL like Andrews or Carey...or even Smiley or Grove, thats something we're all expecting. If we picked up a Vilma I guess most wouldn't really expect that but we're all very familiar with Vilma and most would like the pick. Same with a WR like Reggie Williams or Lee Evans.

Of course, another CB like Dunta Robinson would be completely unexpected but thats also not Miami's style in the last four years. The last 4 years they have a habit of satisfying a need we all think could be done in the mid-rounds, with a higher pick than we thought. Right now the position that fits that bill is safety, because safety is the one position you can guarantee the Dolphins will draft a guy in the top 4 or 5 rounds for. You can't guarantee they'll grab a guard, cuz they might grab a tackle. You can't guarantee they'll grab a tackle, cuz they might grab a guard. Same with Center. Same with WR, no guarantees, we could just go in with a top 3 of D-Boss, Chambers, and Derrius, Tolver and Minnis/Wilkins/Simmons/Newson waiting in the wings and that would work pretty good actually. As of now we still have Ogunleye so we don't need to draft a DE. We have three starting quality DTs (tho they are old), a solidly filled out LB corp except at backup MLB (which we could prolly get June 1st if we wanted), 3 starting quality CBs plus Alphonso Roundtree and Korey Banks...we're solid on a lot of positions but they've come out and publically said we'll be getting a safety.

So my 'surprise' pick in round 1 I think would be either Sean Jones or Matt Ware at safety (Schweigert is not a 1st round candidate), or like Karlos Dansby, DJ Williams, or Jon Vilma at LB. My reasoning on those last 3 is, we don't have a backup MLB and the FO knows they need one. Grabbing a first round LB probably displaces Morlon Greenwood, who IMO could probably backup Zach at MLB and the rookie at SSLB, while Eddie Moore tries to work in the mix behind Seau.

Back
Top Bottom