Scouts Inc ranks top 3rd WRs, and top Nickel CBs....Miami made the list | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scouts Inc ranks top 3rd WRs, and top Nickel CBs....Miami made the list

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
They listed Reggie Howard as a top nickel CB. I don't know if the ordering was significant but they listed Howard 2nd, after Walt Harris of the Redskins. There weren't numbers or rankings next to the listings though so it might have just been a list of the top nickel CBs not a ranking of them (in other words, Howard isn't necessarily the 2nd best nickel CB in the league according to them).

They say he's only 27 and can make a career out of the nickel role, and he played solid starting 29 games for the Panthers the past two years. He should not be thought of as a replacement for Madison when he gets too old, however he is an excellent nickel CB. The failure of Jamar Fletcher to develop really hurt the phins, so they said.

Interestingly enough the AFC East is full of good nickel CB situations. Of the 6 nickel CBs listed, 3 of them are in the AFC East. Ray Mickens made the list, and Asante Samuel made the list. They said Mickens was forced to start like 14 games last year but will move back to nickel where he'll remain one of the best. Samuel is small, fast, and makes plays and will continue to be a terror to quarterbacks so long as he's a nickel CB...unless the Pats move him to starter depending on what they do with Eugene Wilson, and Ty Law.

The other nickel CBs listed were Chris Gamble of the Panthers, Walt Harris of the Skins, and Mario Edwards of the Bucs.

As for the 3rd WRs, well big surprise we didn't make the list. If they ranked WR pairings we would probably make the list, but as for 3rd guys we don't even know who our 3rd guy will be or even if he's on the freakin roster yet.

I think Kendall Newson, a personal favorite since his playing days in NFL Europe, is about a half step away from really stepping up though and I tend to be VERY conservative with those kinds of accolades (as opposed to the people who tend to take every piece of rubbish on the roster and say "I like his potential...")

FYI the listed 3rd WRs are...Michael Clayton of the Bucs, Donte Stallworth of the Saints, Tai Streets of the Lions, James Thrash of the Redskins, Antwaan Randall-El of the Steelers, Nate Burleson of the Vikings, Kelly Washington of the Bengals, Josh Reed of the Bills, and Tyrone Calico of the Titans.

Notice some of these names are guys that phins fans clamored for like Washington and Calico? Notice that they are expected to be good THIRD WRs? They are in their second year folks, still not starters...so its not like drafting a WR last year would have translated to super bowl bound.

I really disliked the fact that kendall Newson dropped 2 of the 3 passes thrown to him during the season last year.

Add to that the best dime CB.

Seriously, I know that a lot of you guys didnt like the fact that we drafted Poole because he was not a need, but he was definitely the BPA and I was hoping that Rick would draft him. I mentioned this after Day 1 of the draft.

I think he will start for us one day.

I think he is needed. If he can play dime CB, he is cheaper then T-Buck.

I dont think on Draft Day with our second pick that a CB was a need when we have three starting calibre CBs.

Our LB depth was and still is horrible and we cud've drafted another Olineman.

Dline was also a need with Sopoaga still around.

I really disliked the fact that kendall Newson dropped 2 of the 3 passes thrown to him during the season last year.

No kiddin. But, he was basically a rookie, I mean the only levels he had played at were less than the NFL (including NFL Europe). Even the offense he worked in, in NFL Europe, was kind of a spread offense which nobody in the NFL runs and lots of college teams run.

He could be another Charles Jordan sure.

Those catches could of saved Griese's job.

Well I hope Kendall Newsom does kick it up notch. I thought he did a decent job of getting open. I thought he was going to be a decent 3rd wide reciever after the first catch. On the last two drops he was pretty open.

ckparrothead said:
Notice some of these names are guys that phins fans clamored for like Washington and Calico? Notice that they are expected to be good THIRD WRs? They are in their second year folks, still not starters...so its not like drafting a WR last year would have translated to super bowl bound.

How about Anquan Boldin? How did he do last year?

DolphinzD said:
How about Anquan Boldin? How did he do last year?

Anquan Boldin? I never heard of him. I think you are the first person to mention him EVER!!!

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Anquan Boldin? I never heard of him. I think you are the first person to mention him EVER!!!

Yeah I know, isn't that weird? Guess I'd better go look up his stats. He didn't happen to win an award or anything last year, did he?

ckparrothead said:
FYI the listed 3rd WRs are...Michael Clayton of the Bucs, Donte Stallworth of the Saints, Tai Streets of the Lions, James Thrash of the Redskins, Antwaan Randall-El of the Steelers, Nate Burleson of the Vikings, Kelly Washington of the Bengals, Josh Reed of the Bills, and Tyrone Calico of the Titans.

Well that can be misleading, the part about the WR's not starting, Who are the WR's ahead of them? Do you think Fitzgerald could beat out Chambers? I mean If there is a couple of good vets ahead of them theres no way Calico or Washington will start. Unless they are performing lights out! I would love to have Calico as a third WR. Also the oppisite is true. Looks like unless you,....CK, listed them in no speacial order, they have Clayton on the top of the list the. I think the Bucs drafted him, McCardell is giving them grief over his contract, so maybe the guys that put Clayton on the list, was because McCardell might be moving on. Still, Clayton's a rookie How in the world can anyone say he's the third WR when he's not even out of mimicamp?

I love the fact that Howard made the list, I just hope it's not because of reputation. He was helped alot by the play of Ricky Manning, who in the playoffs last year was playing "LIGHTS OUT", just ask McNabb.

DolphinzD said:
Yeah I know, isn't that weird? Guess I'd better go look up his stats. He didn't happen to win an award or anything last year, did he?

He is the exception to the rule. The exception doesn't disprove the rule.

Newson can have all the talent the coaches see. He caught one pass last year. He got called for a big Off Pass Int, and also caused an INT, that should have been a reception. Ok, I really feel comfortable going into the year with him. At least we know if he makes the roster, he will have a career year :). The Dolphins have no draft strategy, because they do everything out of order. They say they are going to go for the Best Available player, and they draft a need (Carey) Wilfork and Udeze were better players, just to name a few of the BPA. And then they take Poole, BPA, when they have other needs. I rather have the BPA, and I love the Poole pick, he is going to be a great player, and he can be groomed to be a dominant corner. With that being said, I am done.

Back
Top Bottom