Second Round DB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Second Round DB

Kyfinsfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Obviously, the final player evaluations will rely on dissection of actual game film. Still today's combine 40 times indicate that some interesting DB prospects should be available to the Phins in the 2nd round. IMHO a few interesting prospects and analysis.

K.Jennings CB - Miami - knock on him is his small size. Still fairly impressive speed, perhaps he is still around.

Comtarie CB - FSU - slow combine time. A result of injury recovery, rust, or indicative of actual speed. Has all the other measureables for a DB. Also complete player evaluation is difficult due to shortage of on the field experience due to inijury. Seems like a real wild card. It will be interesting to see his time at the pro day.

J. Allen DB - Tenn. - perhaps a mini-Huff here. Versatility in CB and Safety. Seems to have overcome the speed aspects of his hip injury. Same injury questions as above, real question here seems to be how is he in space, given the hip injury and the neccisty for the hips in the Secondary.

Final thought. Generally I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on 40 times because often "game speed" is different due to recognition of the play, strenght (they are carrying extra weight with the pads), and general discipline of playing hard every play. Still the 40 is one of many tools to use. Just food for thought.

If Cromartie is sitting there when we pick in the 2nd we would be foolish not to take him unless there is some kind of collosal slide of a great player that falls to us. (not happening) I doubt Cromartie gets out of the first but other that him I like Jonathan Joseph, Richard Marshall, Cedric Griffin, Demario Minter, Danieal Manning, Anwar Phillips and Darrel Hunter in the 2nd. Wow there are a lot of good corners in this draft we need to take advantage of this. Kelly Jennings... Reminds me of Phillip Buchannon too much, no thanks.

playmaker1 said:
They are all good pick ups, but we need a bit bigger DBs I think
Bit bigger DBs? Cromartie and Allen are both over 6'. 200lbs

How about Greg Blue - Safety out of Georgia. He is big and hit like a truck, somewhat the same type of player as Thomas Davis was for Georgia.

BigScuingili said:
How about Greg Blue - Safety out of Georgia. He is big and hit like a truck, somewhat the same type of player as Thomas Davis was for Georgia.

I loved watching Blue at Georgia. Unfortunately, I think he projects as a better LB in the pro's, much like the aforementioned Thomas Davis. Blue is a monster tackler and run stuffer but I would question his coverage skills and recovery speed at the next level.

There're gonna be at least 2 or 3 pretty good DB's for us in the 2nd round...I like Marshall or Allen if they're there depending on what we do in free agency.Jennings is also posible tho he could be gone by the time we pick....I think the key to us having a great draft is getting Brees and Betley in free agency and then we can go defence with at least 3 of our top 4 picks.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny said:
There're gonna be at least 2 or 3 pretty good DB's for us in the 2nd round...I like Marshall or Allen if they're there depending on what we do in free agency.Jennings is also posible tho he could be gone by the time we pick....I think the key to us having a great draft is getting Brees and Betley in free agency and then we can go defence with at least 3 of our top 4 picks.

Ozzy rules!!

Yeah Marshall is another good option.

I want either Joseph, or Marshall, and if we trade down and aquire a late second, I want Blue, he dowes have great recovery speed, he runs a 4.42 40.

i like daniel bullocks from nebraska. he ran a 4.38, thats amazing for a safety

Canadi-Phin said:
Gil brandt says in his article on NFL.com that Cromartie rana 4.39. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9273222

If that's the case, unreal. I don't see it on the times ont he page but that's what Brandt said.

from the above link,

"The group of defensive backs blistered the track. Two guys ran under 4.3 -- Tye Hill of Clemson and Tim Jennings of Georgia. Four posted times below 4.4: South Carolina's Johnathan Joseph (4.36), Texas' Michael Huff (4.36), Tennessee's Jason Allen (4.35) and Florida State's Antonio Cromartie (4.39)."

Speed isn't everything, but most of those players are good, really good. I'm telling ya, Jason Allen is as good a player as you may ever find sitting in round 2. Cromartie and Huff will likely be gone by then.

That is an interesting list. I really like Griffin from Texas and have seen him projected from early 2nd to 3rd round. I think Allen will drop due to his injuries, maybe even as far as the 4th round. And I still don't see Cromartie going in the 1st as many have suggested. Too many other good players to take a chance that high IMO.

Back
Top Bottom