Second Tier QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Second Tier QB's

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
It's almost a given that Miami will be drafting a quarterback come April. I'm sure they'd like to get Jay Cutler if he's available or close enough to trade up for, but assuming the Dolphins can't get one of the top 3 who would you most like to see them take? I believe the next group is Brodie Croyle, Omar Jacobs and Charlie Whitehurst. Of those, I like Croyle the best. His main flaw is a big one, however, in that he has been injury prone. Jacobs has a huge upside, but is probably the least polished of the three. I only saw him once and came away somewhat disappointed. He did not remind me of Culpepper, which were the early comparisons. Still, I think with the Dolphins coaching staff he would have a chance to be special -- I think he's the type they are looking for. Whitehurst is so inconsistent, but has nice skills to work with. I wonder with him if he only needs good coaching as he didn't have that in college. Whitehurst is also pretty adept at knowing when to take off and run, which I like.

maybe mularkey could help jacobs progress faster since hes known for teaching up qbs well.

I know some people don't like him but I like Josh Betts in the later rounds.Macneal(sp?)looked pretty good the other day too...he's got an arm and can move too.

Ozzy rules!!

Here is what I would do....trade our 16th pick for the Broncos 22nd and 29th pick....we could grab Omar Jacobs likely at the 29th spot and find a killer O-lineman at the 22nd spot or a really good d-back.

TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE. :)

The only thing i dont like about jacobs is i read that he was not much of a team leader. Kinda quiet. I apologize that i cant remember where i read it. I like Croyle in the 3rd.

Roman529 said:
Here is what I would do....trade our 16th pick for the Broncos 22nd and 29th pick....we could grab Omar Jacobs likely at the 29th spot and find a killer O-lineman at the 22nd spot or a really good d-back.

Omar with the 29th? Thats nuts. If someone else wants to reach for him let em, I wouldnt touch this guy before day 2.

beejay05 said:
The only thing i dont like about jacobs is i read that he was not much of a team leader. Kinda quiet. I apologize that i cant remember where i read it. I like Croyle in the 3rd.

Just so no-one bugs you about a link

Ive heard the same thing about his quietness, that he's more of a silent 'lead by example guy' than big talker

I like Jacobs in the 2nd or 3rd round though Id be happy to take him

Roman529 said:

You gotta be kidding. Jacobs is a 4th rounder at best right now and you wanna take him in the 1st???? Wow reach.

Jacobs would be a reach as far as a first round, bout would be right for the second round (ie Drew Bress 2nd round pic put former 2st round value) I am saying this interms of money spent on a QB that is in the 2nd tier, the only bonafide QB are Young and Linerart, not fully sold on Cutler. We would be having a conversation about Jacobs as a reach if he duplicated his stats from last year, the man was injuried this season and his oline didnt perform well compared to last year. But back thte Draft. I said in another post, trading the pic to denver is a darn good idea. The amount of talent in this years draft in the early rounds is unlimited. We need to draft two QB's in this draft say a Cutler (based on what the masses want) i prefer Jacobs and then a player like a Reggie McNeal TA&M, Micheal Robinson PSU, or DJ Shockley UGA in the later rounds (5-7---pics possible acquired through a trade or conditional). Since we have Mularkey now we need that type or WR/QB (Antwan Randle El, Hines Ward type WR who as a third WR or third Qb would add to our offense.

We are returning back to the Dolphins of old (strong Running game with gazelle running WR) Mix of the 70s and the 80s

Now we just have to wait while saban puts all the pieces together

Jacobs needs a solid combine and personal workout to be considered a legit 2nd rounder or even 3rd rounder right now, PERIOD.

Roman529 said:

I'd do that as well, unless Cutler is there at 16. Huff is probably the next guy on my first round list, followed by McNeil. I think this is a good draft to get more picks, though, with all the junior talent.

If we don't get Cutler, I would wait until the 5th to take Meyer or Gradkowski. I think they have more upside than any of the QBs mentioned and the value is much better. Croyle plays scared

adamprez2003 said:
If we don't get Cutler, I would wait until the 5th to take Meyer or Gradkowski. I think they have more upside than any of the QBs mentioned and the value is much better. Croyle plays scared

I have no idea where your writing this from but it's completely off. He's always had a terrible OL and has performed well so how can that be possible. In his Bowl Game he was cool and collected.

if miami doesnt get cutler i say just bring ferrotte back 1 more year at a low rate because i do not like the qb's after leinart,young and cutler.

kitt23 said:
if miami doesnt get cutler i say just bring ferrotte back 1 more year at a low rate because i do not like the qb's after leinart,young and cutler.

So your saying you'd start Cutler right away?

Back
Top Bottom