Sedrick Irvin Might Move to FB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sedrick Irvin Might Move to FB

Originally posted by Muck
The Dolphins apparently are disappointed with the progress of current No. 2 fullback Deon Dyer."

WTH is wrong with Dyer??? I like this guy, probably the meanest guy on our team.....is he looking sorry in camp?? am I missing something here???

May the best man win, that's all I can say.

I've always been a fan of Dyer but he's not indespensible so if Femi (who was in camp last year BTW, for those who didn't know) or this guy Irvin can step up and win the job then more power to them.

Whichever move will bring us that much closer to a championship is the move I expect the coaching staff to make, period.

Originally posted by Ozzy

My my, another SouthRidge High Grad. I'm a heck of a lot older than you, but cheers anyway.

I see Troy all the time, not lately though, since he is in Canada.

I didn't graduate from there though... was there for my first two years 92-94... Then moved to Tampa.

Originally posted by Muck
Dyer is overrated. He's not the blocker he's made out to be. He might bring a little more pop to his blocks than Konrad, but Rob doesn't miss blocks and always blocks the right man. He's always in position. Can't say the same for Deon.

Konrad is twice the FB Dyer is.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Dyer is a bit slow and doesn't get in position - or he'd be considered the best blocking FB in the league (he has that potential). But, Konrad has steadily improved his blocking. I'll take 1800 yards every year when it comes to run blocking.

The key for the other reserves beating out Dyer will be their ability to block. If Irvin or Ayanbadejo can show they can be solid blockers, Norv will want to go with their versatility.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

Couldn't have said it better myself. Dyer is a bit slow and doesn't get in position - or he'd be considered the best blocking FB in the league (he has that potential). But, Konrad has steadily improved his blocking. I'll take 1800 yards every year when it comes to run blocking.

The key for the other reserves beating out Dyer will be their ability to block. If Irvin or Ayanbadejo can show they can be solid blockers, Norv will want to go with their versatility.

Very true. Femi showed a lot last year in August. Lot of us thought he'd stick. He was superb out of the backfield and made a lot of plays. His problem in Baltimore was that he fumbled too much in 2001. And he was a bit small.

It sounds like he put on 5-10 lbs since last summer. So you know he's gearing up for blocking some people..

Sedrick Irvin??!! Oh boy, things are getting boring around here...lol. Can't wait until at least next week when I fly down to Miami and check out Brian Griese at those QB schools.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

I agree but.......I think the backup's ability to play special teams will be even more of a key to see who is the number 2 FB. Dyer's lack of speed hurts him here. I still think he has the best chance but like so many other positions this year there will be serious competition. That's a very good thing!

Konrad and Irvin would be a nice 1 2 punch! I agree MUCK DD is very overrated. I think RK blocking has gotten alot better and his running is fine for a FB! You got to remember he's 260 not 220!!Both he and Irvin can catch the ball very well!

Yup. And he can run. Konrad ran a 4.55 coming out in '99. And he's still only 26. Some think he can't run because he doesn't carry the ball that much. Well, in Gailey and Turner's systems, FBs don't carry it much. Hell, Gailey just used them as blockers (like his TEs). That's why Dyer was drafted.....for Chan.

But what about Obafemi, don't a FB still have to block..I know I saw Konrad do that a lot for Ricky last year and it worked out..and I know we're not talking a change of pace FB now..that would be too much.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's probably what he worked on for the past year. It appears that he's put on 10 lbs since last season. He already had the receiving stuff down.

Dyer very nearly lost his job to Ayanbadejo last year, and apparently showed up overweight this year.

I've always liked Dyer's ferocity, but it doesn't look like he's making much of a home for himself on this team.

Back
Top Bottom