Senior Bowl Review Notes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Review Notes

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Senior Bowl Review Notes

Arrow-Up:

QB Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
- Good game performance. Matt Rhule spoke very highly of his intellect, recall.
QB Mac Jones, Alabama - Voted best QB on his squad in practices.
RB Michael Carter, North Carolina - Good practices and good game performance. Voted best RB on his squad.
RB Rhamondre Stevens, Oklahoma - Route running and pass catching was surprisingly good, professional quality.
TE Kenny Yeboah, Ole Miss - Nice showing in game. On practice tape you could really see his basketball-like qualities.
WR D'Wayne Eskridge, W. Michigan - Virtually un-coverable. Speed, one-cut head & shoulders above.
WR Amari Rodgers, Clemson - Perfect blend for slot. Note 5094 & 211 lbs. measure. Plays to that, but plus speed, quicks.
WR Austin Watkins, UAB - Physical, strongest hands in Mobile. The smooth gait, cutting, easy separation were a revelation.
WR Demetric Felton, UCLA - Big time speed, quickness. Physicality of a former RB. If he learns to cut wasted movement...
WR Dez Fitzpatrick, Louisville - Combo of length (6'2") and quickness. Gets open. Did well in game.
WR Nico Collins, Michigan - Plays big, smooth, athletic, professional. Didn't play in 2020, so this was important.
OL Dillon Radunz, NDSU - Voted best player in Mobile. We knew A+ mobility, but couldn't know strength. Now we do.
OL Quinn Meinerz, UWW - Big splash. Mauled people, but moves, carries 320 lbs. well. Voted best OL on squad.
OL Spencer Brown, UNI - Showed combo 6'8.5" length, 315 lbs. heft, great knee bend, good mobility. Rare.
OL David Moore, Grambling - The power on Grambling tape looks same vs. Top talent. Voted best OL on his squad.
OG Aaron Banks, Notre Dame - Was the best OG in Mobile this week. He might've leapfrogged Trey Smith.
OL Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame - Took snaps everywhere except LT. Always looked in control. Teams love that versatility.
OL Jack Anderson, Texas Tech - Is a Guard but took a ton of snaps at Center, did well. That will bump his stock.
OL D'Ante Smith, East Carolina - Didn't play in 2020. Showed combo length, mobility, strength. Fit in. This helped him.
DE Cam Sample, Tulane - Best pass rusher either squad at 274 lbs. Used at 3-tech, even 1-tech. Voted best DL on squad.
DL Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA - Great frame at 280 lbs., 7'0" wing. Miami used him at 1-tech, all over. Voted best DL on squad.
OLB Daelin Hayes, Notre Dame - Good hands, 2nd most consistent pass rusher in Mobile.
DE Elerson Smith, UNI - Looks like Jason Taylor. Came from FCS and was one of the best. Big impact in game itself.
DE Quincy Roche, Miami - One of few consistent pass rushers Mobile. Stock was heading lower and he stabilized it.
DE Ade Ogundeji, Notre Dame - Ideal length that showed up consistently in practice as tough for OLs to stick to.
DE Janarius Robinson, FSU - Got better as the week wore on, peaking w/ a good game performance. Titanic length.
LB K.J. Britt, Auburn - Was all over the place during the game. Great passion. Voted best LB on his squad.
CB Tre Brown, Oklahoma - Virtually unassailable in coverage drills. Really head & shoulders above.
CB Keith Taylor, Washington - Very good in drills during practice week, and strong game performance.
DS Richie Grant, Central Florida - Forced to play CB and did well. Strong presence, coaches very impressed.
CB Aaron Robinson, Central Florida - Was one of the few CBs who seemed to know what he was doing in drills. Noticeable.
DS Christian Uphoff, Illinois State - Voted best DS on his squad. That's a big deal coming from FCS.
DS Damar Hamlin, Pitt - Coaches seemed to really take note of him. Good combo of length and hips.
CB D.J. Daniel, Georgia - Voted by the WRs as the best CB on his squad over Aaron Robinson, which is notable.

Maintained Standing:

QB Ian Book, Notre Dame
- Voted best QB on his squad in practices, but more by default, IMO. Bad competition
RB Kylin Hill, Mississippi State - Voted best RB on his squad in practices. Not sure there was anything new, though.
TE Tre' McKitty, Georgia - Voted best TE on his squad in practices. Showed some athleticism. But he had standing already.
TE Hunter Long, Boston College - Voted best TE on his squad and showed competency, for what he is.
WR Kadarius Toney, Florida - Voted best WR on his squad in practices. I saw no new pieces to the puzzle.
OL Alex Leatherwood, Alabama - He met high expectations. But I don't think he improved his standing. Radunz was better.
OC Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma - Showed expected strengths, limitations. Played well at OG, but Meinerz out-shone him at OC.
OG Trey Smith, Tennessee - Will still be highly regarded, but honestly didn't kill it during the week. Banks was better.
OT James Hudson, Cincinnati - Showed his athletic package, but started to get beat as week wore on. Missed opportunity.
OC Drake Jackson, Kentucky - Career OC, lots of experience, predictably solid at OC in Mobile. But struggled when moved to OG.
DT Levi Onwuzurike, Washington - Only one day, but still the least blockable DT in Mobile. That's only good enough to hold serve.
DL Carlos Basham, Wake Forest - Forced to move inside more, and did a fair job, but not better than you'd have figured.
DT Marvin Wilson, Florida State - Looked tough to handle at times, but showed nothing new. Seemed an exclusive 1-tech.
DL Chauncey Golston, Wake Forest - Good length, but we already knew that. Moved inside a lot, but was only passing fair.
DL Payton Turner, Indiana - Physically very impressive, but that was a known. Was mostly a 3-tech this week, and only passing fair at that.
DE Rashad Weaver, Pitt - Really up-and-down, forced to play inside a lot, not built for that but he did it. No real new info, tho.
DE William Bradley-King, Baylor - Technically impressive, helped him show out early, but leveled off as OLs caught up to him.
LB Baron Browning, Ohio State - Won at weigh-in, good game, solid practice, but was tried at pass rush, sucked. So nothing new.
LB Tony Fields, West Virginia - Voted by teammates best LB on his squad, but he really lost at the weigh-in. Small, bad length.
LB Hamilcar Rashed, Oregon State - Not allowed to do much in pass rush, which is his specialty. Did alright when allowed, tho.

Last edited:
Awesome notes, much appreciated.

Dillon Radunz has me enamored.

We need a new center though. Bummed to see your Creed Humphrey notes.

Are we going to see TWO North Dakota State Bison in the 1st Round? :eyepop:

I really like Richie Grant and Demar Hamlin for Miami. Grant has the versatility and Hamlin is a solid safety prospect. Radunz has a really good chance at being selected in the 1st round. Very disappointed in Patrick Jones, he didn't show much. After watching most of Pittsburgh's games these last 2 years, I thought he'd show much better.

Every game I’ve watched Mond play I was not impressed with his feel for the game, footwork and throwing motion. Now I have to give it a second look because I’m a whore for athletic project QB’s.

i just hope that Miami doesn't lean too heavily on Senior Bowl prospects. I think that's one of the traps of coaching in the game, and it's probably even more appealing in a draft class

I was thinking about this myself yesterday or sunday. I know it get appealing to be able to work with the guys and fall in love with them. But senior compared to underclassman, I didnt look at all the stats on the guys, but wouldnt you expect a 22-24 year olds body and skills to be more honed in than a 20/21 year olds. I know its huge in the NBA drafts, teams prefering a 19 year old over a 22 year old. But if you see a guy on film, that is 2 years younger, but his skill level is slightly lower..if you have faith in your coaching staff, then shouldnt you get the younger kid. I know if Jackson and Igbo dont develop then that theory looks like horse ****.

is that youre thinking behind it too, or do you think that 1 week of practices shouldnt over ride 4 years of the eye test?

btw nice write up @ckparrothead . figured you would've had a "they ****ed themselves" column too

One thing i will say about this in regards to Creeds notes. I dont think its bad that Quinn out did Creed. I wouldnt take that as a knock on him. from what i read last week, and from CK's post Quinn out did everyone. From all reports though throughout the season, i dont think Creed did anything to improve this year, which is more worrisome than just this week. I was high on getting him last year if he came out, if we drafted him this year i feel like we would just be drafting the aura around the name

I'm glad to see Rhamondre Stevenson getting props. There are a number of runningback combos I would like to see Miami draft, and one of my favorites would be a one-two punch of Etienne and Stevenson.
Steven's reminds of Dillon, who GB took late 2nd round.

Mind you, if I thought his stock took a hit, he wouldn't be in the "Maintained Standing" category.

He'd be down with Patrick Jones, among others, who really sucked.

When you are Creed Humphrey, and you've been one of the best Centers in college football for years, and you go to the Senior Bowl, you're not supposed to get out-shone by a Guard convert from Wisconsin-Whitewater. But he did.

The limitations I spoke of with Humphrey are that teams of the Shanahan ilk who are outside zone zealots, they will not target Humphrey. He can play for anyone else. But those zone zealots will fight each other over Drew Dalman, or maybe even ask Dillon Radunz or James Hudson how they feel about snapping the football.

I'm glad to see Rhamondre Stevenson getting props. There are a number of runningback combos I would like to see Miami draft, and one of my favorites would be a one-two punch of Etienne and Stevenson.

Honestly he fits right in with Najee Harris in terms of the type of player I'd be looking for if I were Miami.

We had demonstrable short yardage issues that only Jordan Howard seemed to be able to ameliorate, except he was practically useless in any other context.

But we also need backs who can work the passing game really well.

Every game I’ve watched Mond play I was not impressed with his feel for the game, footwork and throwing motion. Now I have to give it a second look because I’m a whore for athletic project QB’s.

I've never been a fan. I'll be honest. Never.

But it's a simple fact that some of the throws he makes are ridiculous. And I know people sometimes say that, and then when I look at the throw it's like, yeah whatever, but I really mean it with Mond.

Matt Rhule's effusive praise for his recall and his intellect mattered, to me. He earned the game MVP. He earned it. People were talking about giving it to the players he was throwing the football to, but it was him more than it was them, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom