Shoot Down the SD trade Rivers Rumors | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shoot Down the SD trade Rivers Rumors

Rich22 said:
I couldn't disagree with you more. You pick a QB as your top pick and give him 14 mil guess what - he plays!! Or your GM should be fired! Brees was the QB of a team that played a last place schedule in the worst division in football and won the division - yippee! 5 years and what. Contract year he plays better - big deal. IMO it's more of a reflection on Rivers inability than Brees. IF Brees was so good they would have signed him long term. They didn't - why?? You want to rank their offensive players? It's LT and then Gates and then Brees. That's how good he is. IMO Rivers was a low 1st or early 2nd rd pick until the Senior Bowl and hype shot him up the board. Given that Big Ben was taken a few picks lower I'd say Rivers was taken a bit high. Seeing he didn't even play and will not this year AGAIN is a big WASTE of cap money!! Your saying it's okay to waste a #1 pick in the whole draft and 14 mil for a guy who is just going to sit on the bench is ignorant. :shakeno:

...they are in the AFC, not part of that outstanding product the NFC put out this season

Rich22 said:
Heard on the SD radio this morning that SD can't trade Rivers because it would be a cap killer according to the guy. Said that 14 mil would jump into their cap this year if he is traded before June 1. If they waited it would be 7 mil for this and next year which wouldn't make any sense. They quoted AJ SMith as saying he was untradeable.

Not sure if anyone can confirm but it would make sense since he got a huge bonus. While alot of people are hyping SD I personally think the Rivers pick was very bad although they did rob the Giants of their picks. IF Rivers had the talent they would have traded Brees. When you get the #4 pick in the draft as your QB of the future you give him 1 year to learn at the most. You are paying too much. Having him sit another year just shows how bad a pick that was.

IMO SF takes a QB - not doubt about it. They need one about as bad as any team has ever needed one. Rattay is terrible. I'm also convinced we will trade down. People will want the remaining QB or Edwards.

I would normally agree what you are saying but how can you justify trading brees when lead you to a 12-4 season? I don't care who you drafted or how high, it would not be a good move to do that because you never know how a draft pick will turn out until he plays.

Rich22 said:
I agree rookie QB's sit most of the time - tough position to learn. HOWEVER when you draft a guy #1 in the whole draft basically for SD he better play soon. I don't give a rats what their cap situation is - you don't pay a guy 14 mil and have it hit your cap while he sits not 1 but 2 years. Now that is DUMB. 1st year - makes sense. 2nd year - bad pick. If he has not proved himself enough to be given the keys to the team when you make him the #1 pick in the draft you blew the pick IMO. I'm sorry but Brees is not that good - c'mon.
I agreed with what Lewis did in Cincy. He did exactly what should have been done. You draft a guy that high he is your future. You DON'T sit him for 2 years! You made a commitment when you drafted him that he is your future. If it doesn't work out then IMO it's a bad pick - that is my point.

Your comment about "Players shouldn't play based off of draft position, bonus money, or salary" is the reason the NFL is so much better than the NBA or MLB. When a guy is making big money and he can't even start or isn't playing up to his salary level guess what - he is cut. You have to get value from your players because there is a cap. What you are saying is great in an ideal world or MLB where there is no real cap and the contracts are guaranteed. Sorry but this is the NFL which like they say stands for Not For Long when you don't play up to your contract. AND you can't when you are on the bench. I'm sure alot of teams can afford a 14 mil clipboard holder - hey maybe he can hold for the kicks. What a deal. I'm sure SD couldn't have used Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald or one of the other WR's in the 1st rd. Sean Taylor probably wouldn't have helped them either. Nope you are right - they are better off with a 14 MIL dollar backup - GOOD PICK - my bad!

There's just one BIG problem in all of your logic........Drew Brees was that good!!!

In hindsight, I'm sure the Chargers wish that they had drafted a WR or Taylor or Gallery.......but that's only now that Drew Brees became a Pro Bowl player. At the time......Brees had yet to show anything and they felt they needed a QB. But the situation has changed, they have a PRO BOWL QB!!! It's not an indictment of Rivers that he can't get on the field over a Pro Bowler.

And by your argument, Rivers should just get cut, because that's what happens when a player who makes that much money can't cut it, right?

And....Trent Green was a complete bust of a FA signing by the Rams in 1999 too. Doesn't matter that Warner won an MVP when Green was injured. He when he came back healthy, why couldn't he win the job, only played when Warner got hurt?? And it doesn't matter that they were able to get a 1st round pick from the Chiefs for him. What a BUST!!

Rich22 said:
I agree rookie QB's sit most of the time - tough position to learn. HOWEVER when you draft a guy #1 in the whole draft basically for SD he better play soon. I don't give a rats what their cap situation is - you don't pay a guy 14 mil and have it hit your cap while he sits not 1 but 2 years. Now that is DUMB. 1st year - makes sense. 2nd year - bad pick. If he has not proved himself enough to be given the keys to the team when you make him the #1 pick in the draft you blew the pick IMO. I'm sorry but Brees is not that good - c'mon.
I agreed with what Lewis did in Cincy. He did exactly what should have been done. You draft a guy that high he is your future. You DON'T sit him for 2 years! You made a commitment when you drafted him that he is your future. If it doesn't work out then IMO it's a bad pick - that is my point.

Your comment about "Players shouldn't play based off of draft position, bonus money, or salary" is the reason the NFL is so much better than the NBA or MLB. When a guy is making big money and he can't even start or isn't playing up to his salary level guess what - he is cut. You have to get value from your players because there is a cap. What you are saying is great in an ideal world or MLB where there is no real cap and the contracts are guaranteed. Sorry but this is the NFL which like they say stands for Not For Long when you don't play up to your contract. AND you can't when you are on the bench. I'm sure alot of teams can afford a 14 mil clipboard holder - hey maybe he can hold for the kicks. What a deal. I'm sure SD couldn't have used Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald or one of the other WR's in the 1st rd. Sean Taylor probably wouldn't have helped them either. Nope you are right - they are better off with a 14 MIL dollar backup - GOOD PICK - my bad!

Have you looked at Brees stats from last year ?

65.5 % Comp 3159 yards 27 TD 7 INT 104.8 Rating

Those are great numbers. Now whether you think Brees is really that good or not doesn't matter, those are great numbers.

You are assuming that the Charger knew ahead of time that Brees would have that kind of year. They did not. If they had any idea that he would perform like that, they wouldn't have drafted Rivers.

Brees had a career year and it's worth it for the Chargers to give him another year and see if it's legit or not.

Rivers didn't play because of how good Brees played, not how poorly Rivers played. Can Rivers be good ? I don't know, but neither do you.

sn9ke.eyes said:
Have you looked at Brees stats from last year ?

65.5 % Comp 3159 yards 27 TD 7 INT 104.8 Rating

Those are great numbers. Now whether you think Brees is really that good or not doesn't matter, those are great numbers.

You are assuming that the Charger knew ahead of time that Brees would have that kind of year. They did not. If they had any idea that he would perform like that, they wouldn't have drafted Rivers.

Brees had a career year and it's worth it for the Chargers to give him another year and see if it's legit or not.

Rivers didn't play because of how good Brees played, not how poorly Rivers played. Can Rivers be good ? I don't know, but neither do you.

First off - to say Brees had a career year is on itself not saying much since he sucked until this past year.
Your last comment that neither of us know how good Rivers can be is true. So why do you say Rivers didn't play because of how bad he played. Do you know that? Did a coach tell you that coming out of camp? He must not have been good enough - right?

Did you know Brad Johnson has almost a 62% comp % for his career? Means squat! The guy throws to LT and Gates - short high percentage passes - he better have great stats. Let's see what happens this year when teams actually game plan for defending the pass a little instead of only worrying about LT.

I agree with you the Chargers drafted Rivers because Brees had sucked in the past and they didn't know he would play well this past year. However my point to this whole mess of a thread was that the fact is they picked Rivers #1 and with that should have brought a franchise QB ready to take over by year 2. I don't give a rats behind who was the starting QB and if they won the SB - you invest that high pick and those dollars into a guy he BETTER start and if he doesn't it's a bad pick. Am I smoking crack here? Give me a break all you Rivers supporters. If he sits all of year 2 that would be so embarrassing after the Leaf pick.

:yell: I need a Beer......

AJ Smith has repeatedly said that in no way does he plan on trading Phillip Rivers and i for one believe him.

Rich22 said:
First off - to say Brees had a career year is on itself not saying much since he sucked until this past year.
Your last comment that neither of us know how good Rivers can be is true. So why do you say Rivers didn't play because of how bad he played. Do you know that? Did a coach tell you that coming out of camp? He must not have been good enough - right?

Did you know Brad Johnson has almost a 62% comp % for his career? Means squat! The guy throws to LT and Gates - short high percentage passes - he better have great stats. Let's see what happens this year when teams actually game plan for defending the pass a little instead of only worrying about LT.

I agree with you the Chargers drafted Rivers because Brees had sucked in the past and they didn't know he would play well this past year. However my point to this whole mess of a thread was that the fact is they picked Rivers #1 and with that should have brought a franchise QB ready to take over by year 2. I don't give a rats behind who was the starting QB and if they won the SB - you invest that high pick and those dollars into a guy he BETTER start and if he doesn't it's a bad pick. Am I smoking crack here? Give me a break all you Rivers supporters. If he sits all of year 2 that would be so embarrassing after the Leaf pick.

:yell: I need a Beer......

Key word you used is should. Yeah, the #4 pick should be taking over by year 2, but the world isn't always perfect. McNair didn't take over until year 3.

I agree with you that it sucks to pay the guy a $14 mil bonus and then not find out what he has. That is embarrissing but who cares about embarrassment if you are winning ?

What I'm trying to say is the year Brees had threw all the best plans of the Chargers out the window. They never acquired Rivers with the intention of him sitting 2 years. Stuff happens. Like a 27/7 TD/INT ratio.

So say we draft Rodgers or Smith this year with the intention of them starting year 2. Then AJ/Gus/Sage lights it up for a 27 TD 7 INT ratio and we make the playoffs. We'd be in the same position as SD in that we would have to give that guy another year at the helm before letting a rookie play.

Back
Top Bottom