Should Chris Grier Have Gotten Fired Too? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Chris Grier Have Gotten Fired Too?

Should Ross have fired Chris Grier, too?

• Yes

Votes: 47 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 34 29.3%
  • Will there be cake?

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whose going to come in and make us a contender if he were fired?

Last edited:
Grier has produced some decent drafts recently...and like others said none of us know how things went...Gase had full control of the 53 man roster meaning the GM just did contracts and maybe the draft...

I think there is a reason why you keep a guy around after you clean house. Perhaps Grier was in Ross's ear about Gase and he didn't listen. Could be that Grier wanted to do things a certain way but Mike T and Gase overruled him. We don't know the whole story.

From the reports, this is the reason he is still there.

I can’t think of any recent coaches that have succeeded long term with absolute power, at least no one without the initials of BB.

As far as firing Grier, I have no idea what moves were forced on him by gase, and what players he wanted to keep vs get rid of etc that tannebaum paid or didn’t pay. Maybe Grier kept tidy records of every move he made or wanted to make to build this roster and made notes when he was given friction. That being the case... it’s quite possible he’s going to be a great gm with absolute roster power.

Brian Billick? ;)

I'm curious how much if any Input on all of this Marino has given to Ross. I'm sure at the very least Ross has been picking his brain.

We'll see. Let's see who they hire, what the staff is like, and what happens over the next two off-seasons. I'll give him that. Two off-seasons + the right hire at HC. By that point there better be a franchise QB on the roster and a building block of a supporting cast on both sides of the field.

Hope. Give us that or peace out.

Basically, what most others are saying...

There's only one person who knows where Grier stood on certain decisions made/not made by the organization. I'm sure Ross took that into account when deciding who he was going to keep around. I have a hard time believing Ross, having the benefit of hindsight, would have chosen to keep Grier as opposed to cleaning house if Grier was the main proponent of drafting Harris, drafting Gesicki, not drafting a QB, all the bad decisions with older FA's, etc. If that was the case, he'd likely be gone as well.

Definitely not, Tunsil, X, Drake and Fitzpatrick are four of our five best players. If this team had drafts like we have had the last three years over the last decade we would be a playoff regular. I’ve really excited to see what he does in the expanded role. Hopefully it means no more getting screwed by lousy contracts too.

Tough to say. In a vacuum, you want to look at it from the perspective that Grier has had a hand in drafting some solid players. The issue for me is that it potentially perpetuates the same dynamic that has existed in the front office for the entirety of Ross' ownership so far, where he trusts someone and kind of latches onto them. He did it with Ireland, whom he kept when he fired Sparano. Then he seemed to sway to Philbin and canned Ireland.

The concern is that, should things not head in a positive direction within a couple years, Ross will dump Grier and keep the HC they hire this offseason, which will just keep the "half measure" cycle going. Sometimes it is best to just clean house all at once, but I think Ross likes to have one "football guy" around at all times to guide him through decisions. I guess that's better than him relying on guys like Matt Higgins for everything, but the way he keeps doing things presents its own set of problems.

^^^I think this best sums up my feelings on the situation. From the outside looking in, my natural inclination is to say all parties involved in our mediocrity should be getting the boot, but I went with "not sure" because I really don't have enough insight to make a fully informed opinion. My biggest concern is exactly what LOLPhins said, which is that Grier manages to be another in a long line of holdovers. I respect that he has tenure with the organization, it just so happens that that tenure has occurred over some of our all time worst seasons. So, I guess time will tell.

One other thing not mentioned, loyalty should count for something.

In a day and age where everyone is a hired gun and out for themselves, Grier actually worked his way up in this organization, and hasnt jumped ship for every minor promotion he could have gotten elsewhere. He has been here almost 19 years.

Would you rather have a hired gun, who doesnt give a **** about the Fins, come in here to "fix" us? Or a guy that obviously cares about this organization?

I'm behind Grier all the way, unless he gives us enough reason to believe he should have been fired.

Back
Top Bottom