Should Fins Switch Back to a 3-4 Defense? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Fins Switch Back to a 3-4 Defense?

I support this. But it won't happen. You're also miscasting a number of those guys as people have mentioned, Vernon and Wake definitely aren't 3-4 ends. In fact, I'm not quite sure that Vernon even fits in a 3-4 and he in this hypothetical situation could be a trade chip. You'd probably retain Soliai to have NT locked down, start him with Odrick and probably Shelby. I'd draft Rashade Hageman to man the other DE spot and rotate with Shelby. Then Misi would get kicked inside and play next to Ellerbe who would likely be the biggest beneficiary of the switch. Wake and Dion would start on the outside, backed up by Wheeler and Vernon if he is kept.

Shelby/Hageman-Soliai-Odrick
Jordan-Misi-Ellerbe-Wake

to me this only works if they get both solia and starks resigned. wake and vernon would be the outside backers with jordan and vernon would still be in the same rotation and ellerbee would be the middle with kisi and wheeler in a rotation at the other backer spot. as much as guys like jordan and vernon fir a 3-4 the rest fit a 4-3

Regardless of scheme, what we need are athletic fanatical killers on defense.

Regardless of scheme, what we need are athletic fanatical killers on defense.

True, but I think that the scheme/playcalling also has a lot to do with it. Miami does need "killers"; the current players seem to have forgotten how to tackle. Watching Seattle's defense, I saw defenders swarm to the ball, whether it was a RB breaking through the line or a receiver going across the middle. Tackles were made almost immediately, if not sooner. Miami's defense is nothing like that... they constantly get lost and are out of position, and miss tackles when they do have the chance. When an opponent can convert a 3rd and 20 by running the ball, your defense screwed up somewhere. When it's done numerous times by different opponents, then your players and coaches suck.

True, but I think that the scheme/playcalling also has a lot to do with it. Miami does need "killers"; the current players seem to have forgotten how to tackle. Watching Seattle's defense, I saw defenders swarm to the ball, whether it was a RB breaking through the line or a receiver going across the middle. Tackles were made almost immediately, if not sooner. Miami's defense is nothing like that... they constantly get lost and are out of position, and miss tackles when they do have the chance. When an opponent can convert a 3rd and 20 by running the ball, your defense screwed up somewhere. When it's done numerous times by different opponents, then your players and coaches suck.

You're right about their tackling that's for sure. Those cats hit hard, hit from above the knees to the shoulders, square off and wrap up. It seems like Seattle is the only team in the league focusing on fundamentals.

Back
Top Bottom