Should we draft a QB in the first round next year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should we draft a QB in the first round next year?

030913_0208lg-1.jpg

IMO if we can't get a top QB, then OL should be the priority! A good OL will make an avg QB look great, IE (Dallas before the line started crumbling, Maddox, Hell Anthony Wright).

We need a kickass LT in the first. If one isn't available then do everything possible to sign one, standing pat is out of the question!

I'm going to agree with a previous post that IMO Wally is most likely gone, but we should end up with a 1st and 3rd or maybe even two first for him based on his performance this year. Take the picks and start building.

Trade the 2nd first for more picks and start filling the needs:

NEEDS:

1. OL
2. QB
3. DT
4. LB
5. CB
6. S
7. WR

I know some will bash having WR ranked so low, but IMO we have the talent we just don't have anyone who can get them the ball. Newsom, Simmons, Tulver, Chambers will be fine.

We also need to keep an eye out for kick & punt returners.

VERNON CAREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHANNON SNELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would we draft a QB, until we fix our Protection problems, we will only ruin who ever plays that position for us, if we can run the ball and protect the QB anybody can play QB for us, check out Anthony Wright in Baltimore, he even looks good. OL is the only must improve position, if don't all else is in vain, OL is the most important part of the offensive you can't run if you get hit after the handoff and you can't pass when your lying on your back. it all starts upfront and they weren't kidding when they said that.

Boone,

You've got to lose that clip in the signature.

I'm losing hours in a trance over here.

My head is starting move with the A$$.

Somebody help me!!

She's got talent.

:help:

Okay, that's it.

I'm leaving for some private time.

Originally posted by Graythreat

if your dilluded enough to think that Fiedler played good enough to match ANY of those QB's (who btw I noticed you didn't take the time to look up their names) play when they went to the superbowl, more power to 'ya. I'll stick with drafting for the FUTURE. Sorry, but 3 years down the road when Jay's knee gives out AGAIN, i want a legitimate QB to step up in his place. Heaven forbid we have a youngin behind center that can at least attempt to live up to marino.

OR we could draft a WR when we have one of the hottest young WR"s in the league, and a posession WR opposite him, and STILL have no QB to throw to him.

Good gameplan buddy.

If you are DELUDED enough to think I don't know who I was describing, I'm not even sure why I'm answering you. To vindicate myself:

Brad Johson
Rich Gannon
Kurt Warner
Tom Brady
Trent Dilfer

I didn't even mention Kerry Collins. He also washed out with the team that drafted him high only to make a Super Bowl appearance with a different team.

Who the hell mentioned Jay? While I support him for this year and will support him if he is the best guy on the roster when next year rolls around, I have been all for bringing in a veteran like Brunell. Blaming Jay for playing the best he can is wretched behavior -- any blame for Jay's performance should be heaped upon Wanny and the rest of the think tank making the football decisions for the Dolphins. Jay is just a guy who guts it out to win any game he can. If he needs to be a backup, we need to blame the guys who couldn't bring in anybody better than Lucas and Griese, not the guy who outplayed them.

The whole point of listing all these QBs is that a young QB will not win the Super Bowl next year. Next year is all about reloading, not going into a rebuilding mode. It's a time to pick up a guy at the strongest position in the draft or to handle the most pressing need (OL). Worry about a highly touted QB in the 2005 or 2006 draft if you must...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by philyphin
Why would we draft a QB, until we fix our Protection problems, we will only ruin who ever plays that position for us, if we can run the ball and protect the QB anybody can play QB for us, check out Anthony Wright in Baltimore, he even looks good. OL is the only must improve position, if don't all else is in vain, OL is the most important part of the offensive you can't run if you get hit after the handoff and you can't pass when your lying on your back. it all starts upfront and they weren't kidding when they said that.

:up:

Originally posted by Jimmy James

If you are DELUDED enough to think I don't know who I was describing, I'm not even sure why I'm answering you. To vindicate myself:

Brad Johson
Rich Gannon
Kurt Warner
Tom Brady
Trent Dilfer

I didn't even mention Kerry Collins. He also washed out with the team that drafted him high only to make a Super Bowl appearance with a different team.

Who the hell mentioned Jay? While I support him for this year and will support him if he is the best guy on the roster when next year rolls around, I have been all for bringing in a veteran like Brunell. Blaming Jay for playing the best he can is wretched behavior -- any blame for Jay's performance should be heaped upon Wanny and the rest of the think tank making the football decisions for the Dolphins. Jay is just a guy who guts it out to win any game he can. If he needs to be a backup, we need to blame the guys who couldn't bring in anybody better than Lucas and Griese, not the guy who outplayed them.

The whole point of listing all these QBs is that a young QB will not win the Super Bowl next year. Next year is all about reloading, not going into a rebuilding mode. It's a time to pick up a guy at the strongest position in the draft or to handle the most pressing need (OL). Worry about a highly touted QB in the 2005 or 2006 draft if you must...

Want a diagram? Because you obviously don't get the point of drafting a QB. Not only did we neglect to get ahold of a QB when we saw marino was going retire, we REFUSED to draft a QB to groom WHEN he retired, much less when Jay took over, and we had NO backup. We NEED a QB. We can't keep signing crusty old guys! And to get a GOOD QB, you have to draft one high.

Originally posted by Graythreat

Want a diagram? Because you obviously don't get the point of drafting a QB. Not only did we neglect to get ahold of a QB when we saw marino was going retire, we REFUSED to draft a QB to groom WHEN he retired, much less when Jay took over, and we had NO backup. We NEED a QB. We can't keep signing crusty old guys! And to get a GOOD QB, you have to draft one high.

Its awfully egocentric to assume we "dont get the point" when we simply have a differentiating opinion. It is my OPINION that drafting a QB would be rebuilding and eliminating the ability to win today. Many have proven in the past you dont need mcnair, bledsoe or manning to win a SB. By the way those three QBs have how many rings? The players listed in the above message did it with moderate talent and good D support. That is the model we are trying to replicate. Having said that any draft pick used on a QB would cost multiple picks in the draft. It would mean that the new o ilne that is needed to keep the QBs head on his shoulders would need to come VIA free agency. Same is true for a #2 receiver. No, I think the answer is draft either a WR in the first round or trade down to get two or three quality o linemen.
As for the mistake made prior to Marino retirement, I agree they should have been ready and drafting behind Danny. Oh well too late now.
Most importantly we may disagree about how the phins may get to the promissed land but we all agree thats the goal. Unified we stand.:bandwagon

Let's make the list of playoff teams if things ended today. I'll put your first rounders picked by the team they're playing for in italics and the QBs that are examples of my strategy in bold:

New England -- Tom Brady
Kansas City -- Trent Green
Indianapolis -- Peyton Manning
Baltimore -- Anthony Wright
Tennessee -- Steve McNair
Denver -- Jake Plummer

Philadelphia -- Donovan McNabb
St. Louis -- Marc Bulger
Minnesota -- Daunte Culpepper
Carolina -- Jake Delhomme
Dallas -- Quincy Carter
Seahawks -- Matt Hasselbeck

Five out of twelve QBs who would be playing in the postseason are high draft picks of the teams they play for. Those aren't good numbers if you ask me. Add in the rebuilding mode that a 1st round QB connotes, and I think even you might finally get an inkling why I'm opposed to such a plan...

Edit to note: I'd love to see those of you who are pushing this "only way to get a decent QB" logic say what you're saying to Brett Favre. :D

Second edit to correct my mistake listing Cincy in the playoffs instead of the Ravens...

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to get rid of Greise, sign Brunell and trade are draft pick to KC for an offensive line man, i mean there line is so stacked. They are in need of deffensive people, so we could give them someone like Madison or Fletcher if we decide to keep are pick. I agre a super qb dosnt win ball games the defence and offensive line does...We need help!!!!!!!

Actually I would prefer an OL guy in the 1st round, and a wideout in the 3rd. As for quarterback a guy I like is Bradlee Van Pelt from Colorado St. Most experts believe that he will still be availble on day 2 of the draft.

Back
Top Bottom