Should wins be attributed to QB's only? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should wins be attributed to QB's only?

uncle_joe

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Whenever a QB is mentioned, his won/loss record is inevitably brought up as a measure of his worth. However, can victories truly be attributed only to the QB? Quarterbacks like Jay Fiedler and Trent Dilfer, even Tom Brady seem to have accumulated impressive records(if just for a season or two, in Dilfer's case) w/ good, even great defenses carrying the load.

Baltimore compiled a great record in 2000 and Dilfer ended up winning a good amount of consecutive games, forget the exact number. Of course, Baltimore had a terrible offense and a ridiculously good defense.

I mean, the ONLY plus of Fiedler's Miami career is his W/L record but he has never produced a solid offense, all the while mooching off of a great defense. Should W/L records really be counted for individuals?

Well he carried the O in 2001 which was an 11-5 season.

Honestly, I'd like to see an upgrade and keep him as the backup.

Fiedler would be an awesome backup for us.

Originally posted by Dolfan984
Well he carried the O in 2001 which was an 11-5 season.

Honestly, I'd like to see an upgrade and keep him as the backup.

Fiedler would be an awesome backup for us.
he has never carried us the defense always has.and yes fiedler would be a great back up that is all.in 01 lamar smith had his best year as a pro.

Originally posted by tenndolfan4ever
he has never carried us the defense always has.and yes fiedler would be a great back up that is all.in 01 lamar smith had his best year as a pro.

lamar smith never had back to back 100 yard games...

Jay did carry us with the defense in 2001, he had 23 total Tds that year, and just like Monday (Where Ricky and Minor scored Tds) Jay got them into position for the running game to score. That's how we've always played offense, even now.

A QB can rarely win the game on his own, Marino, Favre, Young, & Peyton are a few that have won their share of games with everything relying on them but a QB can definitely lose the game. There have been good QBs in the past on crappy teams that didn't win very many games, Archie Manning is the perfect example.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

lamar smith never had back to back 100 yard games...
i did not say he did i said 2001 was his best year ala 200 yards in the wildcard win over indy.

Originally posted by tenndolfan4ever
i did not say he did i said 2001 was his best year ala 200 yards in the wildcard win over indy.

ok thats fine.. he should. JF shoulder was hanging from his socket 1/2 of the season...

Knocking Jay Fiedler's W/L record is wrong. If you're going to do that, you have to knock Kurt Warner's record because he was pretty clearly a product of the system. You have to try to find a way to discount Peyton Manning's record because he had Harrison and either a healthy Faulk, Edge or Rhodes who tore it up in his own right for every year except 2002. You have to inflate a guy like Jake Plummer or Akili Smith's win record because it's clear that they both had crap around them most of the time in Arizona/Cincinatti.

Every QB has to contend with the team around him and do what he can to get the wins. Is it wrong to put the burden on them? Maybe. It is just as wrong to put the burden on pitchers in baseball or goalies in hockey, but it is still done. QBs are the only players to touch the ball almost half of the game. They're stereotypically the leader of the team. It's just how it is.

Originally posted by uncle_joe
Whenever a QB is mentioned, his won/loss record is inevitably brought up as a measure of his worth. However, can victories truly be attributed only to the QB? Quarterbacks like Jay Fiedler and Trent Dilfer, even Tom Brady seem to have accumulated impressive records(if just for a season or two, in Dilfer's case) w/ good, even great defenses carrying the load.

Baltimore compiled a great record in 2000 and Dilfer ended up winning a good amount of consecutive games, forget the exact number. Of course, Baltimore had a terrible offense and a ridiculously good defense.

I mean, the ONLY plus of Fiedler's Miami career is his W/L record but he has never produced a solid offense, all the while mooching off of a great defense. Should W/L records really be counted for individuals?

No, the NFL should do it the "maroonic" Miami way and give credit of wins to the defense, coaches, WRs, RBs, water boys, stadium announcers etc and tag only the losses on a QB's resume.

Winning and losing is a team factor. The Fiedler Huggers slap him on the back and brag about his record. The Fiedler Haters blame him for losses. The fact is that he is one of several players who is just not good enough. On both sides of the ball we are missing some talent in key areas. TYhe O LIne may be the worst in the league and the #2 WRs couldn't play for a Jr College team.

There is plenty of blame, but Jay gets his too. He and Wanny can hold hands as they walk off into the sunset together this offseason.

I say we should stop crediting MLB pitchers with win/loss records too. Especially in the American League. They don't even bat. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
I say we should stop crediting MLB pitchers with win/loss records too. Especially in the American League. They don't even bat. :rolleyes:

there's no real comparison between mlb pitchers and nfl qbs in terms of w/l records.

Originally posted by Jimmy James
Knocking Jay Fiedler's W/L record is wrong. If you're going to do that, you have to knock Kurt Warner's record because he was pretty clearly a product of the system. You have to try to find a way to discount Peyton Manning's record because he had Harrison and either a healthy Faulk, Edge or Rhodes who tore it up in his own right for every year except 2002. You have to inflate a guy like Jake Plummer or Akili Smith's win record because it's clear that they both had crap around them most of the time in Arizona/Cincinatti.

Every QB has to contend with the team around him and do what he can to get the wins. Is it wrong to put the burden on them? Maybe. It is just as wrong to put the burden on pitchers in baseball or goalies in hockey, but it is still done. QBs are the only players to touch the ball almost half of the game. They're stereotypically the leader of the team. It's just how it is.

I will definatly knock Warners win loss record he had the best oline and faulk and a 3rd reciever named az hakim. Not to mention his first two options. And mannig had had considerable less help over the years. And harrison is only as good as he is cause of manning. Holt and Bruce are good no matter the QB Trent Green Tony Banks Warner Bulger all have put up big number with the team.

jay did carry us in 2001...the dolphins had 5 fourth quarter come-from-behind victories that year. and yes, i would feel very comfortable with jay as our backup.

Back
Top Bottom