Should've traded Madison | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should've traded Madison

Who will start at CB along with Pat Surtain?

• Sam Madison

Votes: 57 89.1%
  • Reggie Howard

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
Let's see if he can answer the bell this season, I'm betting yes

He better be answering the bell for the next three years. Right now we have $10 million tied up in signing bonus for Madison. So trading him this year would cost an additional $5.3 million over his $5 million cap charge now. He still has:

3 years left on the $9.5 million original bonus of 2000.

4 years left on the $2.25 million restructure of 2001.

4 years left on the $4.7 million bonus of the 2004 restructure.

touborg said:
What was that about ?

Pat. Surtain's wife lobbied in the media for her husbands’ election to the Pro Bowl.

...and as far as I remember she said - Quote:

"He should make the Probowl for his skills - not just because of his name - like some else (Sam Madison) on the roster"
Correct me if I re-call it wrong with the quote portion; it's been a while ago that was a hot topic.

Never the less, it apparently aggravated Madison.

Danny said:
He's not as good as he once was but he's still better than most corner in the NFL. I'm glad we kept him at least for now.

Ozzy rules!!

Ding Ding Ding! we have a winner.

Hey, Madison was not the reason that Brown was wide open down the middle against the Pats in OT last year, Marion was. I saw many times where Madison was chasing a guy down, that was not his coverage, but the safeties or the slot coverage guys responsibility. Look a little closer at last year and you will see that yes, while Sam was not quite as good as in past years, our safeties and nickel/dime package was a definite liability last year. Marion had a bad year, Fletcher was horrible, and Tbuck is still a liablilty in the slot. We have shored that up with Howard and Edwards/Freeman. I still feel that Tbuck will be back, but will probably be the dime guy which is less of a liablity for us than him being the nickel and with Madison moving to the slot on the nickel and dime packages, we'll be in much better shape.

Madison is still one of the best corners in the NFL right now. I think the only reason Madison didn't go to the pro bowl this year was becasue everyone was throwing the ball to Surtain's side. It is well known that Surtain is sometimes overly aggressive and draws more flags and that is why he gets more balls thrown his way. The more balls that are thrown at him the more chances he has for passes defended and interceptions. I think it speaks volumes that Madison doesn't get the ball thrown at him more, maybe they should look at that come pro bowl ballot time IMO.

Muck said:
"Liability in coverage"??

Are you serious??

Yes. I'm tired of hearing the excuses about "Oh, people throw at Madison so much because they don't throw at Surtain." Sam Madison is by far the most overrated player on the Miami Dolphins.

Just watch any game, Madison really struggles when he has to cover a fast wide receiver one on one.

I'm not the only one who's unhappy with Madison. Dolphins coaches were very unhappy with Madison when he blamed other defensive backs for blown coverages. Of course every defensive back is going to get beat, but Madison has become a target and the worst part is he tries to blame others for his mistakes.

LarryFinFan said:
Hey, Madison was not the reason that Brown was wide open down the middle against the Pats in OT last year, Marion was. I saw many times where Madison was chasing a guy down, that was not his coverage, but the safeties or the slot coverage guys responsibility. Look a little closer at last year and you will see that yes, while Sam was not quite as good as in past years, our safeties and nickel/dime package was a definite liability last year. Marion had a bad year, Fletcher was horrible, and Tbuck is still a liablilty in the slot. We have shored that up with Howard and Edwards/Freeman. I still feel that Tbuck will be back, but will probably be the dime guy which is less of a liablity for us than him being the nickel and with Madison moving to the slot on the nickel and dime packages, we'll be in much better shape.

I agree that Marion was also a liability in coverage last year. But I'm not sure that the Freeman/Edwards combo has shored that up. Freeman has the athletic ability to play free safety, but I don't think he has the instincts or natural feel for the position. If Antuan Edwards can stay healthy for a whole season, he could be an improvement. But even Edwards was seen as a Jamar Fletcher type in Green Bay that never lived up to his potential.

Madison's still one of the better corners in the league. The thing that REALLY ticks me off are all the personal fouls he gets....which seems like every other game. That said, most of us agree he wasn't worth 8mill / year so I'm glad he took a paycut.

As for the triple combo of Surtain, Madison & Howard. DW has already say that when against a 3 receiver formation, Surtain will take the slot/3rd rcvr and Madison/Howard will play outside CB.

touborg said:
What was that about ?
She lobbied for Surtain to make the pro bowl a couple of years ago and Madison didn't make it although he had the better season. Not by much though...

I know a lot of people were disapointed in Madison last year, but he is a lot better than Howard. There is no way that Howard will even come close to getting a starting spot, he just isn't as good as Madison or Surtain.

Madison is still plenty good. Every corner gets beat. But he gets beat less than most but more than he use to.

I am glad he is still here. He can go when we clean out all the old guys on defense in another year or so.

If Sam wasn't at one point in his career one of the elite 1 or 2 players playing corner, people would LOVE the guy right now. He didn't stay at the elite level he created for himself, but I'll be damned if he would start on just about ANY team in the NFL.

All this talk about him being a liability is hilarious. Put a smile on my face, thanks. Ignorance truely is BLISS!

Pope Shula XIV said:
Yes. I'm tired of hearing the excuses about "Oh, people throw at Madison so much because they don't throw at Surtain." Sam Madison is by far the most overrated player on the Miami Dolphins.

Just watch any game, Madison really struggles when he has to cover a fast wide receiver one on one.

I'm not the only one who's unhappy with Madison. Dolphins coaches were very unhappy with Madison when he blamed other defensive backs for blown coverages. Of course every defensive back is going to get beat, but Madison has become a target and the worst part is he tries to blame others for his mistakes.

Sorry but I never herd him blame anyone. Not hearsay, but actual quotes.

And it is a fact that they ran mostly a Cover Two, with man outside coverage, which leaves the MLB (or the nickle) to cover the middle, and the Safeties for the outside. There are times when the Corner is supposed to slide off his man, and leave his man to the Safety, then there are times he can get beat, which as you stated, happens to even the best, and then the Safety is still responsible DEEP. And Marion, or Freeman were responsible for a good portion of the breakdowns. Even the coach said this!

Yes Sam may have lost a step but he is still by far a top ten Corner. IMO

Back
Top Bottom