Since It's Slow........ | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Since It's Slow........

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm going to pull out the what if's very early. What if Ogunleye puts in a 10 sack season again. Do we:

A) Put the 1st/3rd tag on him and keep him for one more year before losing him to FA
B) Put the 1st tag on him and see if someone bites on him to give us a 1st rounder for him.
C) Blow our cap on him and say goodbye to FA next year.

Personally I find B intriguing. Having 2 1st rounders would definately give us a shot at taking that young franchise LT or to really stir some crap up......getting rid of Jay and Brian and letting Sage and a 1st rounder fight it out (Could see the commotion that would cause lol). At the very least it would be the first time in a really long long time that phin fans would have an excuse to watch the draft :lol:

B and if noone bites then we move on to C. Are we even going to have enough cap room for free agency next year?

I would go for A, and not lose him at all.. he is young and athletic.. or b..

Originally posted by The Slacker
B and if noone bites then we move on to C. Are we even going to have enough cap room for free agency next year?

Of course. Although 2004 will be the year where we will be having some turnover at some positions as there are quite a few players with ballon payments that will never happen (Fielder, Griese, Marion, Bowens) and some of the older vets with higher cap numbers will be ditched (Perry, Ruddy). Our only real FA though is Wade and all these guys that we have to make decisions on are really mid tiered players where the ground work has already kinda been put in place to have options.

Anyways not turning this into one of clumped's weekly cap jail threads that he will be doing annually till the day he dies.

I honestly don't think C is an option as I think we will want to sign Wade if we can. Plus we have enough talent along the defensive line and if David Bowens can step up a bit it will make it easier. Plus having 2 1st rounders would open up so many options and give some flexibility about who we try to keep and who we let go.

B looks great. I'm sure a team would pick him up because he's young and good. Even if the Phins kept him, we win. Zgonia will push the middle more then Timbo and offenses will have to pay more attention to the middle then they have in the past. This only bids better for our DE's. It would be awesome if he got at least 10 sacks. Either way the Phins win

It's amazing... we take a flyer on him in the draft, and then pay him to sit on his butt for a couple years. Then he flashes a little talent in ONE solid year, shows a little of the reason we drafted him, and then holds out. Now, we're going to be faced with either paying him a bunch or (possibly) picking up a draft pick for him.

No one ever says, "You know coach, I really haven't had a sack in a few games, and my production has gone down... why don't I take a salary cut until I can get back in the swing of things."

No one ever says, "I had an off year. Let's put me back at the vet minimum."

And I think Ogunleye is somewhat alone in this, since many Dolphins players have shown a commitment to the team... but it's frustrating when players go for the green without remembering the team that got them where they are (see: 50% of free agency). Miami took a little hit to keep him on the sidelines, and now he has one good year and wants us to break the bank...

I loved seeing Wale come on early last season, and would love to see him do more, of course. But I don't see anyone giving up their #1 for him even if he gets 12 sacks this season. IF he got 15 sacks, we MIGHT get a pick between 25 and 32 for him, but I still doubt it.

Am I wrong about this??

Originally posted by Phan4Ever
I loved seeing Wale come on early last season, and would love to see him do more, of course. But I don't see anyone giving up their #1 for him even if he gets 12 sacks this season. IF he got 15 sacks, we MIGHT get a pick between 25 and 32 for him, but I still doubt it.

Am I wrong about this??

Very :)

There was one team that was seriously thinking of paying a $8 million plus bonus plus the 1st round tender to that one restricted DE but he resigned with his own team I believe. Young sackers (especially one who can hold his own vs the run like Ogun) are valuable. So I could see a team with 2 1st rounders or a mid to late 1st rounder taking a flyer on it.

I could see teams trying just because they know we won't even attempt to extend him.

Last time we had 2 number 1 picks

Year 1992

1A. Troy Vincent CB Wisconsin

1B. Marco Coleman DE/LB Georgia Tech

Not a bad crop....too bad we lost both of them in FA.

Originally posted by Bazinet37
Clumped, I'm dissapointed. That remains to be seen? Even D2K2 could have come up with that assessment......

WTF is that suppose to mean?

Back
Top Bottom