Since It's Slow........ | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Since It's Slow........

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Very :)

There was one team that was seriously thinking of paying a $8 million plus bonus plus the 1st round tender to that one restricted DE but he resigned with his own team I believe. Young sackers (especially one who can hold his own vs the run like Ogun) are valuable. So I could see a team with 2 1st rounders or a mid to late 1st rounder taking a flyer on it.

I could see teams trying just because they know we won't even attempt to extend him.

You are referring to KGB from the Packers. The Eagles were the team that was considering giving him an offer sheet. If you are comparing Ogunleye to KGB.......that's a HUGE stretch. KGB can create on his own.....I doubt that Ogunleye has......he beneifts from having Jason Taylor opposite him.

Originally posted by infiltrateib
It's amazing... we take a flyer on him in the draft, and then pay him to sit on his butt for a couple years. Then he flashes a little talent in ONE solid year, shows a little of the reason we drafted him, and then holds out. Now, we're going to be faced with either paying him a bunch or (possibly) picking up a draft pick for him.

No one ever says, "You know coach, I really haven't had a sack in a few games, and my production has gone down... why don't I take a salary cut until I can get back in the swing of things."

No one ever says, "I had an off year. Let's put me back at the vet minimum."

And I think Ogunleye is somewhat alone in this, since many Dolphins players have shown a commitment to the team... but it's frustrating when players go for the green without remembering the team that got them where they are (see: 50% of free agency). Miami took a little hit to keep him on the sidelines, and now he has one good year and wants us to break the bank...

Why should he, or any other player for that matter, "take one for the team?" They weren't doing anything for him personally by letting him rehab on the sidelines, they saw the kind of potential he had and they took a risk. Ultimately, the risk appears to have paid off but make no mistake about it, there was no altruism involved here, there was no charity on the behalf of the 'Fins, and I can guarantee that nobody on the 'Fins believes that Ogun shouldn't get paid because, if they were in his same situation, they'd want to get paid too.

As much as some of you guys want this to be- or, perhaps, think it is- high school, rah-rah football it's not; it's a business, the 'Fins are the empolyer and the players are the employees. If you were in the same situation- a young player with a lot of talent and an opportunity to make some serious money would you be sitting there saying, "Well gee, I'm just so damn happy to be here that I'm gonna get paid well below market value for my services so the millionairs at the top of the heap can keep a few extra bones? You absolutely would not! You'd do everything within your power to pull that big paycheck and set yourself up for the future.

I'm constantly amazed by the fact that working adults who certainly would never "take one for the team" on behalf of their companies would be so pompous as to assume others should do it just because they're working doing something we all love. Again, put yourselves in their (the players) shoes for a minute and if you tell me you wouldn't take the paycheck (assuming you're a young player who hasn't amassed a fortune like Seau) over the supposed loyalty.

BTW, how much loyalty do you think the team's going to show you down the road? Why not ask Derrick Rogers or Randall Godfrey about "taking one for the team" and the loyalty later shown to them by that same team, enough said....sit there.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

You are referring to KGB from the Packers. The Eagles were the team that was considering giving him an offer sheet. If you are comparing Ogunleye to KGB.......that's a HUGE stretch. KGB can create on his own.....I doubt that Ogunleye has......he beneifts from having Jason Taylor opposite him.

KGB's also worthless against the run whereas Ogun has proven he's a pretty solid run stopper. If Ogun posts another good year he'll garner a large paycheck on the open market.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

Yup that's the guy. I just can't say his name let alone spell it :lol:
If Ogun puts up 10 sacks again I could see teams taking a chance on him because A) He can start and play against the run (KGB plays mostly pass downs) B) We aren't going to sign him to a big contract as we got our money wrapped up in J.T. so teams won't even have to give KGB type money. Of course the big question for a team is whether he can do it on his own. However there are teams out there that like their DE's and there should be one that would take the risk. Just have to wait and see how much of an influence Snyder has in whether raiding restricteds picks up or not.

Originally posted by Expo88

Why should he, or any other player for that matter, "take one for the team?" They weren't doing anything for him personally by letting him rehab on the sidelines, they saw the kind of potential he had and they took a risk. Ultimately, the risk appears to have paid off but make no mistake about it, there was no altruism involved here, there was no charity on the behalf of the 'Fins, and I can guarantee that nobody on the 'Fins believes that Ogun shouldn't get paid because, if they were in his same situation, they'd want to get paid too.

As much as some of you guys want this to be- or, perhaps, think it is- high school, rah-rah football it's not; it's a business, the 'Fins are the empolyer and the players are the employees. If you were in the same situation- a young player with a lot of talent and an opportunity to make some serious money would you be sitting there saying, "Well gee, I'm just so damn happy to be here that I'm gonna get paid well below market value for my services so the millionairs at the top of the heap can keep a few extra bones? You absolutely would not! You'd do everything within your power to pull that big paycheck and set yourself up for the future.

I'm constantly amazed by the fact that working adults who certainly would never "take one for the team" on behalf of their companies would be so pompous as to assume others should do it just because they're working doing something we all love. Again, put yourselves in their (the players) shoes for a minute and if you tell me you wouldn't take the paycheck (assuming you're a young player who hasn't amassed a fortune like Seau) over the supposed loyalty.

BTW, how much loyalty do you think the team's going to show you down the road? Why not ask Derrick Rogers or Randall Godfrey about "taking one for the team" and the loyalty later shown to them by that same team, enough said....sit there.

Expo.... with all due respect... lets be realistic here.
Working adults in the real world are ALWAYS taking one for the team without having a choice in the matter. The idea that players should be paid based on what they ACTUALLY produce
isn't a pompous idea. It is how employees in real jobs get paid.
If you don't produce you get a pay cut or get fired. Sports are FULL of premodonas now. There is no standard for which they have to justify the money they make. THAT is completely rediculous. It is the people who run the system that have to step in and make those changes however and not the players. So in that aspect I can agree with you that if the system stays the same, I would jump on it as a player as well.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Expo.... with all due respect... lets be realistic here.
Working adults in the real world are ALWAYS taking one for the team without having a choice in the matter. The idea that players should be paid based on what they ACTUALLY produce
isn't a pompous idea. It is how employees in real jobs get paid.
If you don't produce you get a pay cut or get fired. Sports are FULL of premodonas now. There is no standard for which they have to justify the money they make. THAT is completely rediculous. It is the people who run the system that have to step in and make those changes however and not the players. So in that aspect I can agree with you that if the system stays the same, I would jump on it as a player as well.

You're quite right, working adults are always "taking one for the team" (perhaps taking one in the can is more like it :lol: ) but most of us don't have a choice in that regard, if we did, most of us would chose to hose the team and go for the bucks. Granted, going for the money isn't always the wisest long term decision but the system is what it is and loyalty is practically a four letter word in today's corporate environment so you kinda' have to take the opportunities as they arise.

Unfortunately the system (in both corporate America and the NFL) is not going to change any time in the forseeable future. I understand the ideal of wanting a player to "do the right thing" but that stems more from our love of the team and our love of the game and not from the side of us (most of us at least) that realizes given the same opportunity we'd be jumping at the coin as well.

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit jumbled right now, I'm quite tired and am in need of some sleep unfortunately, I didn't turn the drier on when I put the sheets in so they're still wet and my wife hates the other set of sheets so here I sit, responding to posts when I should be sleeping. :o

:lol:

There will always be a team like the redskins that will look at a players age and stats and give up there 1st round guy for someone who "should" continue to get better.

Back
Top Bottom