'Slap in the face' | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'Slap in the face'

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb injected a race element into his rift with Terrell Owens on Wednesday, saying the receiver's criticism amounted to "black-on-black crime."
In an interview with ESPN, McNabb rehashed some of the low moments of his relationship with his teammate, making fun of Owens' driveway apology and bringing up the race angle.
In November, responding to a question from Michael Irvin during an ESPN interview, Owens said Philadelphia would likely be in a better situation if Brett Favre was the quarterback instead of the banged-up McNabb.

"It was like, it's unreal," McNabb said. "That's like me going out and saying, 'Hey, if we had Steve Largent. If we had Joe Jurevicius. It was definitely a slap in the face to me. It was a slap in the face because, as deep as people want to go into it, it was black-on-black crime."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/02/01/bc.fbn.mcnabb.owensfeud.ap/index.html

Philadelphia would likely be in a better situation if Brett Favre was the quarterback instead of the banged-up McNabb.

"It was like, it's unreal," McNabb said. "That's like me going out and saying, 'Hey, if we had Steve Largent. If we had Joe Jurevicius. It was definitely a slap in the face to me. It was a slap in the face because, as deep as people want to go into it, it was black-on-black crime."

I dont think thats dumb I think it makes perfect sense

I was impressed with Mcnabb yesterday he was all over t.v on NFL shows, and he really knows the game better than the damn guys who are paid to analyze

Alex22 said:

I was impressed with Mcnabb yesterday he was all over t.v on NFL shows, and he really knows the game better than the damn guys who are paid to analyze

no its dumb. basically hes saying, because Michael Irvin chose i white dude, that its disrespectful and a slap in the face. now if it would of been a black guy, ohh he would of been fine with it. all McNabb sees now is race, while irvan and owens never even thought about the fact that Favre was white.

Alex22 said:

How does that make perfect sense........Irvin (oh my god....am I really going to back Micheal Irvin!?!?!) ignored race when making his statement....and McNabb is insulted by that??? I view McNabb's comments as racist. It is a 'slap in the face' to be compared to a white guy??? As an NFL QB, you would rather be compared to Byron Leftwitch than Brett Favre because Leftwitch is black???????????

Plus, as I stated above, it wasn't even T.O. that brought Favre up (F***, now I'm defending T.O.!?!?!), it was Irvin....so why is that 'black-on-black' crime by T.O.?

McNabb has proven himself a world-class jackass on this one. It's a shame to, because right up until these statements, I thought he handled this whole situation with a lot of class.

It probably shouldnt have been in Mcnabbs best interest to play the race card.On the other hand I can see why he was hurt by the comment.Leave it to Irvin to make the stupid comment anyways.I mean how can you say "put Favre on the Eagles and they become a championship team" without stepping on any toes?Everybody knows Owens and Irvin are boys,and then of course Owens stupidly plays right into the medias hands by saying he agreed.I admire McNabb for finally sticking up for himself,but playing the race card was wrong.

I was thinking that the Rush Limbaugh thing was the last time he was attacked verbally, that was considered racist and might be why he said that this one was black on black.

edit; that would put a completly different slant on his comments... and would remove most of the "he's throwing the race card" anger.

cnc66 said:
I was thinking that the Rush Limbaugh thing was the last time he was attacked verbally, that was considered racist and might be why he said that this one was black on black.

edit; that would put a completly different slant on his comments... and would remove most of the "he's throwing the race card" anger.

thats not how it was though. he also brought up race when talkin replacement. saying how brett favre was white, and it would be the same him saying, well if we had joe jerivious(dont care)

mcnabb lost my respect
clear.gif

Nappy Roots said:
thats not how it was though. he also brought up race when talkin replacement. saying how brett favre was white, and it would be the same him saying, well if we had joe jerivious(dont care)

mcnabb lost my respect
clear.gif

Mcnabb actually never said because they were white

The interviewer said 'Now those are two guys of a totally different race'

Mcnabb said yes, and this is a black on black crime, and it just throws out everything I have worked for and tried to accomplish, or something to this effect

He then went on about the comment of his selling out his race because he doesnt run the ball as much anymore

Nappy Roots said:

mcnabb lost my respect
clear.gif

see, that's what I get for not watching all of it. Thanks for helpin' Nappy.

Alex22 said:

Mcnabb said yes, and this is a black on black crime, and it just throws out everything I have worked for and tried to accomplish, or something to this effect

He then went on about the comment of his selling out his race because he doesnt run the ball as much anymore

a different race yes. meaning not black, then picking 2 white players. get over

Alex22 said:

Mcnabb did say it was a slap in the face and then went on to ask the interviewer "what if I said if we had Steve Largent or Joe Jurevicious on our team instead of TO on the team we would go to the SB?" insinuating the race card.He was hurt by the whole Favre comment.

Nappy Roots said:
a different race yes. meaning not black, then picking 2 white players. get over

I know that

My point is it wasnt a scumbag thing of him to do or say, he was just making a point on how he felt about the situation

Alex22 said:
I know that

My point is it wasnt a scumbag thing of him to do or say, he was just making a point on how he felt about the situation

point is how he did it. if he would of said, it was a slap in the face because im the leader of this team, ive been here every day since the start, ive been to war with these guys...but no he said he was a slap in the face because of the QBs race that was chosen to be better.

clear.gif

Back
Top Bottom