Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

Two things I want to see first:

1. How he does versus La Tech in the CUSA Championship and then the Peach Bowl (if they award it to Marshall, which they should)
2. How he does during the week of All Star practices and in the game

He's a genuinely good senior QB prospect. In my opinion he's the best senior in this class.

Probably the biggest weakness to him is his size combined with his scrambling tendencies, which would lead us to believe he could get murdered in the NFL a la Pat White. But on that point I think it's relevant that he has never missed a college game, not a single one not even the three games for which he was benched as a true freshman, and I have also never heard of him missing time in high school due to injury.

On film, he's the anti-Robert Griffin when it comes to taking unnecessary contact. His physical awareness and elusiveness is easily on par with Russell Wilson or Johnny Manziel, and he is even more contact-averse than Wilson. He consciously gives up yardage (depending on the situation) by diving to the ground or running out of bounds. The only exceptions are situational, which means converting on third downs and getting into the end zone. And even in those cases, he's got exceptional body control and so he's uncanny at getting low and/or making himself small in order to minimize the impact of hits.

He's not worried about looking "tough". My guess is this is because he's always been too skinny even going back to high school. He was a true freshman at Marshall playing FBS football and leading the team to a bowl win at 150 pounds. He's never had the luxury of pretending that he could be a tough guy when it comes to taking contact he could've avoided.

All of this is why he's stayed so remarkably healthy despite being too thin and too small at every level.

The other big criticism is that when you get him into an interview setting, he comes off like a kid that was born and raised in Liberty City. There's a cultural divide. Get him talking about football and suddenly there is translation, but there are people that will insinuate that he's dumb. To that I would point to the fact that Bill Legg essentially has Rakeem Cato doing all of the play-calling on the field. Every play he calls has a run component, a pass component, and a Rakeem component, and the receivers run their routes no matter what. I don't know that a dumb player can essentially be the play-caller on the field and lead the most successful offense in all of FBS football.

But that criticism is what we'll start to learn more about in an All Star setting because he'll be in someone else's system trying to run things their way and communicate their way and we'll just have to see how he handles that.

Really depressing to watch how little help Cody Fajardo gets on the field. Guys can't run their routes, can't even make the most obvious adjustments. Can't catch the football. Sometimes they don't even look for the damn ball like they think they're just a straight up decoy. They fumble the ball. Line doesn't really protect him.

He's got to do everything there and it's just really sad to see a guy with some real skills drowning like that.

Good to get Brandon Doughty up on this list. Recenly started to watch him and he's very good. Much better than some of the guys that are commonly being touted.

Brandon Doughty and Rakeem Cato might be the top guys in this senior class after all, as I think Carden's lack of arm strength is starting to show and Fajardo's situation at Nevada is just too volatile to get a great evaluation on him.

Actually now I'm hearing that Brandon Doughty got his sixth year of eligibility, so no draft for him this year.

Outside of Winston, Mariota, Hundley, and Petty is there a quarterback worth drafting?

I really don't know. Digging into Carden, Bridge, Fajardo, Bennett, and Cato now.

Rakeem Cato just measured in at 5'11", 171 pounds. There's not many of those starting in the NFL, so he has that going for him.

He's been as high as 193 but I think he loses weight during the season.

Weight gain really isn't THAT difficult. I'm not sure why everyone pretends it is. Two-thirds of the damn country is overweight.

They'll be able to project what he will weigh in the pros under a pro strength and conditioning program with a nutritionist when they get him at the Combine, and I would imagine it's in the 190 range. Russell Wilson is 200 to 205.

Cato has also (predictably) risen to the top of the pack at the NFLPA practices and Bill Polian and Greg McElroy have been pretty effusive about him.

I would never be able to come up with Colorado-St. Pueblo film unless I was working in an NFL Front Office.

I live about a half hour north of where CSU-Pueblo plays football. They won their Division II Championship. I don't know much about their QB, (I have been to two Thunderwolves games) but they have a really solid 3-4 OLB named named Darius Allen, who was the Div. II Defensive Player of the Year. He could be a nice sleeper pick in the late rounds, or UDFA. Highlights....he wears #3 :

[video]http://www.hudl.com/athlete/537957/highlights/109721375/v2[/video]

I love Fajardo's mobility. He flies down the field on those read options when they forget about him. He is not the tallest QB, but neither is Drew Brees.

[video=youtube;wh3pbsoJX2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3pbsoJX2s[/video]

Rakeem Cato just measured in at 5'11", 171 pounds. There's not many of those starting in the NFL, so he has that going for him.

Ouch. I thought he was around 6'2 or 6'3.

He can not play in the NFL at 5'11 and that featherweight.

CSU-Pueblo has a QB named Chris Bonner who is close to 6'7" and has a very strong arm. He might be worth bringing in as an UDFA. He has potential but needs to bulk up. He didn't get invited to the Combine so he is just trying to get a look from someone.

CSU-Pueblo has a QB named Chris Bonner who is close to 6'7" and has a very strong arm. He might be worth bringing in as an UDFA. He has potential but needs to bulk up. He didn't get invited to the Combine so he is just trying to get a look from someone.

I have seen a lot of articles putting him in the top 5 or 6 QBs in the draft. He can throw it that is for sure.

ive been banging the drums for carden for years as a future dolphin qb. i thought at one point it would take a 3rd but now it looks like itd be a 5th. cardens decision making cost them a loss, their coaching cost them 2 more elsewhise they'd prob ended season in top 25. catos competition was a lot easier. also it seems to me that the good weathered team of ecu faltered late when having to play up north, carden included. maybe hes a nice weather qb currently. he has toughness as a runner especially near goalline, and can see the field. hopefully his delivery can be fixed, the air raid offense is not much different than the spread of the nfl which we run for the most part. we have tannehill for long term, moore for one more year, i think carden would stand out exceptionally in preseason against the lower level opponents he would play as he would develop into taking moores job next season, prob outplay freeman. i really wanted to get his stud wr justin hardy too, but with the signing of greg jennings that'd be another player with landrys skill sets

Back
Top Bottom