Slimm's 2016 Linebackers (Underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2016 Linebackers (Underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score

** indicates RS sophomore

Inside Linebackers:

1. Addison Gillam / Colorado / 6'2", 227 (Colorado's best defensive player)

2. Skai Moore / South Carolina / 6'1", 220

1472231.JPG

3. Brooks Ellis / Arkansas / 6'1", 237

4. Tanner Vallejo / Boise St. / 6'0", 226

[video=youtube;H7Ba7JyFuso]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Ba7JyFuso[/video]

5. Christian Tago / San Jose St. / 6'0", 237

6. Nyeem Wartman / Penn St. / 6'0", 243

7. Dominique Alexander / Oklahoma / 6'0", 229

8. Richie Brown / Mississippi St. / 6'1", 235 (Knows how to be in the right place at the right time)

9. Reuben Foster / Alabama / 6'1", 240 (#1 ILB in the country coming out of high school. One of the best special teams players and most devastating hitters I've seen in college football. Still learning Saban's defense....will get his shot to contribute more on defense in '15. Had a bad habit of leading with his head on those 90 mph bone jarring hits, which caused him some neck problems. This kid plays kamikaze style. This is what kick returners must face....)

[video=youtube;P-59rov_vQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-59rov_vQM[/video]

[video=youtube;6JPDVUl3qnY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JPDVUl3qnY[/video]

9. Tim Kimbrough / Georgia / 6'0", 229

10. Zach Cunningham / Vanderbilt / 6'3", 234 (I have a little story about this kid. We played Pinson Valley in the 2nd round of the 5A state playoffs when we went undefeated and won it all in 2011. We almost lost that year in the playoffs at Pinson Valley. Cunningham was a terror. He sacked us on 4th down on what would've been the game ending play to seal a 2 point victory for Pinson....except he got a piece of our quarterback's facemask. It gave us one more chance....and we hit 'em with a huge pass play down the sidelines for about 40 yards....putting us in FG range with only seconds remaining. We had the best kicker in the state, and that includes the scholarship kickers at Alabama and Auburn. He drilled it. We walked out of there with a 22-21 win. Pinson had more talent on the field than we did...on both sides of the ball, including a kid at WR (Earnest Robinson) that committed to Auburn. Cunningham was the 3rd best player I saw on film in the playoffs that year....behind Jameis Winston and Darius Philon)

Outside Linebackers:

1. Jaylon Smith / Notre Dame / 6'2", 235

2. Scooby Wright / Arizona / 6'1", 246 (Already in consideration for best defensive player to ever play at Arizona)

3. Myles Jack / UCLA / 6'1", 232 ('Runningbacker' will move inside and play more 'MIKE' in '15)

4. Leonard Floyd / Georgia / 6'3", 240

5. Nick Vigil / Utah St. / 6'1", 232 (Another 'Runningbacker'. Kid is a special player. Reminds me of Keith Brooking coming out of Georgia Tech)

6. Darron Lee** / Ohio St. / 6'2", 235

7. Steve Longa / Rutgers / 6'1", 225 (Can also play inside. Outstanding player. Hustle)

8. Vince Biegel / Wisconsin / 6'3", 244

9. Calvin Munson / San Diego St. / 6'1", 235

10097816.jpeg

10. Stephen Weatherly / Vanderbilt / 6'4", 250 (Broke out last year in Vandy's new 3-4 defense. Developing into one of the best defensive players in the SEC)

11. Salamo Fiso / Arizona St. / 6'1", 236

12. Peter Kalambayi / Stanford / 6'2", 245

13. Yannick Ngakoue / Maryland / 6'2", 250

14. Jonathan Walton / South Carolina / 6'1", 228 (Extremely physical linebacker had a dominating performance last year against Miami in the Independence Bowl)

15. Jalen Reeves-Mabin / Tennessee / 6'1", 225

16. Deon Hollins / UCLA / 6'1", 225 (Myles Jack gets all the hype, but Hollins is UCLA's best blitzing linebacker and pass rusher)

17. Keith Kelsey / Louisville / 6'1", 236

18. Benequez Brown / Mississippi St. / 6'1", 235 (Another Bama kid that I watched in high school at Florence. Saban and Kirby Smart tried to recruit him to Tuscaloosa. He's the brains of Mississippi St.'s defense...as I alluded to last year)

19. Ryan Anderson / Alabama / 6'2", 258

20. Tim Williams / Alabama / 6'3", 235 (Flashed a lot of potential last year as a pass rusher in a reserve role....continued that this spring. Will remind you some of Leonard Floyd at UGA)

21. Torrodney Prevot / Oregon / 6'2", 222

22. Jabari Griffin / USC / 6'2", 240

23. Ben Gedeon / Michigan / 6'2", 241

24. Marquel Lee / Wake Forest / 6'2", 235

25. P.J. Davis / Georgia Tech / 6'1", 220

26. Ben Weaver / Boise St. / 6'0", 231

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that would make me feel better about missing the playoffs yet again...Scooby Wright in a Dolphins uniform.

Interested why you view him as an OLB? Seems like a pure MLB to me.

Scooby Wright is fun to watch but he is going to have trouble holding a high draft value through next April due to his athletic limitations. That's just the reality of today's NFL, which is not the same NFL as when Zach Thomas played.

Scooby Wright is fun to watch but he is going to have trouble holding a high draft value through next April due to his athletic limitations. That's just the reality of today's NFL, which is not the same NFL as when Zach Thomas played.

At the end of the day, true football players still hold value. Can't teach those instincts, some guys can just flat out play. Hopefully he gets overlooked and we make the playoffs AND grab him.

I'm just saying the Dolphins don't necessarily need to miss the playoffs to get Scooby Wright. I would be surprised if he ended up a high or mid-1st round pick.

I would be surprised if he ended up a high or mid-1st round pick.

Absolutely. The NFL is going to value the lengthy, extremely athletic pass rusher Leonard Floyd out of this group. He's very similar to Mingo coming out of LSU in terms of raw speed and talent as a light-in-the-pants pass rusher that struggles to produce consistently. That's the only thing that bothers me about Floyd. Although it didn't stop Mingo from going #6 overall.

If Floyd can produce consistently in '15, he'll be at the top of this list. It's the flashes of sheer athleticism and rare ability that has always kept him as a top prospect to me. There's just too much there to work with.

Absolutely. The NFL is going to value the lengthy, extremely athletic pass rusher Leonard Floyd out of this group. He's very similar to Mingo coming out of LSU in terms of raw speed and talent as a light-in-the-pants pass rusher that struggles to produce consistently. That's the only thing that bothers me about Floyd. Although it didn't stop Mingo from going #6 overall.

If Floyd can produce consistently in '15, he'll be at the top of this list. It's the flashes of sheer athleticism and rare ability that has always kept him as a top prospect to me. There's just too much there to work with.

A true MIKE is at the top of my wishlist tho, and that's what Scooby Wright is looking like to me.

They could also develop quite a liking for Myles Jack. He's not lengthy but he notches some things they're looking for.

Hey CK where might I might possibly look at your evaluation of this years draft class for the phins? Thanks

They could also develop quite a liking for Myles Jack. He's not lengthy but he notches some things they're looking for.

Well sure, he can run, hit, and cover.... the 3 main boxes a LB can check. However, it's his versatility that really makes him standout to me. He can play inside or outside, and he's very similar athletically and in playing style to C.J. Mosley.

Myles Jack carries a grade very similar to C.J. Mosley at this same point in their careers for me. Jack could play his way into a top 20 pick this year the same way Mosley did.

Every time Scooby Wright makes a big play they call it a Scooby Snack. Awesome.

love Scooby. that's my man crush for next year. I think he can play mike

Gotta say the linebackers for a 4-3 defense look better for 2016. If that's still a weak spot for Miami after this season the team could have some nice players to choose from. I really like Myles Jack and Jaylen Smith from Notre Dame.

I saw Daniel Jeremiah compared Jaylon Smith to Patrick Willis.. I personally don't see it. I would take Scooby, Jack, Lee, and Ragland over him. He's a good player but he's a long ways away from Patrick Willis.

Back
Top Bottom