Slimm's 2016 Linebackers (Underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2016 Linebackers (Underclassman)

I saw Daniel Jeremiah compared Jaylon Smith to Patrick Willis.. I personally don't see it. I would take Scooby, Jack, Lee, and Ragland over him. He's a good player but he's a long ways away from Patrick Willis.

A few things to really look at when trying to determine a good linebacker from a great one is range, areas of the field he can defend, versatility, and physicality. I want physical linebackers.

Some linebackers are explosive hitters, some are just solid wrap up tacklers that do it the way they're coached. Very few are both. Willis was both.

A good linebacker plays from tackle to tackle. A great linebacker plays from sideline to sideline, while still being physical in the box. Working through traffic and finding the football. Willis was both.

A good linebacker can cover a certain area within reasonable distance of the LOS. A great one will carry backs and receivers deep downfield in coverage. Again, Willis was both.

I vividly remember watching a one-armed Patrick Willis dominate in the SEC every week during his Junior year, playing with a huge cast on his hand nearly the size of the football. He had the toughess and grit that few play the game with. Combine all that with 4.4 speed in a 6'1", 240 pounder that can jump nearly 40" and you have yourself a mighty good prospect.

I get the comparison Jeremiah is trying to make in regards to Willis. When you watch Jaylon Smith, you see all of this on film. He was only a sophomore. Can still get so much better.... to the point where he begins to dominate games defensively the way Willis began to do his Junior year. Right now he just misses a few more tackles than Willis did. Once he gets that cleaned up, he's legitimately an elite prospect. Nobody knows if he'll be as good as Patrick Willis. That's a high standard to meet. But Jaylon Smith is the real deal in my opinion.

A few things to really look at when trying to determine a good linebacker from a great one is range, areas of the field he can defend, versatility, and physicality. I want physical linebackers.

Some linebackers are explosive hitters, some are just solid wrap up tacklers that do it the way they're coached. Very few are both. Willis was both.

A good linebacker plays from tackle to tackle. A great linebacker plays from sideline to sideline, while still being physical in the box. Working through traffic and finding the football. Willis was both.

A good linebacker can cover a certain area within reasonable distance of the LOS. A great one will carry backs and receivers deep downfield in coverage. Again, Willis was both.

I vividly remember watching a one-armed Patrick Willis dominate in the SEC every week during his Junior year, playing with a huge cast on his hand nearly the size of the football. He had the toughess and grit that few play the game with. Combine all that with 4.4 speed in a 6'1", 240 pounder that can jump nearly 40" and you have yourself a mighty good prospect.

I get the comparison Jeremiah is trying to make in regards to Willis. When you watch Jaylon Smith, you see all of this on film. He was only a sophomore. Can still get so much better.... to the point where he begins to dominate games defensively the way Willis began to do his Junior year. Right now he just misses a few more tackles than Willis did. Once he gets that cleaned up, he's legitimately an elite prospect. Nobody knows if he'll be as good as Patrick Willis. That's a high standard to meet. But Jaylon Smith is the real deal in my opinion.

I decided to re-evaluate Jaylon Smith. That was a good idea. The first go-around I saw a "pretty good" LB. This time around I saw a "really good" LB. Not sure why I missed the mark there, but I'd rather get that out of the way in June than in April. My guess would be not giving enough weight to his physical talent, which you did a very nice job of summarizing. His play speed also seemed faster this time around.

If the top underclassmen enter the draft, this should be the best group of SULB's we've seen in a while. The gap between the 2015 and 2016 LB's looks huge.

Right now my top 5:

1. Jaylon Smith
2A. Myles Jack
2B. Darron Lee
4. Scooby Wright III
5. Reggie Ragland

Curious about Riley Bullough from Michigan State. Doesn't seem like there's much tape of him yet, but I wish I could take another look at him vs. Oregon.

Cam Smith coming out party.

I watched that kid play in HS for 3 years here in NorCal. He's really good. It'll be a few years until he's draft eligible though.

I really like Darron Lee's potential. There's a growing trend in developing smaller linebackers that can cover. He can certainly do that, as well as rush the passer.

What do you guys think about alen Reeves-Maybin. I was watching the Tennessee/Bama game Saturday and the kid seems legit to me. Also what are your feelings about this new hybrid type linebacker/safety mix? Is the new wave will all these speedy seem TEs or a fad? Seems like Bucannon's play in Arizona makes this position seem legit to me as well.

Skai Moore impresses me every time I watch him. I'm looking forward to spending some more time on him, but in a stacked class, he might be my favorite MLB prospect.

Skai Moore impresses me every time I watch him. I'm looking forward to spending some more time on him, but in a stacked class, he might be my favorite MLB prospect.

He'd be my second preference for MLB after Beckwith, so far with limited viewing. He's very narrow for a mike though and you do see him slip off tackles. Huge potential though, esp if he adds bulk and keeps his athleticism.

We've got soo many holes but Jaylon Smith in a Dolphins Uni would be great.

He'd be my second preference for MLB after Beckwith, so far with limited viewing. He's very narrow for a mike though and you do see him slip off tackles. Huge potential though, esp if he adds bulk and keeps his athleticism.

Just read that Moore is returning to school. Too bad, but it was probably a good decision for him. If he can enter the draft around 235 and maintain his athleticism, he should improve his stock.

Back
Top Bottom