Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Derwin James / Florida St. / 6'2", 215 [#10 overall]

2. Justin Reid / Stanford / 6'0", 207 [#37 overall]

3. DeShon Elliott / Texas / 6'1", 210 [#65 overall]

4. Ronnie Harrison / Alabama / 6'2", 207 [#104 overall]

5. Jordan Whitehead / Pittsburgh / 5'10", 198 [#124 overall]

6. Jesse Bates** / Wake Forest / 6'1", 200 [#127 overall]

Crazy stat: in 2015, Andrew Wingard and Marcus Epps accounted for 30% of all Wyoming solo tackles. Overall, I'm liking this Safety group - UC and Seniors.

James is an incredible talent, but he has to show improvement in pass D. He likely will. Jordan Whitehead is nasty (better than Budda Baker imo), and Ronnie Harrison can do just about everything. Chase Hansen and Mike Edwards are also good all-around Safeties, but Harrison looks to have a different ceiling than those two.

Ronnie Harrison has so much physical talent. He also does well when they move him to dime backer. He's going to be an outstanding NFL S/S

Fitzpatrick or Derwin? For me I'm taking Fitzpatrick's ability to play all 5 positions in the secondary, and at an extremely high level. Quite honest, I'm not even sure what his best position is. It might be nickel.

Ronnie Harrison has so much physical talent. He also does well when they move him to dime backer. He's going to be an outstanding NFL S/S

Weakness is man coverage. It wasn't even close if you try to match him up in single coverage vs. Evan Engram. He knows Saban's defense and he's good at utilizing the pattern match concepts instead of just standing there covering green grass in zone. He usually makes the tackle quickly when a receiver enters his zone.

Fitzpatrick or Derwin? For me I'm taking Fitzpatrick's ability to play all 5 positions in the secondary, and at an extremely high level. Quite honest, I'm not even sure what his best position is. It might be nickel.

I'll take Derwin at safety. Minkah prefers to play CB as opposed to safety.

I love Mike Edwards and Jermaine Whitehead. Justin Reid and DeShon Elliott really upped their games this year, and they're both making a ton of plays. For teams looking for Safeties who can cover, I like those four a lot. After a very strong 2017 Safety class, it's nice to see that 2018 should also be good - if a rung lower than 2017.

You guys mention Mike Edwards a lot but as I'm watching Kentucky play the entire secondary has my attention.

Darius West, Chris Westry, Kendall Randolph, Eli Brown...this is some impressive stuff.

Eli Brown is obviously light for a linebacker but he covers the way you want a light-ish linebacker to cover.

Darius West is the guy that has my attention the most at the moment. But I will definitely want to see how Chris Westry and Kendall Randolph test and measure.

I'll take Derwin at safety. Minkah prefers to play CB as opposed to safety.
Took another look at that Bama-FSU game and seems like Derwin more an in box safety type- Minkah seemed to have more coverage responsibility- may be the better ball hawk safety. Both top 10 picks.
Would this be fair statement?:
Minkah more MalikHooker type
Derwin more Jamal Adams type

Took another look at that Bama-FSU game and seems like Derwin more an in box safety type- Minkah seemed to have more coverage responsibility- may be the better ball hawk safety. Both top 10 picks.
Would this be fair statement?:
Minkah more MalikHooker type
Derwin more Jamal Adams type
Should also add Minkah is better in run support than I thought. He's a special player. Perfect fit for Miami

Minkah and Derwin are both two of the most versatile DB's to ever come out.

Minkah's position and responsibility changes depending on what package we're in. He does it all....boundary CB, field CB, slot CB. Deep safety, in the box safety. Blitz, cover, tackle. Although I didn't really like the way Minkah matched up with Auden Tate one-on-one at the goaline. Thought he was a little overmatched there.

Derwin is literally just as versatile, only bigger. Difference is, FSU's defensive coaches weren't really creative enough to take advantage of it. Nor were they forced to because of injuries the way Bama's staff was the past two years.

Furthermore, Derwin still didn't look all the way back healthy this season.

Tell you what though....there's another kid in FSU's secondary by the name of A.J. Westbrook that displayed the most range of any safety I've scouted all year on several plays. I couldn't hardly believe what I was seeing on some of 'em. He's a good one too.

Thanks Slimm.
Here is my hope:
Rosen Darnold Mayfield Allen Barkley
Oklahoma Tackle, Sutton, & maybe a Ridley or Nelson jump up...
Leaves us one of:
Chubb -James - Fitzpatrick.

I love Mike Edwards and Jermaine Whitehead. Justin Reid and DeShon Elliott really upped their games this year, and they're both making a ton of plays. For teams looking for Safeties who can cover, I like those four a lot. After a very strong 2017 Safety class, it's nice to see that 2018 should also be good - if a rung lower than 2017.
I absolutely love DeShon Elliott...beast

I absolutely love DeShon Elliott...beast
We are having interesting discussion in other forum- if we figure 3 QBs and Barkley go before us, who is your top 7 picks for Miami--
We are at definite Chubb - Derwin - Minkah.
Others debated but no consensus:
Orlando Brown
Nelson
R Smith
Will check out Elliot tape. (Was not impressed by Malik Jefferson)

If your asking who the picks might be before Miami’s pick 11th ...I’ll take a stab at it in no particular order
1. Rosen
2. Darnold
3. Barkley
4. Chubb
5. Fitzpatrick
6. Nelson
7. McGlinchey
8. J.Allen
9. R Smith
10. B Mayfield
A lot of guys can shoot up or down after the combine. Look at what it did for Hassan Reddick went from a day 2 pick to mid first round. I think the linebacker from Virginia tech will rise way up.

Back
Top Bottom