Slimm's 2018 Safeties (Underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Safeties (Underclassman)

Would Elliott be a reach at 11?

If elite physical traits is an important parameter for you I think he would be. Best ballhawking safety in the draft though. If he runs well he might be in play.

I would like to get a true fs and put McDonald into more of a dime backer role. I think they want that too to be honest.

I would like to get a true fs and put McDonald into more of a dime backer role. I think they want that too to be honest.

Elliott, Reid might be there in the second. Whitehead sure will be but I would be a lot less excited about him.

Minkah and Derwin are both two of the most versatile DB's to ever come out.

Minkah's position and responsibility changes depending on what package we're in. He does it all....boundary CB, field CB, slot CB. Deep safety, in the box safety. Blitz, cover, tackle. Although I didn't really like the way Minkah matched up with Auden Tate one-on-one at the goaline. Thought he was a little overmatched there.

Derwin is literally just as versatile, only bigger. Difference is, FSU's defensive coaches weren't really creative enough to take advantage of it. Nor were they forced to because of injuries the way Bama's staff was the past two years.

Furthermore, Derwin still didn't look all the way back healthy this season.

Tell you what though....there's another kid in FSU's secondary by the name of A.J. Westbrook that displayed the most range of any safety I've scouted all year on several plays. I couldn't hardly believe what I was seeing on some of 'em. He's a good one too.

I came across this clip and immediately thought of you. It should fast-forward immediately to about 8:56 into the video.

I saw it and thought to myself who the hell is this #19 who looked like he was shot out of a ****ing cannon tracking down Flowers (who is generally used to outrunning people).

A.J. Westbrook.

Hey Slimm, is there a reason Terrell Edmunds isn't here?

Because I'm watching more of him right now and goodness, this guy is a pro. He's 6'2" & 220 lbs and yet he runs like all the Sons of Ferrell do, and those hips!

He's got that quality to him as well, the attack dog, alpha, aggressive mentality...whatever you want to call it. It's visible.

He seems inexperienced. He's reading and reacting quickly, but sometimes wrongly. And sometimes he's got the right idea and right recognition, but he attacks it wrong, puts his foot in the wrong spot, etc. I hate all these blanket declarations of every shortcoming as "coachable" but that's how I see his issues.

The building blocks are there, though. Can catch the football, big at 6'2" & 220 lbs, great frame (again, all of the Sons of Ferrell have that), great speed, good hips, good mentality, reads and reacts quickly to put himself into the action, physically strong, an aggressive tackler. He makes plays on the football from the slot, covering slot receivers, and then he can turn around and make a deep play as a free center like he did with that pick-off on a deep ball against Syracuse in 2016.

Basically what I'm describing is maybe a little bit less speedy version of Derwin James, and since Derwin has speed to give, that's not half-bad.

As for speed, here's a nice cue:

The RB here is Tavien Feaster, who was lasered at 4.34 and 4.42 in his two forty runs at Nike camp a few years ago at 5'11" & 202 lbs. He's bigger than that now, so probably not quite as fast.

But what's interesting to me is that whereas TREMAINE Edmunds (the guy about which an NFC regional scout quoted to Lance Zierlein: "I don't think there has ever been a linebacker that has had his size and speed.") clearly cannot hang with this speed of Feaster on this play...TERRELL Edmunds looks flat out faster than Tremaine on the chase, and perhaps even as fast as Feaster.

Hey Slimm, is there a reason Terrell Edmunds isn't here?

Because I'm watching more of him right now and goodness, this guy is a pro. He's 6'2" & 220 lbs and yet he runs like all the Sons of Ferrell do, and those hips!

He's got that quality to him as well, the attack dog, alpha, aggressive mentality...whatever you want to call it. It's visible.

He seems inexperienced. He's reading and reacting quickly, but sometimes wrongly. And sometimes he's got the right idea and right recognition, but he attacks it wrong, puts his foot in the wrong spot, etc. I hate all these blanket declarations of every shortcoming as "coachable" but that's how I see his issues.

The building blocks are there, though. Can catch the football, big at 6'2" & 220 lbs, great frame (again, all of the Sons of Ferrell have that), great speed, good hips, good mentality, reads and reacts quickly to put himself into the action, physically strong, an aggressive tackler. He makes plays on the football from the slot, covering slot receivers, and then he can turn around and make a deep play as a free center like he did with that pick-off on a deep ball against Syracuse in 2016.

Basically what I'm describing is maybe a little bit less speedy version of Derwin James, and since Derwin has speed to give, that's not half-bad.

As for speed, here's a nice cue:

The RB here is Tavien Feaster, who was lasered at 4.34 and 4.42 in his two forty runs at Nike camp a few years ago at 5'11" & 202 lbs. He's bigger than that now, so probably not quite as fast.

But what's interesting to me is that whereas TREMAINE Edmunds (the guy about which an NFC regional scout quoted to Lance Zierlein: "I don't think there has ever been a linebacker that has had his size and speed.") clearly cannot hang with this speed of Feaster on this play...TERRELL Edmunds looks flat out faster than Tremaine on the chase, and perhaps even as fast as Feaster.

Never liked him much. Some do but I don't.

I love Mike Edwards and Jermaine Whitehead. Justin Reid and DeShon Elliott really upped their games this year, and they're both making a ton of plays. For teams looking for Safeties who can cover, I like those four a lot. After a very strong 2017 Safety class, it's nice to see that 2018 should also be good - if a rung lower than 2017.

What do you think of Armani Watts?

Back
Top Bottom