Slimm's 2019 Cornerbacks (underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Cornerbacks (underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Byron Murphy** / Washington / 5'11", 190

2. Andraez Williams** / LSU / 6'2", 185

3. Julian Love / Notre Dame / 5'11", 195

4. David Long / Michigan / 5'11", 196

5. Trayvon Mullen / Clemson / 6'1", 199

6. Jamel Dean / Auburn / 6'1", 206

7. Sean Bunting / C. Michigan / 6'0", 195

8. Justin Layne / Michigan St. / 6'2", 192

9. Ryan Pulley / Arkansas / 5'11", 209

10. Joejuan Williams / Vanderbilt / 6'4", 211

11. Kendall Sheffield / Ohio St. / 5'11", 193

12. Clifton Duck / App. St. / 5'10", 175

13. Xavier Crawford / C. Michigan / 5'11", 187

14. Hamp Cheevers / Boston College / 5'9", 169

Last edited:
Williams looks like a superstar in the making - fluid, beautiful ball skills, instincts, and the length doesn't hurt. Haven't given Ghanwoloku a look, but I really like the rest of the top 5. I'm behind, but Ron Smith has to add some strength/weight and continue to develop, but he has that play-making instinct you can't coach. Also like Mark Gilbert, and Clifton Duck has to be the overwhelming favorite for best name in 2020. Awesome stuff, Slim! I'll try to get caught up a bit :^D

Slimm, I saw a mock draft today by bleacher report, where they have Miami selecting CB Trayvon Mullen from Clemson. What's your opinion on him? Thanks!!!

Slimm, I saw a mock draft today by bleacher report, where they have Miami selecting CB Trayvon Mullen from Clemson. What's your opinion on him? Thanks!!!

Well, I think he's the 2nd best "big" corner among my underclassman. I think he's a long and physical press corner that plays to every inch and ounce of that 6'1", 195 pound frame. I think he has a lot of good functional play strength. He looks big on the field. The issue for him in my opinion is recovery speed and fluidity in his hips. He's just a really high cut prospect. Workouts typically determine how high these cornerbacks go in the draft, the tape isn't really all that important anymore.

I think he has some 1st round abilities to develop, but he's nowhere near the elite player Greedy Williams is right now, just for comparison. You don't want him playing any off coverages, he lacks ideal short area quickness. You want him lined up in press where he can use his physicality and length. In other words, he's going to be a very scheme dependent player. Not a fit for any and every defense. Mullen is probably not the way I would go in the 1st round.

Get out of my head, Slimm! Couldn't agree more. Hard to find major weaknesses in his game - toughness of a Safety, WR ball skills.

He's a converted wide receiver.

It was around this time last year you and I agreed that D.J. Moore was the most underrated WR in the country - ended up being the first WR to come off the board. Bryce Hall is a stud. All he has to do is run well.

I'm not sure exactly what he'll run, but this is the type of play I'm talking about. All effort. He comes from the other side of the field to chase down Travis Homer. These are the types of plays that I saw on film from Kevin Byard at MTSU that made him the top Senior safety on my board early. Most had Karl Joseph or Vonn Bell as their top safety.

It was around this time last year you and I agreed that D.J. Moore was the most underrated WR in the country - ended up being the first WR to come off the board. Bryce Hall is a stud. All he has to do is run well.

I'm not sure exactly what he'll run, but this is the type of play I'm talking about. All effort. He comes from the other side of the field to chase down Travis Homer. These are the types of plays that I saw on film from Kevin Byard at MTSU that made him the top Senior safety on my board early. Most had Karl Joseph or Vonn Bell as their top safety.

Phenomenal play. Even if he doesn't run well, and it looks like he should do at least OK, I'd say it just limits the scheme fits. At worst, he's like a better version of Trumaine Johnson - big, physical CB who does everything well and understands body position. Again, though, I think Hall runs pretty well, so that's just a worst-case scenario. I love the poise with which he plays the ball. A lot of - even pretty good - CB's show an anxiousness or nervousness when the ball is in the air, but Hall's timing and body positioning are so on point.

I liked Byard, but I have to admit that I had Joseph ranked higher. That was a learning experience for me - expanded what I look for/at in the position.

Phenomenal play. Even if he doesn't run well, and it looks like he should do at least OK, I'd say it just limits the scheme fits. At worst, he's like a better version of Trumaine Johnson - big, physical CB who does everything well and understands body position. Again, though, I think Hall runs pretty well, so that's just a worst-case scenario. I love the poise with which he plays the ball. A lot of - even pretty good - CB's show an anxiousness or nervousness when the ball is in the air, but Hall's timing and body positioning are so on point.

I liked Byard, but I have to admit that I had Joseph ranked higher. That was a learning experience for me - expanded what I look for/at in the position.

I think you nailed it right there. And he was very physical with Kelvin Harmon in their matchup. I considered Hall the victor in that matchup.

What's your read on Levonta Taylor at FSU -

I don't think there's any way he can play on the outside in the NFL, believe he's going to be relegated to nickel only. But he was completely overmatched against bigger receivers against Virginia Tech, and I watched Jauan Wesley of Northern Illinois completely take him to school on a move for a TD that left Taylor looking for his jock strap. Completely roasted there (FYI, Wesley is an underrated - perhaps even unknown WR prospect.)

What I like about Taylor is that he's feisty and won't hesitate to stick his nose in there and tackle as a face up finisher. Unlike Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, but I think CGJ is better in man coverage and mirroring receivers.

For me it's a little bit of a tough call between those two as a slot corner at the next level.

What's your read on Levonta Taylor at FSU -

I don't think there's any way he can play on the outside in the NFL, believe he's going to be relegated to nickel only. But he was completely overmatched against bigger receivers against Virginia Tech, and I watched Jauan Wesley of Northern Illinois completely take him to school on a move for a TD that left Taylor looking for his jock strap. Completely roasted there (FYI, Wesley is an underrated - perhaps even unknown WR prospect.)

What I like about Taylor is that he's feisty and won't hesitate to stick his nose in there and tackle as a face up finisher. Unlike Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, but I think CGJ is better in man coverage and mirroring receivers.

For me it's a little bit of a tough call between those two as a slot corner at the next level.

I like Gardner-Johnson better, but I hoped he'd take a bigger step forward in 2018. For his age/experience, I thought he was great in 2017. He does dive too much, but I still think he has better instincts/finds the ball better than Taylor. Unless either closes strong, I'd like to see them both return for 2019. I don't know their personal situations, so I'm not saying I'd judge either for leaving - just that I feel they both have work to do to improve their standings in the draft and that they're both talented enough to do that.

I think your Top 4 (Williams-Love) should all declare and that the 2nd Round is the floor for anyone in that group, and Pulley is likely a 2nd/3rd guy, so - with the missed season - it might make sense for him to declare. Outside of that group, though, I think Javaris Davis and Gardner-Johnson have the best on-field arguments for going pro, but Gardner-Johnson could play his way into the Top 40 for 2020, and that seems very unlikely for 2019.

Speaking of Moore, the Panthers finally give him a real role in the offense, and he puts up 129 yards from scrimmage in the 1st half vs the best D in the league. The NFL can be so dumb.

I’d pickup Andreaz Williams in a heartbeat man that would shore up this secondary for years to come pairing him with Howard and Minkah.

Most Underrated: Bryce Hall, Ryan Pulley, Chris Jackson, Parnell Motley, Cameron Dantzler.

Most Overrated: Trayvon Mullen, Kendall Sheffield.

I know he’s only a freshman but what do you think of Patrick Surtain jr out of Alabama? He looked good against LSU. If he’s anything like his dad was for the Phins, He’s going to be good.

Back
Top Bottom