Slimm's 2019 Cornerbacks (underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Cornerbacks (underclassman)

I know he’s only a freshman but what do you think of Patrick Surtain jr out of Alabama? He looked good against LSU. If he’s anything like his dad was for the Phins, He’s going to be good.

He'll be a top 5-10 pick in a few years.

I could swear we've talked about Baity before.

I know we talked and disagreed a little bit about Chris Westry, who will mostly get the NFL's attention for his height, wing span, and pure running ability...but I could swear we also talked about Derrick Baity.

I could swear we've talked about Baity before.

I know we talked and disagreed a little bit about Chris Westry, who will mostly get the NFL's attention for his height, wing span, and pure running ability...but I could swear we also talked about Derrick Baity.

I remember talking about Westry. We probably talked about Baity but I can't recall any specifics.

Although I saw more of what I didn't like about Westry against Georgia last Saturday - he had outside contain on a play and completely disregarded his responsibility which allowed Elijah Holyfield to get around the left side for a big run.

I remember talking about Westry. We probably talked about Baity but I can't recall any specifics.

Although I saw more of what I didn't like about Westry against Georgia last Saturday - he had outside contain on a play and completely disregarded his responsibility which allowed Elijah Holyfield to get around the left side for a big run.

He's done that several times. To me issues like that are pretty discrete. It's not that he's a bad player with bad potential, it's that there are things he's got to clean up. Having watched a bunch of their defensive reels this year, there's no question in my mind that Chris Westry is a better corner than Lonnie Johnson, with much more NFL potential.

That Kentucky defense has several men on it. I remember watching them last year to look at Mike Edwards and Josh Allen and being surprised how many other real men were on it, guys like Derrick Baity, Chris Westry, and Darius West.

Josh Allen, Derrick Baity, and Mike Edwards will all be NFL players. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if Westry and West get their shots as well. They have issues, and with Westry's pure package of size, speed, agility, and aggressiveness, I'm more inclined to bet on him than West, but they can both play.

I know Slimm has him in his top 10 CBs but David Long IMO is incredibly underrated even by Michigan fans. Lavert Hill gets most of the love, but Long has legit shut his half of the field down 2 straight years. I think per PFF, he's had the lowest completion percentage against in all of college football the last 2 years

Overall how do you think this CB class will size up? Is it good or average? I know its early but whats your feel for it? I would like the dolphins to finish this secondary off. Would like a solid #2 CB.

What happened to Williams?

Not much - I've just become quite smitten with Byron Murphy. The instincts, ball skills and physicality are just too much for me to resist having him as my top UC cornerback.

However, some of Greedy's technical flaws were exposed as the season went on. He's a press corner that still needs to refine his press technique in my opinion. Still a 1st round talent, and can still develop into an elite player - just needs to work on his technique and perhaps even a little bit of an attitude adjustment.

Not much - I've just become quite smitten with Byron Murphy. The instincts, ball skills and physicality are just too much for me to resist having him as my top UC cornerback.

However, some of Greedy's technical flaws were exposed as the season went on. He's a press corner that still needs to refine his press technique in my opinion. Still a 1st round talent, and can still develop into an elite player - just needs to work on his technique and perhaps even a little bit of an attitude adjustment.

Couldn't agree more.

Kind of surprised by this, but the Combine is huge for CB's either way.

They typically give all CB's 2nd round feedback. As you mentioned, it's the combine that matters. The film doesn't matter for cornerbacks.

Look at Marlon Humphrey - he's developing into the best young CB in the NFL, kid stayed burnt at Alabama. I've never seen any of that from Murphy.

Julian Love declared. Really like his game. Doubt he runs great, and he may be more of a slot, but he's a well-rounded playmaker. Some similarities to Desmond King.

Gonna show my Gators bias again and say CJ Henderson is special.

Oh and Gardner-Johnson is so good, not sure where he goes since he's not a boundary guy at all, but if he fell to the mid rounds he would be a huge upgrade on McCain.

Last edited:
Trayvon Mullen hasn’t decided yet

He played extremely well in the NC but couldn’t finish it cause of cramping.

I’d grab him in the 2nd or possibly 3rd if I could.

Back
Top Bottom