Slimm's 2019 Defensive Ends (seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Defensive Ends (seniors)

After Montez Sweat destroyed Tytus Howard yesterday on a rep with incredible power that left Howard laying flat on his back, NFL network analysts were interviewing Sweat and asking him where that came from and if he'd been working on it.

It was already on film. He did it to Dalton Risner in the second game of the season, and was sprinkled throughout his entire season.

Most of these analysts like Charles Davis are tasked with putting together mock drafts in hopes of predicting where players will go based on what they're hearing. But if you watched the tape, I'm surprised by a lot of the things they're surprised by.

After Montez Sweat destroyed Tytus Howard yesterday on a rep with incredible power that left Howard laying flat on his back, NFL network analysts were interviewing Sweat and asking him where that came from and if he'd been working on it.

It was already on film. He did it to Dalton Risner in the second game of the season, and was sprinkled throughout his entire season.

Most of these analysts like Charles Davis are tasked with putting together mock drafts in hopes of predicting where players will go based on what they're hearing. But if you watched the tape, I'm surprised by a lot of the things they're surprised by.

I had forgotten how much I liked Sweat until I started watching the review shows on NFL network. The kid is a beast, could be a good fit for us if we stay at 13 but have a felling he may go higher than that. Bucky Brooks has us taking Ferguson over him and passing on Kyler Murray (who ends up at NE :(). He has Carolina taking him at 16, I would be more than angry if this scenario came to pass.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...019-nfl-mock-draft-10-pats-among-4-to-pick-qb

Thought Sweat was ok in the game, Omenihu really flashed, disappointed with Ferghuson and Buggs.

Yep, but there are a few website draft guys who want to suggest that Sweat didn't beat Risner at all. I have to laugh at the commentary that says Sweat isn't that athletic and lacks bend. He may not be the bendiest guy out there, but he's athletic as hell and can get to the QB in a variety of ways. He's a stud.

My goodness, I'm only just now getting a look at Jamell Garcia-Williams of UAB. Feeling pretty late to that party.

Smart player, great hands, strong as oak.

He's 6'7" and 255 lbs with the frame to add a hell of a lot more. Moves around in space like it's nothing to him.

He's one of these guys that slips through the cracks because he's a JUCO and he only played the one year at a program that only just got resurrected from the dead in 2017. But that UAB program had a miraculous 9-1 start to the season, clinching their conference after 10 games. And he was a legit big part of that as he started the entire year at OLB and tallied up 43 tackles, 15.5 TFLs, 9.5 Sacks, 4 PBUs.

I went ahead and watched him against Texas A&M's offensive line and tight ends, and they just couldn't hang with the guy. I'm not going to say he destroyed them or anything but he was winning those hand battles, getting his hips into the gap, and I particularly liked what he did against the run.

If Miami's new defensive coaching staff get a look at him, I think they're going to see another Deatrich Wise.

I'd just Right-Arrow my way all the way through this game. This #99 is a very underrated player.

Slimm and CK, would you say that Gustin is the wildcard of the group? Can't seem to stay healthy, but he was very productive very early in his career at USC, is still relatively young, has good size and strength, and, when healthy, looked like a plus athlete. Unless he tests very well and checks out medically, I wouldn't draft him early, but of the potential Day 3 guys, his upside is very appealing to me. Medicalsx again, will be big.

Slimm and CK, would you say that Gustin is the wildcard of the group? Can't seem to stay healthy, but he was very productive very early in his career at USC, is still relatively young, has good size and strength, and, when healthy, looked like a plus athlete. Unless he tests very well and checks out medically, I wouldn't draft him early, but of the potential Day 3 guys, his upside is very appealing to me. Medicalsx again, will be big.

I like Porter Gustin more than a lot of these other guys. Gustin plays the game in an old school defensive fashion, he'd fit right in as an OLB on the Ravens defense of the early 2000's. I watched him get ejected from the Texas game for a controversial targeting penalty on Ehlinger - the very next week almost got ejected for a controversial targeting call on Gardner Minshew.

Coach Gustin to lower his lazer a tad and I think you have something. This kid loves football and takes care of his body. Hasn't eaten a candy bar or drank a soda in 10 years. Does a few hundred push ups and sit ups every single night before bed. His high school and college coaches were finally able to get through to him and get him to at least take one day (Sunday) off from lifting. He's already very disciplined and regimented when it comes to taking care of his body.

He's suffered a couple of unfortunate foot injuries, but this is a kid I'd gamble on to make my team a better football team.

I like Porter Gustin more than a lot of these other guys. Gustin plays the game in an old school defensive fashion, he'd fit right in as an OLB on the Ravens defense of the early 2000's. I watched him get ejected from the Texas game for a controversial targeting penalty on Ehlinger - the very next week almost got ejected for a controversial targeting call on Gardner Minshew.

Coach Gustin to lower his lazer a tad and I think you have something. This kid loves football and takes care of his body. Hasn't eaten a candy bar or drank a soda in 10 years. Does a few hundred push ups and sit ups every single night before bed. His high school and college coaches were finally able to get through to him and get him to at least take one day (Sunday) off from lifting. He's already very disciplined and regimented when it comes to taking care of his body.

He's suffered a couple of unfortunate foot injuries, but this is a kid I'd gamble on to make my team a better football team.

That's excellent info, Slimm. Based on his physique and the way he plays, it doesn't surprise me. I was very high on him entering 2017, and despite playing in just six games, he led USC in sacks and TFL in 2018. If he played the entire year, I think the discussion around him is very different. Love his instincts and toughness. I also think he's a potential fit for Miami along with Hollins.

I think it's good for you to bring up Porter Gustin because he's one of those guys it's easy to forget about, having gotten injured, not being able to participate in the Senior Bowl, all that.

But on the field it's hard to ignore his heavy hands and the urgency, technical quality of his pass rush. He's a violent player.

And a guy that's as dedicated to his body as this is often an asset in the NFL:

la-1550970921-4tg0pvym3b-snap-image

I'm not saying he's T.J. Watt or Clay Matthews. But I'm not NOT saying that, either.

Funny how the mind plays tricks on you in particular with respect to Matthews.

To clarify, based on what I see, I think Porter Gustin and Christian Miller should be sort of a pair, in terms of value.

I'd welcome either to Miami with open arms.

They're not quite the same as an Emeke Egbule, or even to Justin Hollins. Both of those guys are closer to a Dont'a Hightower in terms of how they could end up playing at the next level.

I look at how Justin Hollins played in the Shrine game and to me that's his future. The Shrine coaches mix up their defensive fronts in order to account for different skill sets on the roster, and do their job of showing these players off to the scouts who work for teams that run different systems. But the fun part about that is a guy like Justin Hollins ends up being used all over the place, be it a stacked OLB, nickel LB, a Leo, an on the line Sam a la Donnie Spragan back in the day, etc.

That sort of multiplicity fit Justin Hollins so well that he was able to get the MVP honors. And rather than just looking at and isolating one of those roles, and saying OK that was his best we're going to use him as that, I would just assume take the whole bunch and use him variably in a defense that is multiple. Which is supposedly what Miami intends to be with their defense.

And I think Emeke Egbule slides right into that archetype as well. But I think he is probably faster than Hollins, more physical, and should grade a little better.

Porter Gustin and Christian Miller are closer to a Trey Flowers, although not sure you want them rushing the inside as much as Flowers does. They're for the defensive front, pass rushers and run stoppers.

Going back over Banogu, and he's another player who could really thrive in the Van Noy role. Hands are better than I remembered, and his explosiveness really shows up on stunts. Plenty of meat on the bone as a rusher off the edge, too. He's not a fit for everyone, but he's pretty good already, and he looked much more instinctive in 2018 than 2017 imo. When you factor in his athleticism, there's a lot to like.

Back
Top Bottom