Slimm's 2019 Defensive Tackles (underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Defensive Tackles (underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Quinnen Williams** / Alabama / 6'3", 303

2. Ed Oliver / Houston / 6'2", 287

3. Jeffery Simmons / Mississippi St. / 6'4", 300

4. Dexter Lawrence / Clemson / 6'4", 342

5. Dre'Mont Jones / Ohio St. / 6'3", 281

6. Trysten Hill / UCF / 6'3", 308

7. Kevin Givens / Penn St. / 6'1", 285

8. Youhanna Ghaifan / Wyoming / 6'4", 282

Last edited:
My worst nightmare for 2018: Miami is bad enough to select Oliver, but they "have" to select a QB instead.
Funny you say that. Because in Albert Breers latest mock draft, he has Miami selecting Ed Oliver with the #2 pick.

With the strength of the DTs in this class it's tough for me to imagine Miami doesn't go here with their 1st round pick, or 2nd round pick at the latest.

Really like Quinnen Williams, but I still have Oliver as DT1 and the top-ranked defensive talent in the draft. While both use their hands effectively and efficiently, I see Oliver as having an advantage in burst, agility, motor, and instincts. In the scheme of things, it may not matter much, but with every prospect having a little bit of bust built into their profile, I see Oliver as being the surer bet. I also view him as having the higher ceiling - because of his instincts and athletic traits.

That said, they're the two DT's I'd say Miami should target/consider in the 1st Round. While it's a strong DT group, those are the two that I most trust to warrant big contracts in 6 years. If Miami misses on Oliver/Williams in the 1st, given the depth of the class, I think they should target DT in Rounds 3 or 4.

Most Underrated: Doug Costin.

Most Overrated: Raekwon Davis - I watched a 5'9", 200 pound running back for Texas A&M (Trayveon Williams) come up and absolutely decleat Raekwon Davis on a block. Has a tendency to play with his pads too high and with poor leverage because he's too tall.

With the strength of the DTs in this class it's tough for me to imagine Miami doesn't go here with their 1st round pick, or 2nd round pick at the latest.

Why not both? There isn't a spot on the DL that doesn't need to be addressed and this looks like the year to do it.

I’ve heard Matt Miller say that Oliver is closer to 275 pounds. Does that matter to any of you? Personally I like Williams better.

With the depth of DT’s would it make more sense to go DE in 1 and DT in 2 ?

With the depth of DT’s would it make more sense to go DE in 1 and DT in 2 ?

Outside of Oliver (who I expect to weigh in between 285-290 for the Combine) and Williams, I think Pass Rusher is the ideal route in Round 1 - with CB or DT in RD 2 and CB or DT in RD 3 and S in R 4.

While I agree that the DT depth is excellent, I think it's most likely you'll get a solid (starter) level of disruption from whichever DT you draft from that second group, rather than an All Pro level.

I'm seeing some ranking Simmons and even Raekwon Davis in the top 10 (or even top 5), and that seems awful rich for Simmons and (as Slimm has alluded) ridiculous for Davis. I'd much rather have Tillery or Jones or Willis III in the 2nd or 3rd than either Simmons or Davis in the 1st.

Something like (assuming Oliver and Williams are off the board):

RD 1: Josh Allen or Jachai Polite
RD 2: Deandre Baker or Bryce Hall or Byron Murphy or Julian Love or Amani Oruwariye or Kris Boyd
RD 3: Jerry Tillery or Dre'Mont Jones or Gerald Willis III
RD 4: Juan Thornhill or Darnell Savage or Mike Edwards

Of course, it's unlikely that Miami goes all in on D with the state of the offense, but these are the kinds of groupings I think Miami should have in mind.

I’ve heard Matt Miller say that Oliver is closer to 275 pounds. Does that matter to any of you? Personally I like Williams better.

If you watch closely, you can see Oliver getting banged around a little bit in there sometimes due to lack of size. And that's against AAC offensive lines.

I think Oliver is going to be scheme dependent at the next level. Ideally I'd want him to be in a scheme that slants and utilizes some run stunts.

Outside of Oliver (who I expect to weigh in between 285-290 for the Combine) and Williams, I think Pass Rusher is the ideal route in Round 1 - with CB or DT in RD 2 and CB or DT in RD 3 and S in R 4.

While I agree that the DT depth is excellent, I think it's most likely you'll get a solid (starter) level of disruption from whichever DT you draft from that second group, rather than an All Pro level.

I'm seeing some ranking Simmons and even Raekwon Davis in the top 10 (or even top 5), and that seems awful rich for Simmons and (as Slimm has alluded) ridiculous for Davis. I'd much rather have Tillery or Jones or Willis III in the 2nd or 3rd than either Simmons or Davis in the 1st.

Something like (assuming Oliver and Williams are off the board):

RD 1: Josh Allen or Jachai Polite
RD 2: Deandre Baker or Bryce Hall or Byron Murphy or Julian Love or Amani Oruwariye or Kris Boyd
RD 3: Jerry Tillery or Dre'Mont Jones or Gerald Willis III
RD 4: Juan Thornhill or Darnell Savage or Mike Edwards

Of course, it's unlikely that Miami goes all in on D with the state of the offense, but these are the kinds of groupings I think Miami should have in mind.

I don't have a problem with Simmons top 10. I think he's good enough to be the #2 DT behind Q. Williams on my board - I've considered it.

I like what you're doing there in the first 4 rounds. I think it'd be fortunate to land most of those players in those rounds. Although, I'd consider sneaking in a quarterback in Round 3 to develop if you miss out on some of the DT's and DB's - Clayton Thorson.

I don't have a problem with Simmons top 10. I think he's good enough to be the #2 DT behind Q. Williams on my board - I've considered it.

I like what you're doing there in the first 4 rounds. I think it'd be fortunate to land most of those players in those rounds. Although, I'd consider sneaking in a quarterback in Round 3 to develop if you miss out on some of the DT's and DB's - Clayton Thorson.

You may be right about Simmons. I just don't see the play-to-play disruption that warrants a pick that early. I think his pad level is a little inconsistent, and while he's a better athlete with a higher ceiling than Tillery, I think Tillery uses his hands better. I don't know how Simmons has improved as a person in recent years, and I'll have to look into that further, but it also gives me pause (based on my current understanding of the player/person).

Obviously an ultra-small board, and you wouldn't go into the draft with a board that small, but, for me, the thinking is that you just need one of the players in the group to fall through. Of course, if DT's start going earlier than CB's, you might flip the way you prioritize the positions.

Back
Top Bottom