Smith, Bruschi share award... NFL has no shame! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith, Bruschi share award... NFL has no shame!

RobFins2005 said:
Please. Explain to me how Ricky should have even been in the running for a "Comeback Player of the Year" award, which, no matter how vague it is, is typically supposed to reward someone who came back from something, either concrete, like an injury, mental illness, or something that hindered their play and left their futures in doubt, or something abstract, like rebounding from poor seasons (like Drew Brees) or adversity.

Ricky Williams LEFT THE TEAM voluntarily, still with a lot of gas left in his tank, and returned the same back he pretty much was when he left (not saying he hasn't improved over how he was in 2003, but he was not a bad back then either).

I don't see how he should have garnered any votes.

As far as Teddy Bruschi, please keep in mind the award isn't titled "OMG PLAYER WHO STOPPED PLAYING BUT RETURNED AND HAD MOST YARDS AND MOST BANG BANG AND MOST GUSTO WHEN HE PLAYED", it's comeback player of the year. I'm guessing some voters thought returned from a stroke was more impressive, and some thought returning from a debiliating injury and putting up near MVP numbers was more impressive. Personally I'd go more with the former, but I'm not inclined to insult people who vote for the latter.

Im with you on this rob

you really cant complain about either/both awards

ih8brady said:
First, Ricky was mentally ill.
2nd, if its about severity of what they're recovering from and not production, why didn't Robert Edwards get it a few years ago? Maddox got it instead.

You can use the generic "mentally ill" umbrella all you want. Everybody knows Ricky Williams has social anxiety disorder. While social anxiety is not something to take lightly, it isn't exactly in the same league as schizophrenia (which is NOT a multiple personality disorder, contrary to popular belief) or bi-polar disorder. If a regular Joe Schmoe was to say he had it, people would say "Who cares?" But when Ricky Williams has it, oh, it's a big deal. A lot of people have it. It's estimated that between 7.9-10.5% of the entire US population has it.

It was no secret Ricky had trouble dealing with the pressures of NFL stardom and football. Nonetheless, he still left on his own volition, and nonetheless, merely stating something is due to "mental illness" does not necessarily excuse it either. Moreso, he didn't come to the team with his problems, made them believe he would be with them during the season, and abandoned them on the eve of training camp. No matter how you try to rationalize that, it is not activity that should be rewarded with a special recognition award. At all.

I'm familiar with mental illness, being that my degree was in Psychology. However, people shouldn't just get free passes because they're mentally ill. Ricky stopped taking his medication for his mental illness ages ago.

Back
Top Bottom