So If We Do Trade Fletcher | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So If We Do Trade Fletcher

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You think the Steelers would be a good place to start?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

STEELERS QUIETLY WORRIED ABOUT CORNERS

"Word around the league is that the Steelers privately are concerned about the quality of their cornerbacks. A league source tells us the Steelers will be watching the transaction sheet once camps get rolling in search of one or more guys who can compete with the incumbents.

Returning are starters DeWayne Washington and Chad Scott. Both underachieved in 2002, little more than a year after getting long-term deals worth more than $20 million each.

In the offseason, the team downplayed the need for an upgrade -- and we previously reported that the front office pooh-poohed the issue because they didn't have the cap room to sign a solid free-agent replacement, and they were too low in the draft order to nab one of the few corners who'll be in a position to start right away.

Then again, Washington and Scott's performance might have been tarnished by a front seven that was unable to put sufficient heat on the opposing quarterback.

Still, there's no doubt that an upgrade at the position couldn't hurt. If someone becomes available between now and September 7, look for the Steelers to take a long, hard look."

And let the Fletcher crucifixion begin!

T-Buck's signing and Fletch's incompatibility with our D system have made him expandable...Expandable to the point he might not even make the team...
So unless the Steelers are seeing something most of us are'nt they'll wait for Fletch to hit the waiver wire or at the very most trade a 5th rounder for him...
We can only hope he'll blossom under T Buck's tutelage and deliver on his potential...

Haha. Would of been nice if that bastard, Randel-El didn't break out last year. But who would you want from the Stealers? They don't have many good players that they'd be WILLING to deal. Unless it's one of those conditional picks next year. But since it's next year, I'd want a conditional 3rd. If Korey Banks keeps up the good work, why not?

CB:
1.SurtAn
2.Madison
3.Buckley
4.Lowe
5.Banks

If we get something good for Fletcher.. I wouldn't mind.

I think Fletcher will have a good year playing the dime db and backing up PS and SM in case of injury. I say, keep him.

Fletcher will be Miami's Dime CB this year.. He's worked real hard and will improve, I'm confident the kid will show his stuff this year..

This thread fell off the front page to quickly. That article is the second time I've seen a report like this.

Where there is smoke there is fire ?

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
You think the Steelers would be a good place to start?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

STEELERS QUIETLY WORRIED ABOUT CORNERS

"Word around the league is that the Steelers privately are concerned about the quality of their cornerbacks. A league source tells us the Steelers will be watching the transaction sheet once camps get rolling in search of one or more guys who can compete with the incumbents.

Returning are starters DeWayne Washington and Chad Scott. Both underachieved in 2002, little more than a year after getting long-term deals worth more than $20 million each.

In the offseason, the team downplayed the need for an upgrade -- and we previously reported that the front office pooh-poohed the issue because they didn't have the cap room to sign a solid free-agent replacement, and they were too low in the draft order to nab one of the few corners who'll be in a position to start right away.

Then again, Washington and Scott's performance might have been tarnished by a front seven that was unable to put sufficient heat on the opposing quarterback.

Still, there's no doubt that an upgrade at the position couldn't hurt. If someone becomes available between now and September 7, look for the Steelers to take a long, hard look."

And let the Fletcher crucifixion begin!

I think that would be a huge mistake at this point. Fletcher had a good season last year, and from all the reports I've read he's had a good mini and training camp so far.

He's worth more to us than what we could possibly get for him IMO.

Oliver...

We Drafted Fletcher with our 1st pick, his value is about a 5th (or early 6th) so why not meet in the middle and settle for a 3rd....ok ok give the trading team the benefit of the doubt and settle for a 4th....I wouldnt accept nothing more than a 4th.

Originally posted by Predaphin34
We Drafted Fletcher with our 1st pick, his value is about a 5th (or early 6th) so why not meet in the middle and settle for a 3rd....ok ok give the trading team the benefit of the doubt and settle for a 4th....I wouldnt accept nothing more than a 4th.

Just talking here, so you think Fletcher is worth less to this team if kept compared to a 2004 4th round draft pick?

Personally I don't, I think Fletcher is 1 injury away from paying huge dividens for this team. I know if one of our starting CB's went down I would not want T-Buck starting, I would want Fletcher starting. At least at this point, things could change during or after this pre-season as far as what I think of T-Buck and Fletcher.

Oliver...

Lowe is definitely more suited for this defense as an outside corner. Banks has played according to some, namely The Sporting News, and could be a good developmental guy to have.

I'd think the Steelers will be looking at guys like Banks who perform well but won't make their prospective teams due to the numbers crunch.

Originally posted by Oliver

Just talking here, so you think Fletcher is worth less to this team if kept compared to a 2004 4th round draft pick?

Personally I don't, I think Fletcher is 1 injury away from paying huge dividens for this team. I know if one of our starting CB's went down I would not want T-Buck starting, I would want Fletcher starting. At least at this point, things could change during or after this pre-season as far as what I think of T-Buck and Fletcher.

Oliver...

I'm with you, Oliver. Fletcher may deserve criticism in the sense that he hasn't lived up to the promise and expectations of a first-rounder, but that is a relative concept. In absolute terms, you'd have to consider him to be of a value to the team that one might expect of a third-rounder, -- and we don't toss our third-round caliber players out simply because they aren't first-round caliber.

His value to us is also greater than his value might be to other teams, including those with significant CB problems and/or a pretty consistent zone scheme. He'd have a learning curve wherever he goes, and no trade comes with a guarantee. Thus, we couldn't expect to get anything better than a 5th for him, or a 4th with a ton of luck. And our strength and depth in nickel and dime would be diminished just to have a 4th or 5th pick next year -- who may or may not contribute a thing.

We're kinda spoiled on our coverage expectations, given the pro-bowl performances of Patrick, Sam and Brock. And we may not have the luxury of having both Patrick and Sam around much longer.

I believe TBuck's skills have diminished with age and he can't beat out Fletcher who has 2 years in this system.

I really thing Tbuck is working against Lowe etc. as the dime corner back... Fletcher is either the 3rd cb or off the team.

The Dolphins have always looked for the future as well as the present.... which makes Fletcher as the keeper and Buckley as the 4th or camp fodder.

Originally posted by Bottle Nose
I believe TBuck's skills have diminished with age and he can't beat out Fletcher who has 2 years in this system.

I really thing Tbuck is working against Lowe etc. as the dime corner back... Fletcher is either the 3rd cb or off the team.

The Dolphins have always looked for the future as well as the present.... which makes Fletcher as the keeper and Buckley as the 4th or camp fodder.

I don't think it's a Fletcher or T-Buck situation. I think T-Buck will bring alot to the table and will help this D in many GREAT ways. I just feel he no longer has the ability to start in the NFL. Where I feel Fletcher is a starting caliber CB. If Surtain and Madison were not in front of him he would be one of our starting CB's, I have no doubt about that.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom