So If We Do Trade Fletcher | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So If We Do Trade Fletcher

Originally posted by Phan4Ever

I'm with you, Oliver. Fletcher may deserve criticism in the sense that he hasn't lived up to the promise and expectations of a first-rounder, but that is a relative concept. In absolute terms, you'd have to consider him to be of a value to the team that one might expect of a third-rounder, -- and we don't toss our third-round caliber players out simply because they aren't first-round caliber.

His value to us is also greater than his value might be to other teams, including those with significant CB problems and/or a pretty consistent zone scheme. He'd have a learning curve wherever he goes, and no trade comes with a guarantee. Thus, we couldn't expect to get anything better than a 5th for him, or a 4th with a ton of luck. And our strength and depth in nickel and dime would be diminished just to have a 4th or 5th pick next year -- who may or may not contribute a thing.

We're kinda spoiled on our coverage expectations, given the pro-bowl performances of Patrick, Sam and Brock. And we may not have the luxury of having both Patrick and Sam around much longer.

That's a GREAT point. Fletcher may not be a value player because of where he was drafted, but for me that means very lil. At this point he's a player on this team, and I think he's worth much more than what other teams would be willing to give up to obtain his rights.

Oliver...

i still believe.......................

a rookie coming out of college should automatically get the league minimum. face it, the players in the pro ranks are faster, bigger and in some cases smarter. rooks should prove themselves first!;)

Oliver,

Thanks for straightening that one out. When I saw that trade speculation in the earlier post I thought "Geez, the guy's not worthless."

A fifth is just a token to save face.

And now that you mentioned injury, I don't think a deal would ever be struck this year. I think there is a dramatic "fall off" in talent after Fletcher in cover corner terms.

Fletcher has no expirience in the slot. He would have to learn and BEAT Buckley playing the slot. Otherwise he's the dime corner at most with a cap number over a million.

I'm a supporter of Fletcher but if he can't earn that nickel slot and Lowe/Banks can come on strong that makes Fletcher expendable.

I think fletcher has the potential to make fools of us all. i just wouldnt bet on it. It seems to me that fletcher is looking good so far. which is not that far i know but the kid knows where he stands and thats job one.

i hope we keep him because i only read good stuff about him since the season ended, he bulked up, spent time watching tape and is making plays in all of the camps so far, ask brian griese....:lol:

Fletcher if I'm not mistaken will not be the dime corner if he loses out for the nickle. He doesn't have the size to play over the TE and that's why usually a S is the dime corner. Wooden was last year.

Perhaps the coaches have a different plan for it, but I've read and seen other teams sit their 4th corner on gamedays. Fletcher might be inactive on gamedays if he loses out for nickle.

Originally posted by Phinstd
Fletcher if I'm not mistaken will not be the dime corner if he loses out for the nickle. He doesn't have the size to play over the TE and that's why usually a S is the dime corner. Wooden was last year.

Perhaps the coaches have a different plan for it, but I've read and seen other teams sit their 4th corner on gamedays. Fletcher might be inactive on gamedays if he loses out for nickle.

Dime packge is for four WR sets and usually fourth corner is on WR.Anyways it early but is nice to see Fletcher playing some nickel and doing well.

Originally posted by minus

Dime packge is for four WR sets and usually fourth corner is on WR.Anyways it early but is nice to see Fletcher playing some nickel and doing well.
nice pic minus!;)

Originally posted by minus

Yup but with the addition of Sammy Knight the phins have retracted their statements about giving Arturo less responsibility since well he wont' now. They are doing the 3 safeties, 3 CB's in the dime now. At least that was one of the formations they were talking about in the papers couple weeks ago.

I aint ready to give up on Fletch. He played a key role on the best pass D in the league last year. Standards are high, being wedged between Pat & MadMan is a tough spot, the mis match offenses are lookin for most times is on him.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Yup but with the addition of Sammy Knight the phins have retracted their statements about giving Arturo less responsibility since well he wont' now. They are doing the 3 safeties, 3 CB's in the dime now. At least that was one of the formations they were talking about in the papers couple weeks ago.

This is what we did last year as well.

Originally posted by Phinstd

This is what we did last year as well.

Yah but Surtain slid into the slot while Fletcher slid into Surtains spot. Fletcher has yet to ever play as the slot guy which means Buckley has a leg up on him for the nickel spot and there isn't much of a dime spot for Fletcher since Arturo will probably be there.

Originally posted by bryan allen
I aint ready to give up on Fletch. He played a key role on the best pass D in the league last year. Standards are high, being wedged between Pat & MadMan is a tough spot, the mis match offenses are lookin for most times is on him.

Look...Fletcher reads the papers and know that the Phins were not happy with his playmaking last year. That's why they went and got a slower "playmaker" in Knight. Fletcher is a smart guy with pride. He was young and put in a starting role. My guess is he was just doing what was asked of him...Cover guys, don't get beat, don't take chances. Don't lose the game for us.

Then this offseason the F/O goes and gets a guy that is always taking chances. I think, especially now that he knows the system, that he will rebound very strong and start taking chances and making plays. Remember, next year the Phins have to make a decision about Marion. They will not lose Fletcher. IMO

:jetssuck: :nesucks: :billsbite

Back
Top Bottom