So this is what i'm told... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So this is what i'm told...

teams that have won super bowls in recent years have all been running back by committee. The last true bell cow was Marshawn Lynch. so there is no point for over paying for RBs. its not about them getting hurt, its about how easily they can be replaced. Look how cheap we got Mostert for compared to his production over the last two season. VS over paying for aging RBs like Dalvin Cook, Derrick Henry, etc.

Disposable position:

2023Christian McCaffrey (27)825SFO
2022Josh Jacobs (24)1,653LVR
2021Jonathan Taylor (22)1,811IND
2020Derrick Henry (26)2,027TEN
2019Derrick Henry (25)1,540TEN
2018Ezekiel Elliott (23)1,434DAL
2017Kareem Hunt (22)1,327KAN
2016Ezekiel Elliott (21)1,631DAL
2015Adrian Peterson (30)1,485MIN
2014DeMarco Murray (26)1,845DAL
2013LeSean McCoy (25)1,607PHI
2012Adrian Peterson (27)2,097MIN
2011Maurice Jones-Drew (26)1,606JAX
2010Arian Foster (24)1,616HO

Not a lot of sustained success on that list.

Foster after 2010 played 6 more years with 4 good seasons , the rest was injury.
Jones-Drew played 3 more season after 2011 with limited production
AP was probably the best of the lot above and after 2012 had 3 productive seasons until he retired in 21
LeSean McCoy had 3 productive seasons at that level until he retired in 2020
DeMarco Murry played 3 seasons after 2014
Ezekiel Elliot has had 4 total season over 1000k rushing and looks to be over the hill
Kareem Hunt was on and done at this level
Derek Henry has had four season over 1000 yards with on 2000K. Now he looks tired.
Johnathan Taylor was on the trade block this year but still has some miles left
Josh Jacobs currently is the most productive out of the younger back.
McCaffery has been over 1000 yards three time in his career but is the most productive for all purpose yards.

Not a lot of sustained rushing success on that list. Always a younger dude.
Now list the garbage qb's that got paid and faded out shortly thereafter!

Now list the garbage qb's that got paid and faded out shortly thereafter!
That's up to you to do that research. You're the one making the claim.

If you think QBs are overpaid, and RBs are underpaid, fine by me, but unless you can show how it makes sense for teams to alter their approach, it's just pie in the sky.

That's up to you to do that research. You're the one making the claim.

If you think QBs are overpaid, and RBs are underpaid, fine by me, but unless you can show how it makes sense for teams to alter their approach, it's just pie in the sky.
A workaround for this could be to just play awful in years 4-5 to ensure you have a top 3 pick to restock the QB room with cheap young talent. I now know why I spent all that money going to College after 30+ years.

The narrative around the NFL is that the running back position cannot be paid or invested in because of the risk of injury. Really?

Daniel Jones 40 million
Deshaun Watson 46 million
Kirk Cousins 35 million
Joe Burrow 9 million
Anthony Richardson 8.5 million

Aaron Rodgers hurt in the very 1st quarter of game one 50.3 million probably out for the year.

Anthony Richardson 8.5 million

Kyler Murray 46.1 million (missed a good chunk of last year and this year)

All of these quarterbacks are out for the year or part of it but the league refuses to pay top tier running backs money a good bit above the franchise tag! I am not saying they should make 20 million a year but the top backs should be a good bit above the franchise tag yearly salary.
I would say that many of the examples QBs you are using were definitely bad decisions.

Jones, Watson and Murray for sure.

Not sure that's relevant to RBs, though. Bad decisions are bad decisions regardless of position.

There's no way Burrow and Herbert weren't getting top contracts. If not from their current teams, then someone else.

It's basic supply and demand. It is easier to replace production if you lose a RB than if you lose a QB. Right now, the QB talent in this league is very thin. I don't believe there are actually 32 NFL starting caliber QB's in the league right now. I mean, obviously there are 32 starting, but some of them are just not that good. But look how easily the value many running backs give is replaced. Melvin Gordon is an example. He was a good back; he gets injured and Ekeler comes in, no drop off. Try that with most starting QB's

It's basic supply and demand. It is easier to replace production if you lose a RB than if you lose a QB. Right now, the QB talent in this league is very thin. I don't believe there are actually 32 NFL starting caliber QB's in the league right now. I mean, obviously there are 32 starting, but some of them are just not that good. But look how easily the value many running backs give is replaced. Melvin Gordon is an example. He was a good back; he gets injured and Ekeler comes in, no drop off. Try that with most starting QB's
No need to remind me of Teddy and Brisket lol

A workaround for this could be to just play awful in years 4-5 to ensure you have a top 3 pick to restock the QB room with cheap young talent. I now know why I spent all that money going to College after 30+ years.
If only it were that simple.

It's really a crap shoot most of the time drafting QBs. Even if you get one, you have to develop him to some extent.

Now a team has invested not only a top pick or picks, they have invested a couple years minimum to see what they actually have.

Sure, they can just walk away and try it again but what if it doesn't work out again (chances are it won't)?

Now the team is going on a decade without a franchise QB. Dolphin fans know that drill.

That's why teams pay huge when the happen to hit. Look how long the QB dry spell was for Cincy. No way they weren't paying Burrow.

Now for OP, contrast the above situation with a RB. No comparison in demand whatsoever.

If only it were that simple.

It's really a crap shoot most of the time drafting QBs. Even if you get one, you have to develop him to some extent.

Now a team has invested not only a top pick or picks, they have invested a couple years minimum to see what they actually have.

Sure, they can just walk away and try it again but what if it doesn't work out again (chances are it won't)?

Now the team is going on a decade without a franchise QB. Dolphin fans know that drill.

That's why teams pay huge when the happen to hit. Look how long the QB dry spell was for Cincy. No way they weren't paying Burrow.

Now for OP, contrast the above situation with a RB. No comparison in demand whatsoever.
I was being facetious Mach. Borderline sarcastic I suppose. 😂

Ok well then stop throwing passes to them they are not wide outs! Stop asking them to block blitzing linebackers and defensive backs they are not offensive linemen! They are simply running backs!
Ok, this thread was a mistake and I get your point even though it's wrong. Doubling down only looks worse for ya, but I admire your grit.

I’m not the one that chooses the primary positions in the NFL. The GM’s do and they say QB, LT, WR1, DE, and CB are the primary positions to spend money on.
And it makes damn good sense to me. We can quibble about the order after QB, but RB is not a high value position for the simple reason they are easily replaced in most situations.

Can you replace a prime Henry? Probably not, but those guys are very few, and very far between.

And it makes damn good sense to me. We can quibble about the order after QB, but RB is not a high value position for the simple reason they are easily replaced in most situations.

Can you replace a prime Henry? Probably not, but those guys are very few, and very far between.
Right. The fact that there aren't 32 elite QBs in all of the United States of America baffles me. You would think in a nation of 370 million people, there would be 32 QVs with the talent equivalency of a Peyton Manning. But I digress.

Lol.....

That's a lame arguement.

Is this Dalvin Cook on a burner account?
I was going to ask this — and specifically if it was Dalvin Cook.

The anti-Jets flag does not evidence that it isn’t Cook. 😂

Back
Top Bottom