So this is what i'm told... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So this is what i'm told...

Backs have 50 and 60 catches a year and 150 to 250 carries a year but they are not a vital part of the offensives success?
It's more about how replaceable they are. It's a lot harder to find a competent QB.

Has nothing to do with injury. Has to do with it’s not a primary position in today’s NFL.
So it is said….

But when Mostert and Achane are cooking, they are very much an integral part of our high powered offense.

Marino never really had a run game to back him up. What set him apart is that everyone knew he was gonna throw, yet still couldn’t stop him. But it was a one sided offense.

If he had a run game to go with his unreal passing, multiple SBs and Lombardis would have resulted….

Don’t care who says what: a run game is (yeah, even in this day and age) critical.

We have everything we need. Just need to figure out how to show up hot for all four quarters.

So it is said….

But when Mostert and Achane are cooking, they are very much an integral part of our high powered offense.

Marino never really had a run game to back him up. What set him apart is that everyone knew he was gonna throw, yet still couldn’t stop him. But it was a one sided offense.

If he had a run game to go with his unreal passing, multiple SBs and Lombardis would have resulted….

Don’t care who says what: a run game is (yeah, even in this day and age) critical.

We have everything we need. Just need to figure out how to show up hot for all four quarters.
Agree. Our offense is good with a marginal run game. When we can run it effectively it's lethal.

So it is said….

It really helps create that space for the intermediate routes. If the LBs have to wait that extra beat to honor the run threat, it makes it practically impossible to get back into the passing lanes to affect those in-breaking routes.

It's now apparent that RBs are dime a dozen and not valued as much. Its now a passing league. I don't totally agree with that. RB is a still a brutal position and RBs are not protected like QBs in that backfield regarding tackles. I still think the best ones should be paid well especially when their shelf life is alot lower these days.
Like previous posters have said. Having Mostert AND Achane healthy is a serious threat to any Defense. Take them out and our RB unit looks bang average.

The average NFL team throws for 7 yards per attempt, the average NFL team runs for 4.2 yards per attempt. Shockingly, QBs, WRs and Tackles are more valuable than RBs...
Throws for 7 yards , what is it for completions though?

At least with a running back unless he fumbles it's a guaranteed completion lol

Throws for 7 yards , what is it for completions though?

At least with a running back unless he fumbles it's a guaranteed completion lol
The difference is the variance.... Most runs will tend to be around the mean while most passes are distributed away from it...

The narrative around the NFL is that the running back position cannot be paid or invested in because of the risk of injury. Really?

Daniel Jones 40 million
Deshaun Watson 46 million
Kirk Cousins 35 million
Joe Burrow 9 million
Anthony Richardson 8.5 million

Aaron Rodgers hurt in the very 1st quarter of game one 50.3 million probably out for the year.

Anthony Richardson 8.5 million

Kyler Murray 46.1 million (missed a good chunk of last year and this year)

All of these quarterbacks are out for the year or part of it but the league refuses to pay top tier running backs money a good bit above the franchise tag! I am not saying they should make 20 million a year but the top backs should be a good bit above the franchise tag yearly salary.
Why spend big money on an RB when you don't have to? Look at the top in the league currently: CMC paid well, #2 in yards Mostert 2.8 mil, #3 Swift 2.1 mil, #4 Cook 1.4 mil, #5 Etienne 3.2 mil. In contrast, Kamara is making $15 mil and in 7 games avg under 3.7 per carry. Henry has 30 fewer yards and 7 fewer TD's than Mostert but making almost 10mil more this year. Pacheco was a late draft pick making peanuts and I'd take him on our team.

Two things can be true.

Running back is an important position in the NFL.

The player playing running back is not important for many of the reasons stated (injuries, short career shelf life, plug and play from college, low draft pick investment, etc.)

Our very own Dan Marino changed the league to what it is now. RB are simply expendable these days sadly. You can't just plug and play QB's hence why they are valued so much but running backs are used and abused.

Point blank the QB position is way to high and salaries are getting out of control.
Out of control? Huh? If there wasn't a salary cap to artificially deflate their salary they'd get even more. They're underpaid if anything.

It's a passing league. Teams are passing about 65 percent of the time.

The running game has mostly become a committee approach. So, maybe a typical running back gets 10-15 carries a game. A quarterback is passing about 40-45 times a game.

I love the running game. It's still important and I do think the top guys who are bell cows should be paid.

But I think there are so many running backs drafted late who have had success, so teams are spending on other positions.

Back
Top Bottom