so you still think ryan tannehills not the top target in the draft... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

so you still think ryan tannehills not the top target in the draft...

good lord are some of you guys naive...this isn't about if YOU think tannehills worth a top 10 pick...this is jeff ieland and sherman...and maybe philbin also...anyways...if he's on the board i'd prepare for tannehill to be the pick and don't sleep on a move to #7 to make sure it happens

this top pick if he's there is locked up...
I'm on board if he's there at #8. He's clearly worked on a lot of things from the end of the season to his pro day. Still more work to be done but the potential is there. I hope we take him but if not I'm all over Trent Richardson...do we need a RB? No, but I'm not passing up a talent like that and I think he's a safer pick than Blackmon.

I doubt we pass on him if he's there at 8, but I won't be happy about it. Tannehill is by far the most raw "top 10" QB prospect I have seen come out in a long time. Not once in his collegiate career did Tannehill do anything special to go out and win a game against good competition. Point blank, he played very poorly in the 2nd half of basically every close game he has ever played against a decent team.
He put up good numbers, but in college (particularly the big 12) that doesn't really mean that much. Any impetus we have to draft him would purely be based on physical ability alone, and that's no reason to pick the guy 8th overall. He's going to be wildly overdrafted because of a QB needy league that sees a 6'4 230 lb kid that can move and throw the ball with velocity, but it takes a hell of a lot more than that to make it in the NFL.
We have SO many needs, I'd much rather trade down and try to get Weeden and fill some of the massive holes on this roster.
So beating Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas in his junior year doesn't count? Beating Baylor this year 55-28...that doesn't count either. The fact that his 6 losses this year were by a combined 33 points with the worst being 41-25 loss to Oklahoma (meaning the other 5 losses were a combined 17 points) means nothing.

It would seem to me that if you lose 30-29 to Oklahoma State, 42-38 to Arkansas, 38-31 to Missouri, 53-50 to Kansas State and 27-25 to Texas the problems aren't entirely on the offense or the QB...you've got some defensive issues. 34.6 ppg in those 5 losses by the offense....38 ppg given up by the defense. Were there things he could have done better? Sure and I believe a lot of those things can be coached into him and will improve with experience. I like him better than I like RGIII...a lot better.

everything in that article is what we already knew. Nothing enlightening or new there

I doubt we pass on him if he's there at 8, but I won't be happy about it. Tannehill is by far the most raw "top 10" QB prospect I have seen come out in a long time. Not once in his collegiate career did Tannehill do anything special to go out and win a game against good competition. Point blank, he played very poorly in the 2nd half of basically every close game he has ever played against a decent team.
He put up good numbers, but in college (particularly the big 12) that doesn't really mean that much. Any impetus we have to draft him would purely be based on physical ability alone, and that's no reason to pick the guy 8th overall. He's going to be wildly overdrafted because of a QB needy league that sees a 6'4 230 lb kid that can move and throw the ball with velocity, but it takes a hell of a lot more than that to make it in the NFL.
We have SO many needs, I'd much rather trade down and try to get Weeden and fill some of the massive holes on this roster.

and whos that remind you of? chad henne all over again. Lets not forget, matt moore >> chad henne.

everything in that article is what we already knew. Nothing enlightening or new there

i disagree with that...

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

So beating Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas in his junior year doesn't count? Beating Baylor this year 55-28...that doesn't count either. The fact that his 6 losses this year were by a combined 33 points with the worst being 41-25 loss to Oklahoma (meaning the other 5 losses were a combined 17 points) means nothing.

It would seem to me that if you lose 30-29 to Oklahoma State, 42-38 to Arkansas, 38-31 to Missouri, 53-50 to Kansas State and 27-25 to Texas the problems aren't entirely on the offense or the QB...you've got some defensive issues. 34.6 ppg in those 5 losses by the offense....38 ppg given up by the defense. Were there things he could have done better? Sure and I believe a lot of those things can be coached into him and will improve with experience. I like him better than I like RGIII...a lot better.

i think you could beat baylors defense...

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

i see tannehill as a 2nd round worthy pick on tape who has first round physical tools and upside and athleticism and as such is getting bumped up into the top half of round 1

The "winner" stuff on Ryan Tannehill is so stupid. How quickly he goes from being a guy that "just wins" in 2010 (6-1 record) to being a guy that "chokes" in 2011. D55 put it best, we're talking 38 points per game given up by the defense in those losses.

Oklahoma State is touted as a shining example of Tannehill choking but I only really found 2 or 3 bad throws in there that resulted in drives that ended prematurely in the second half. One he was just wide on a crossing route on 3rd down, so they couldn't keep going for the TD. Another was a bad interception. Texas A&M had called a certain play one too many times, giving the Cowboys defense enough of a look at it to change the way they defended it, Tannehill didn't anticipate the blitz and made a panicked decision. Picked off by a DB that cheated on his coverage responsibility because he'd seen the play three times already and knew Ryan would quickly check off the flat route. Third iffy throw was toward the end, catchable but not great ball placement and Jeff Fuller pops it up for an interception.

Other than that you've got an entire team letdown. Dropped balls. Fuller falls down on an anticipation route, resulting in an interception. Another guy catches the ball then fumbles it during his run after the catch. Penalties. Meanwhile Brandon Weeden gets going and starts coming on the defense like a freight train, which he did pretty often in 2010 and 2011.

I keep hearing that Tannehill is so "raw". I don't see it. That's not what I see when I watch him on tape. Jake Locker was "raw". In many ways, Robert Griffin is "raw". Ryan Tannehill looks pretty polished if you ask me. I just see a pretty good player playing pretty good football and every now and then forcing a ball he shouldn't.

I think we are in a good position. Sherman and Philbin should KNOW if he's the guy they want to bet thier future on. If so do whatever it takes to get him including moving up.
If not this is a great smoke screen and the guy they REALLY want might fall to us or be available in a trade down senerio if someone else moves up to get him.

Unlike Flynn where it was obvious going in that our interest and relative offer or non-offer would likely reflect what the guy who knows him best thinks of him, unfortunately IMO it won't be the same with Sherman and Tanny after all. That's unless Sherman is so sold on him that he and Philbin can convince Ireland to throw everything at Rick Spielman to get to #3. IMO the deal Rick strikes will be predicated on how much he wants Kalil or Blackmon and the likelihood of losing either or both. There are just too many players including KC and now the possibly the Eagles coupled with Cleveland maybe even trading up a slot themselves with their ammunition to preempt everyone else or taking him at 4 in addition to the Rams willingness to take offers at Washington's old #6 slot and Jacksonville one notch before us. If we don't end up with Tanny, it might be less a reflection on Sherman's opinion and more on the marketplace but sadly we'll not know for sure.

Interestingly - and relatedly, everything I read continues to include Pete Carroll as a potential trade up partner for someone despite signing Flynn. To me, that further confirms Philbin's opinion.

If these guys want him that badly, I'm in favor of doing whatever is required to be in a position to get him; however, philosophically, like losing out on Coach Mediocre and ending up with Philbin, maybe some things are mean NOT to happen for a good reason and we trade down, pick up an additional high pick and draft Weeden. I'd be fine with that too. :idk:

Blackmon is so overrated. He's no AJ Green or Julio Jones.

Blackmon will be a good receiver like alot of NFL receivers already. But he won't be great and that total blue chip guy. It's funny because just now some draft guys are saying he could slip down to the teens with Floyd going ahead of him.

Finally we're seeing a shade of common sense being bandied about. If he's drafted in the Top 5 or whatever there's a team that will be disappointed when comparing player to draft slot

With this article, it seemed to me like Peter King was trying to paint the Dolphins into a corner.

The way he put it, if the Dolphins don't draft Ryan Tannehill, then they are exactly what everyone says they are. But if they do draft him, then the criticisms are overdone.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Blackmon is so overrated. He's no AJ Green or Julio Jones.

Blackmon will be a good receiver like alot of NFL receivers. But he won't be great. It's funny because just now some draft guys are saying he could slip down to the teens with Floyd going ahead of him.

Finally we're seeing a shade of common sense being bandied about. If he's drafted in the Top 5 or whatever there's a team that will be disappointed when comparing player to draft slot

Does Justin Blackmon really have to be the next Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson to be worthy of a top 5 pick? If Hakeem Nicks were re-drafted today, would he not go in the top 5?

i agree that blackmons not the level of some of those other guys listed...but bottom line is he's not getting past #6...he's way too clean a prospect off the field and way too productive in college and he passed all the tests about his speed etc for him to get past #6...

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

With this article, it seemed to me like Peter King was trying to paint the Dolphins into a corner.

The way he put it, if the Dolphins don't draft Ryan Tannehill, then they are exactly what everyone says they are. But if they do draft him, then the criticisms are overdone.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Does Justin Blackmon really have to be the next Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson to be worthy of a top 5 pick? If Hakeem Nicks were re-drafted today, would he not go in the top 5?

if you ask me miami already painted itself into a corner with the offseason handling of the position...to me this pick could not be more freaking obvious...problem is everyone else knows it

If he's not there at #8 and Cleveland does take him I'm trying to figure out how we get Trent Richardson...kid is an elite player and I would love to get him but I have a hard time seeing him get past Tampa Bay unless the Bucs go with another elite player that also fills a need in Claiborne. Either way if Richardson makes it to Jacksonville's spot I see a few teams trading up for him there.

Forget about a WR or RB in the draft, Who would we be replacing with Richardson? Reggie Bush? I seriously doubt that. As for WR, Philbin has said we dont need an elite #1 WR in the WCO.

Personally, Im not all that high on Tannehill, but we do need a QB.

Look for the phins to draft either a DE, QB, LB, OL with their first pick, not necessarily in that order

So are the same people against drafting Tannehill the same people that say that we need to take risks to get a franchise QB and that we wont' get anywhere by playing it safe ? Cause I smell some hypocrisy..

Also in that same Peter King article, I was shocked by this Eli vs. Moore chart for the last 9 weeks of the season. Maybe someone else already knew this.

Matt Moore vs. Eli Manning
W-LComp%YardsTD-IntRating
Moore, Miami6-3.6121,79115-597.8
E. Manning, NY4-5.5832,80616-1186.4
Last nine weeks of the 2011 regular season

Being raw isn't necessarily what the defining factor is. Aaron Rodgers, Donavan McNabb, Steve McNair, Troy Aikman, and several others were all unpolished quarterbacks when they were drafted.

David Carr, Sam Bradford, Carson Palmer, and Peyton Manning were about as polished as it gets coming out of college. Only Peyton won a playoff game and it took him 6 years to do that.

Locker was more raw with his footwork, but had a special set of football intangibles and knack for making the players around him better. He was a clutch player who was comfortable with taking the game on his shoulders when he had to. He elevated a team that was 0-12 without him to a 6-6 record. Locker wasn't even supposed to be playing after the Oregon St. game towards the end of the season after he suffered broken ribs, but kept playing because he wanted his TEAM and his SENIORS to finally feel what it's like to be bowl eligible. He led those outmatched scrubs to a bowl victory over a supremely talented Nebraska team.

Tannehill is only more polished in terms of tying his footwork into his throws, but his arm isn't as quite as strong as Locker's, release isn't as fast, and doesn't elevate his teammates the way Locker did. He didn't have any mechanical flaws in his throwing motion, only lack of polish in his progressions and footwork, which is why he was a top 10 pick. During his limited playing time as a rookie, he led all rookie quarterbacks in QB rating.

Like I've said from the beginning, if a team is comfortable taking Tannehill in the top 10 with the understanding that they're passing up elite players in order to do it... go for it. As a football team, you're the one that has to look yourself in the mirror afterwards.

if you ask me miami already painted itself into a corner with the offseason handling of the position...to me this pick could not be more freaking obvious...problem is everyone else knows it

It was also thought that we'de take Mallet last year and Quinn a few years back. The Fins are interested, yes that's obvious, but if we you havent noticed yet, this new regime isn't going to over pay for something that they don't think is worth it.

Not saying your wrong, just saying it may not be as obvious as you think or as obvious they may want you to think.

Back
Top Bottom