Some bad, but still not panic time | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some bad, but still not panic time

Not sure whether you are suggesting that Fitz or Tua has a noodle arm , but just to be clear, Fitz has plenty of arm strength. Right now, Fitz's arm is considerably stronger than Tua's because of Tua's hip rehab. Once Tua is fully rehabbed ... I think Fitz will still have a stronger arm unless he precipitously declines in arm strength.

Today's reports underline Tua's lack of arm strength in particular, and if Tua's is the "noodle arm" to which you are referring, then I get that, but just would like to re-emphasize that it is a function of rehabbing his hip. Good QB's torque their body to throw, thereby generating much more power in their throws, so while Tua never had great arm strength, his current deficiency is temporary. Perhaps that is what you meant, and if so, I just wanted to clarify it so no one misunderstood.
You must be watching a different Fitzpatrick than I am. Because I certainly don’t see him as a QB with a strong arm. He doesn’t torque his body to throw the ball. Sometimes it appears he has to use his entire body just to throw the ball downfied.
If Tua ends up having a weaker arm than Fitzpatrick, as you seem to imply. I don’t see him having a long career in the NFL. Hopefully he is throwing the ball the way he is at this time because his hip is preventing him from having more velocity on the ball. We can only hope that as the hip gets better he will have more zip on his passes.

Last edited:
It sure would be nice to get some positive news out of camp. Aside from the surprise players that shine unexpectedly. Seems to be the same thing for the last decade. QB struggles, O/line struggles and rookie struggles.
C'mon Bro. This is a Dolphins board.

some times you just gotta be real -- it was pretty obvious in college before the hip

that Tua has a less than spectacular "NFL" arm. Couple that with lower body torque

issues and of course his range / velocity are going to be compromised in comparison

to what a high performance "NFL" arm can do in terms of depth / velocity.

If Tua is going to win in the NFL (IMO) he's going to do it based on accuracy, anticipation

and nuance stuff like looking off etc. The kid is never going to remotely resemble a beast

like Marino, or Mahomes, or Rodgers... Have to hope the hip becomes a ZERO issue and

the kid can gradually add some additional arm strength / zip / velocity because he isn't

going to have receivers OPEN like he did in college. Peeps forget the #1 challenge for

ANY college QB coming into the PROs = will their game translate? So let's just be real

for a second because so far Tua hasn't proved anything at the NFL level. Tho I know

it's apparently lots of fun for some to continuously trash Rosen -- Josh has the superior arm.

BNF
Just insert Burrows for Tua and this post makes complete sense

I see some of you guys never saw a gentleman named Chad Pennington, the best QB we had since Marino IMHO....his arm strength was a noodle arm, his accuracy and processing mindblowing. Fitz, has a cannon in comparison....

I see some of you guys never saw
I see some of you guys never saw a gentleman named Chad Pennington, the best QB we had since Marino IMHO....his arm strength was a noodle arm, his accuracy and processing mindblowing. Fitz, has a cannon in comparison....

Also there was this guy named Montana, though he did not have a Noodle Arm, did not exactly come close to having a cannon either. Heard he did pretty well for himself with a championship or two...Or three...or four.

Not sure whether you are suggesting that Fitz or Tua has a noodle arm , but just to be clear, Fitz has plenty of arm strength. Right now, Fitz's arm is considerably stronger than Tua's because of Tua's hip rehab. Once Tua is fully rehabbed ... I think Fitz will still have a stronger arm unless he precipitously declines in arm strength.

Today's reports underline Tua's lack of arm strength in particular, and if Tua's is the "noodle arm" to which you are referring, then I get that, but just would like to re-emphasize that it is a function of rehabbing his hip. Good QB's torque their body to throw, thereby generating much more power in their throws, so while Tua never had great arm strength, his current deficiency is temporary. Perhaps that is what you meant, and if so, I just wanted to clarify it so no one misunderstood.
I don’t follow college ball so I don’t know anything about Tua’s arm strength. If Fitz has a stronger arm that doesn’t seem positive to me as watching him last season you could see a lot has come off of it and he never had a cannon even when younger. Would you put Tua when healthy in the arm strength category of a young Fitz or stronger?

some times you just gotta be real -- it was pretty obvious in college before the hip

that Tua has a less than spectacular "NFL" arm. Couple that with lower body torque

issues and of course his range / velocity are going to be compromised in comparison

to what a high performance "NFL" arm can do in terms of depth / velocity.

If Tua is going to win in the NFL (IMO) he's going to do it based on accuracy, anticipation

and nuance stuff like looking off etc. The kid is never going to remotely resemble a beast

like Marino, or Mahomes, or Rodgers... Have to hope the hip becomes a ZERO issue and

the kid can gradually add some additional arm strength / zip / velocity because he isn't

going to have receivers OPEN like he did in college. Peeps forget the #1 challenge for

ANY college QB coming into the PROs = will their game translate? So let's just be real

for a second because so far Tua hasn't proved anything at the NFL level. Tho I know

it's apparently lots of fun for some to continuously trash Rosen -- Josh has the superior arm.

BNF
Rosen does have a laser for an arm. He just looks late on a lot of throws as if he processes a split second slower than what’s needed to be effective. If that’s something he can learn (game slows down) he can be a good QB.

I don’t follow college ball so I don’t know anything about Tua’s arm strength. If Fitz has a stronger arm that doesn’t seem positive to me as watching him last season you could see a lot has come off of it and he never had a cannon even when younger. Would you put Tua when healthy in the arm strength category of a young Fitz or stronger?
Tua played in a great system with great players and was generally accurate. But he never had great arm strength. His arm is not a pop-gun arm, it's just more average. Of the top 6 QB's in this class I'd say his arm is stronger than Burrow's but not as strong as the rest. The elite arm strength guys were Jacob Eason, Justin Herbert and Jordan Love. The rest of the guys were a notch below those three. In the NFL, Tua has below-average arm strength for a starting NFL QB, but that does not mean his arm is not strong enough, because arm strength is one of the important factors for QB's, and Tua's is in an acceptable range. For comparisons, it is significantly less-strong than Tannehill's arm, who has an average or slightly above average NFL arm.

The issue is that right now Tua's hip rehab is preventing him from putting full torque through his lower body to generate the power he usually generates, so until he heals up, his arm strength will be temporarily well below average.

Since when has Tua's arm strength been a problem? I have seen him throw a pretty nice deep ball.

Pre-injury, it wasn’t an issue. And won’t be once he’s fully rehabbed.

These guys are blowing hot air. I’ve posted numerous videos debunking this bogus theory, including the game winner he threw in the Nat’l title game. Nothing wrong with that arm.

Pre-injury, it wasn’t an issue. And won’t be once he’s fully rehabbed.

These guys are blowing hot air. I’ve posted numerous videos debunking this bogus theory, including the game winner he threw in the Nat’l title game. Nothing wrong with that arm.
You are assuming he will fully heal from the hip injury he had. While it is very possible his recovery will allow him to live a normal life until he is older and needs hip replacement surgery. There is still a big question if his hip will allow him to ever have the velocity on the ball he had before the injury or whether his hip will hold up to the pounding he will receive playing in the NFL.

I thought Tua was a great college QB but my greatest concern with the Dolphins drafting him was that the hip injury would prevent him from ever being the QB he could have been prior to the injury, I had no problem with them drafting Tua at 5 and not moving up to draft him. At least if he doesn’t work out it will on have cost them one draft pick.

I certainly hope he has a long and successful career with the Dolphins but I still have my own concerns how his hip will hold up in the NFL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom