Some unexpected hurdles Miami Dolphins will face in 2020 offseason rebuild | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some unexpected hurdles Miami Dolphins will face in 2020 offseason rebuild

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The two-pronged attack the Miami Dolphins will launch next spring to return to respectability — they say title glory, but they must walk before they run — involves loading the roster with very good veteran free agents and using all the draft picks on Earth to select the NFL’s future stars.

And it could happen because the Dolphins have three first-round draft picks and two second-round picks next April and another load of picks the following year. And they will boast upwards of $120 million to $130 million in salary cap space next spring — the most in the NFL.

But before we address how many diamonds that Dolphins Super Bowl ring will carry, the reality is there will be obstacles.

I'm sure there is some truth to the factors pointed out in the article, but it is probably being a bit overblown, IMO.

I can understand any player wanting to go to a good situation, as opposed to a questionable one, but the reality is the Dolphins have been set up to compete in an unprecidentedly short period of time. I would think many young player would see, and possibly want to be a part of that.

Almost every player drafted rd1-3 with, ironicly, the possible exeption of QB, will almost be assured of an opportunity for a starting gig.

The writer is correct that our staff will be selling a vision, but isn't that true of all but a handful of teams that are in their "championship window"?

As far as FA acquisitions, It really depends on the individual. I don't think throwing massive amounts of money at linemen is in the plan. We are more likely going after assignment sound technitions that do not have the leverage with their current teams. Many free agent signings next season will probably be shorter term deals, with higher up front $, but easy outs. That will be attractive to a certain type of player.

Only the select few in the NFL have the luxury of being discriminating in their choice of teams. And I don't think the Dolphins have any reason to pursue those in this upcoming offseason. Unless there is some change in philosophy it looks like the team will continue to pursue mid-level free agents, most of whom are mostly interested in securing a starting gig or a place in the rotation. The Dolphins can offer the Tacos of the world a platform to showcase their talents that they wouldn't receive on a contending team. There are still only 32 teams in the world and once you're banished to the realm of the CFL and XFL its really tough to get back.

I don't think there will be any difficulty in signing players. The difficulty is in identifying those that will excel with these coaches....the same task every pro GM faces.

The two-pronged attack the Miami Dolphins will launch next spring to return to respectability — they say title glory, but they must walk before they run — involves loading the roster with very good veteran free agents and using all the draft picks on Earth to select the NFL’s future stars.

And it could happen because the Dolphins have three first-round draft picks and two second-round picks next April and another load of picks the following year. And they will boast upwards of $120 million to $130 million in salary cap space next spring — the most in the NFL.

But before we address how many diamonds that Dolphins Super Bowl ring will carry, the reality is there will be obstacles.

I'm out

When we have Tua we will be the new envy of the AFCE - when we start Wearing a tread to the podium to select bad ass players we will be the envy of the AFC and
when we start spending we will be the envy of the NFL

Forget all this its boils down do we have the right coach and GM then the players will follow if not this is a waste of time

Not to burst anyone's bubble. But I've recently read, Juwan James' comp pick is in jeapordy of being lowered to a 4th rounder instead of a 3rd rounder that was originally expected. If James misses a lot of time due to his current injury situation, its expected to hurt the comp pick formula and lower the pick to the 4th.

Not to burst anyone's bubble. But I've recently read, Juwan James' comp pick is in jeapordy of being lowered to a 4th rounder instead of a 3rd rounder that was originally expected. If James misses a lot of time due to his current injury situation, its expected to hurt the comp pick formula and lower the pick to the 4th.
bummer - never liked the player never liked the pick of a soft RT in the mid first rd - dude still biting our ***

Sucks!

There will be some free agents who have a window of opportunity and may not want to come to Miami to start from the ground up. However, there will be plenty of guys who will love the opportunity to make a name for themselves. Although we can't promise much but we can assure any offensive player that they will have a 1st round QB throwing to them. If we were to "tank" again next year then I could see free Agents staying away; that's what this year is about.

I really don’t think this SHOULD be a factor. Smart players should realize we have picks and money to become relevant quickly. I would say if this is a factor it’s an indictment on Grier. Meaning players don’t believe in him making the right picks and spending that money wisely. If that’s the case we should fire him.

Back
Top Bottom